Patriettes Win National Dance Championship
Less than a month after winning the Illinois High School Association state championship, the varsity Patriettes captured the Dance Team Union national championship in Orlando, Fla., last weekend. Stevenson captured the Large Varsity Jazz competition, topping 13 other schools. In addition to the team championship, Patriettes senior captain Jorie Knysz won top honors in the solo competition among juniors and seniors. Fellow captain and classmate Maya Newmark was seventh among 70 senior soloists.
23 FCCLA Members Heading to State
Twenty-three members of the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America club qualified for April’s state competition based on their results at the Illinois Section 5 regional on Friday at Harper College in Palatine. Eight students won gold medals and most outstanding awards, the highest honors in their category:
- Junior Esha Raut (Professional Presentation)
- Senior Roya Lippe (Say YES to FCS Education)
- Senior Mariam Reichert (STAR Fashion Construction)
- Sophomores Alice Lua and Angela Zhou (Interior Design)
- Junior Natali Freihammer (STAR Leadership)
- Senior Emily Feldman and junior Taylor Irvin (Focus on Children)
Also advancing to state with gold medals were the team of sophomores Grace Harrington and Heloise Jacobs (Child Literacy). They will be joined by 13 club members who earned silver medals: juniors Jessie Mazursky (STAR Fashion Design), Danielle Schwartz (Nutrition and Wellness), Emery Etzel (Interior Design) and Karolina Tuska (Child Literacy); junior Kendall Goldenson and sophomore Livy Alton (Focus on Children); sophomores Abby Kogan (Frosted Cakes), Rinnell Borges and Madeline Lewis (Interior Design), sophomores Kylie Faber and Gabriella Barshak (Public Policy Advocate), and Ashley Madeyski (Personal Childcare Provider); and freshman Anjini Thomas (Apparel Construction). Sophomore Hailey Mulvihill earned a bronze medal (Public Policy Advocate).
The sponsors of Stevenson FCCLA are Michelle Backes and Jamie Rieman. The state competition takes place April 2-3 in Springfield.
Stevenson Foundation Online Raffle and Auction Ends Tuesday
The Stevenson High School Foundation’s 2020 Online Raffle and Auction closes at 3 p.m. Tuesday. This year’s virtual event, sponsored by Laura George Consulting, features exclusive packages including luxury vacations, junior and senior parking spots for the entire year, and sports experiences. Click here to view the complete raffle and auction catalog, purchase raffle tickets, and place bids. Proceeds from the raffle and auction will benefit such foundation programs as Stevenson to College (S2C) and Kids in Need (KIN). Raffle packages and auction items include:
- Vacation packages to Cabo San Lucas, Las Vegas, Pebble Beach, and Whistler, plus a package for up to 16 people to Antigua.
- VIP parking spaces on campus in the 2020-21 school year for one member of the Class of 2021 and one from the Class of 2022.
- VIP parking and seating for four families at this spring’s commencement ceremony.
- Tickets for one Cubs-White Sox Crosstown Classic game, and for an upcoming Chicago Blackhawks contest.
- A turn-key pre-Prom gathering for 30.
Two Debaters Named to All-State Team
Stevenson’s debate team took part in the Illinois Congressional Debate Association state tournament Saturday at Harper College in Palatine. Two SHS students made the 10-member ICDA all-state team: senior Sunny Gandhi and junior Aditi Singh. In the invitational chambers, two students were place-winners. Sophomores Uma (Deepa) Pulugurtha and Jesenia Parthasarathy earned second and third place, respectively.
Three Restaurant Fundraisers Scheduled for Tuesday
Three SHS organizations are holding fundraisers at area restaurants on Tuesday:
- Band Parents Organization, 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., at MOD Pizza, 701 N. Milwaukee Ave., in Vernon Hills. Mention “Stevenson band” when ordering.
- The boys lacrosse team, 4-8 p.m., at Chipotle, 375 N. Milwaukee Ave., in Vernon Hills. Mention “Stevenson lacrosse” when ordering or show this flyer.
- String Parents Association, 5-9 p.m., at Cafe Zupas, 887 N. Milwaukee Ave., in Vernon Hills. Mention Stevenson when ordering or show this flyer. The flyer also has instructions for placing orders online.
