Rendering the Future of Architecture and Design
In March, each of Stevenson’s three levels of architecture courses: Architectural Design, Civil Engineering and Architecture, and Advanced Architectural Design, submitted renderings of interior and exterior designs to be voted on in an online poll. The submissions were incredible and each course had several first place winners:
Advanced Architectural Design
- Vedant Rupwal (Sophomore), Exterior Design
- Chahat Kapoor (Senior), Interior Design
- Charlie Carr (Senior), Exterior Design
- Kellen McGowan (Junior), Interior Design
Civil Engineering & Architecture
- Peter Wall (Junior), Exterior Design
- Mia Mikolajczak (Junior), Interior Design
- Ella Brody (Sophomore), Interior Design
- Sam Minn (Sophomore), Exterior Design
- Michael Zaslavskiy (Senior), Interior Design
- Abby Jiang (Junior)
- Allison Parks (Freshman)
- Valerie Panich (Sophomore)
To see each rendering up close, check out the slideshow. Congratulations to each of these students and thank you for your participation!
Calling all Sophomore Families and Students!
Have you considered scheduling a Sophomore SCoPE meeting? SHS counselors are inviting parents/guardians and students to attend a 30 minute one-on-one meeting from April 5 – May 14 during school hours. During the meeting, you might cover topics like academics, extracurricular involvement, social emotional strengths/challenges, post secondary goals and how your student’s counselor can provide support throughout the high school journey. Check out a copy of the email sent on the Parents web page for more information and Calendly links to schedule an appointment with your student’s counselor.
Breaking the Stigma of Mental Illness
The Peer Helpers are hosting their 2nd Annual Mental Health Forum on Friday, April 9, from 6:30-8 p.m. This virtual event includes students, faculty and community providers discussing various mental health topics in order to help educate one another and help break the stigmas associated with mental health.
For more information, check out the Peer Helper’s Forum video. All are welcome to join this Zoom session!
Freshman, Enjoy Your (Concrete) Mixer!
In August, you didn’t get your Freshman Mixer, so in April, the PPA (Patriot Parent Association) has decided to give you a Concrete Mixer!
Members of the Class of 2024 can grab a FREE Concrete Mixer accompanied by some tunes from Stevenson’s DJ Club and greetings from Stevenson’s Mascot, Pat Riot, today, April 5 from 4-7 p.m. at the Lincolnshire Culvers, 405 Milwaukee Ave. The Freshman Mentor Program will also be handing out Class of 2024 giveaways to the first 650 freshmen to attend.
Don’t worry, if you can’t make it today, you can still redeem a Concrete Mixer through April 7! Just show the email print out from March 31 to receive your free treat.
PATRIOT SPORTS NEWS
The Patriots (5-1, 3-1) scored four goals in the first half in a 5-2 victory over Lake Forest. Alem Duratovic opened up the game with the first goal, assisted by Steven Nyc. Duratovic went on to score the next two goals, assisted by Adam Hamad and then on a breakaway. Anthony Skordilis made it 4-0 on a goal assisted by Adam Hamad. In the second half, Lake Forest broke through to score a goal. Anthony Skordilis answered with the Patriot’s fifth goal, assisted by Henry Chen. Lake Forest scored one more on a corner kick to finish out the half.
Girls Water Polo
Maggie Bauwens and Catie Delaney both had three blocks in the 17-3 win over Warren. Bauwens also had three assists. Elizabeth White had three goals, while Camilla Maya, Becca Stone and Kayla Wadsworth each had two goals. Wadsworth led the steals category with four total. Their next game is against Mundelein on April 6 at 6 p.m.
Stevenson (2-1) defeated Zion-Benton 34-6 behind 10/18 passing and two touchdowns by Senior quarterback Liam Crawley. Senior Tristan Moskovic had six rushes for 33 yards on one of his two touchdowns. Senior Andrew Miller rushed for 23 yards and one touchdown. Junior Ryan Hynes and Senior Jayden McFadden also had scores for the Patriots. They travel to Libertyville on Friday, April 9 for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff.
Boys Water Polo
Stevenson (3-0, 1-0) defeated Warren 25-2 behind the strong play of Freshman Olin Kusevskis (6 goals) and Senior Evan Engel (5 goals). Seniors Dimitriy Kobets and Drew Wangard also chipped in 4 and 3 goals, respectively.
Lakes High School opened up the first half with three goals, and it was too much to overcome as the Patriots fell 3-2. Daniel Saltzman answered for the Patriots, leaving the score 3-1 at the half. In the second half, Adam Hamad scored, assisted by Segi Odongo, but that was the closest they would get. Their next matchup is a return home for Senior Night against Waukegan on Tuesday, April 6 at 6:30 p.m. in the Stevenson Stadium.
Several Stevenson Patriots (4-1, 4-1) chipped in for a defeat over conference opponent Warren over the weekend, 25-17, 25-23. Amanda Holsen (11 kills, 6 digs), Julie Weiler (3 aces, 3 digs), Brooke Micek (13 asst.) and Ella Wicklund ( 2 solo and 2 asst. blocks) contributed in true team fashion. The next match for the Patriots is Monday, April 5 at Zion Benton. Daily Herald article.
Boys Water Polo Invite
Stevenson went 3-0 over the weekend to improve to a 6-0 record on the season. Below are the stats and top goal scorers:
- Stevenson defeated New Trier 10-4, holding New Trier scoreless in the second half. Sammy Maya, Olin Kusevskis, Angelos Koutsogeorgas and David Gorin all scored one goal. Alex Mitchell had eight saves. Dima Kobets scored three goals and had two assists and four steals while Drew Wangard shot three goals and had two assists.
- Stevenson also defeated St. Rita 19-6 with 10 different goal scorers. Dima Kobets had three goals and four assists. Nathan Mossman also had three goals and four steals. Sammy Maya, Olin Kusevskis, Grant Huey, Drew Wangard and Jeffery Mao all had two goals apiece. Ethan Berkovich, Angelos Koutsogeorgas and Sully Swan all added one goal.
- Finally, Stevenson defeated Fenwick for the second time this season by a score of 15-5. The goalies, Alex Mitchel and Mark Younan, each recorded six saves. Dima Kobets scored five goals with four steals and two assists. Nathan Mossman and Drew Wangard both recorded three goals. Finally, David Gorin, Angelos Koutsogeorgas, Olin Kusevskis and Jeffrey Mao each added a goal.
Next up, the Patriots will be in action on Tuesday, April 6 at Mundelein.
Plans To Broaden Asian American History Lessons
The deadly mass shooting in Atlanta has drawn attention to the often excluded lessons in U.S. schools about the history of 22 million Asian Americans. Some organizations and states are working to increase teacher resources and broaden Asian American history education.
Study Shows Pre-K Improves Scores
Students who attended Georgia’s public pre-K program at the age of four were more than twice as likely to meet academic standards on state standardized math testing into middle school.