Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020

Bass Fishing Club Nets Top Spots in Statewide Series
The Illinois Bass Fishing Coaches Association lists the two members of the Stevenson Bass Fishing Club on their records page in the biggest bag and the biggest weight total categories in the ICASSTT series. Ninety-two different teams have competed against Stevenson in four tournaments this fall, and freshman Matthew Qualich and sophomore Charlie Grisamore top the charts for total weight. Qualich caught the biggest bass on record at 5 lbs. 12 oz. and Qualich and Grisamore hold the top bag record with 12 lbs. 3 oz.

Statesman News Magazine Wins Journalism Award
During the Oct. 16 virtual Kettle Moraine Press Association Journalism Conference, the Stevenson Stateman student newspaper received the ALL-KEMPA award. One judge described the Statesman as “clearly one of the best student news magazines in the country.”

To get an idea of the breadth of this publication, view some of their recent articles including articles on Eliminating Disparities in Inclusivity, how the Information Learning Center has Adapted to Remote Learning, a look at Social Activism in our Student Body, recent Presidential Debate columns and the club’s participation in Monstober events at Stevenson. The sponsor for this club is Stevenson journalism teacher Dean Bradshaw.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Monstober Virtual Pep Assembly
Student Council will host its first-ever virtual pep assembly tomorrow from 3:30-4:30 p.m. The virtual assembly will include a fall sports montage/highlights video, Stevenson cheerleaders will be teaching the football loyalty cheer, and a water balloon fight between Student Council, National Honor Society members, and Freshman Mentors will be taking place along with other activities. All students who attend the virtual assembly will be entered in a raffle where three winners will receive a $10 gift card to either Starbucks, Amazon, or Chipotle! The link to access the assembly will be live at 3:30 p.m.

PATRIOT SPORTS NEWS
Stevenson varsity teams were not scheduled for athletic contests yesterday, Oct, 21, 2020

The girls swimming and diving varsity virtual meet vs. Evanston High School is scheduled for today, Oct. 22, 2020 at 5 p.m.

EDUCATION IN THE NEWS

Hybrid Learning Plans Halted by Area School Districts
Libertyville, Vernon Hills and Barrington-area school districts announced that hybrid learning plans would be paused or delayed in response to reports of “substantial” community transmission of COVID-19. This scene is also playing out in other school districts around the state. After Naperville Unit District 203 officials announced that that the district’s transition to partial in-person learning would be halted due to rising area COVID-19 cases, parents expressed a desire for more consistency in the process. Junior high and high school students in the district moved into an online block schedule this week.

How College Freshmen are Coping During the Pandemic
College freshmen report difficulty dealing with social restrictions and last-minute changes to living arrangements created by dorm closures, online classes and limits placed on social gatherings.

Mathematician Develops a Company to Help Black Girls Build Confidence in Math
To inspire girls to lean into math, a mathematician created a company to increase math confidence and address math anxiety in black girls to help them succeed in class today and society tomorrow.

Remote Learning Expected to Continue for 2nd Quarter for Chicago Public Schools
Three sources with knowledge of the CPS school system report that most CPS students will not return for in-person learning the second quarter which begins in November and continues through early February.

Chicago Public School Enrollment Plummets This Fall
The largest drop in CPS enrollment over the last two decades was reported with a decrease in enrollment of 15,000 students which officials indicate was driven by a decline in new families enrolling in preschools and elementary schools.