Senior Earns Two State Gymnastics Medals
Senior Emily Weinstein capped her high school gymnastics career by winning two medals at last weekend’s Illinois High School Association state meet at Palatine High School. Emily, making her third consecutive appearance at state, finished fourth in the all-around competition on Friday with a score of 37.55. On Saturday, in the individual event finals, she placed third in vault with a 9.7. (Click here to watch Emily’s vault performance.) Emily is the first Patriot state medalist since Alyssa Weisberg won the balance beam in 2014. She also is the first SHS gymnast to earn a medal in all-around and vault since 2012, when Ali Castriano finished fourth in both. “It was a great way to end (my senior year),” Emily told the Daily Herald. “I worked hard to get this far and wanted to keep on improving. So, I’m very happy.”
Boys Swimming and Diving Wins Sixth Straight Sectional
The boys swimming and diving team won its sixth straight sectional championship on Saturday, breaking five school and pool records and qualifying 10 Patriots for this weekend’s state meet at Evanston Township High School. Stevenson, the host school, won six of the 12 events, outscoring Barrington, 299-210, and 10 other teams. See the official sectional results. In four of its six victories, SHS set a school or pool record:
- Sophomore Jack White won the 1-meter diving competition with an 11-dive score of 504.20, breaking the previous mark of 488.15 set by Matthew Krames in 2017.
- The 200-yard medley relay team of sophomore Josh Song and seniors AJ Carollo, Jack Zhang and Jake Kim set a school and pool record with its winning time of 1:31.78. The old school and pool record of 1:34.04 was set in 2018; AJ was one of the swimmers in that quartet. Watch the 200 medley relay race.
- Josh established a new school record en route to winning the 100 butterfly in 49.50 seconds. The old record of 50.05 was set by Tommy Gregory in 2003.
- Senior Ari Zaritsky set a school record in the 100 breaststroke with his time of 57.65, eclipsing the previous best of 58.82 by Joseph Song in 2018.
The Patriots’ other winning entries were Jack Zhang in the 200 individual medley (1:54.96), and the 200 free relay squad with Jake, Josh, Jack Zhang and freshman Jack Curtin (1:26.15). All of Stevenson’s winners qualified for state.
AJ also qualified in three other events. He was second in the 200 free (1:44.10) and third in the 100 backstroke (52.08), and was part of the runner-up 400 free relay (3:09.86) with Jake, Jack Zhang and freshman Jonny Farber. Jake and sophomore Brandon Xiong punched their ticket in the 50 free with second- and third-place efforts in 21.67 and 21.71, respectively. Jonny qualified with a fourth-place performance in the 100 backstroke (52.60), and classmate Danny Silverstein also earned his first state trip by placing second in diving (456.40). See the list of all state meet qualifiers and their times.
“I think this group has shown what youth can do,” head coach Doug Lillydahl told the Daily Herald. “Our young kids believe. They put in the work. I’m just really proud of them.”
Basketball Team Clinches Share of NSC Title
The varsity boys basketball team won both of its games last weekend, improving to 24-4 on the season and extending its winning streak to eight games. The Patriots clinched a share of the North Suburban Conference championship on Friday with a 52-33 win over Warren in Gurnee. (Watch the NFHS Network replay.) Senior Matthew Ambrose scored 17 points and grabbed five rebounds for SHS, which improved to 12-1 in the NSC. Stevenson can win the league title outright by beating Lake Forest in the Sports Center at 7 p.m. Wednesday. If the Patriots win on Wednesday, it would be their eighth consecutive NSC championship. On Saturday, Stevenson beat Benet Academy, 51-35, in a non-conference contest in the Sports Center. (NFHS Network replay) Senior Matt Kaznikov led all scorers with 13 points, while Matthew added 11. Fellow senior John Ittounas had 10 points and six rebounds, while classmate RJ Holmes pulled down nine rebounds to go along with five points. After the game, Matt talked with Comcast Network Sports about his performance, and that of his team. Read the Daily Herald’s account of the game.
Other Weekend Varsity Results
Lake Forest 51, Stevenson 46: The Scouts (25-8) beat the Patriots (25-8) on Friday to capture the IHSA Class 4A Lake Forest Regional championship, their third in the last four years. Sophomore Ava Bardic scored 16 points to lead SHS, which closed its season by winning 13 of its last 15 games. Sophomore Simone Sawyer added 15 points and nine rebounds. The two teams split their regular-season games. – Daily Herald | NFHS Network replay
Stevenson at IHSA Class 3A Individual State Tournament: The Patriots’ quartet of qualifiers were eliminated with their second loss during consolation round action on Friday. Senior Matt Millman, making his first state appearance, pinned his opponent from Maine South at 195 pounds before getting knocked out by fall in the second round of wrestlebacks. He finished the year with a 13-7 record. Stevenson’s other three entries fell in their first consolation match: junior Keegan Houlihan (30-11) at 285, sophomore Cole Rhemrev (36-7) at 120, and freshman Lorenzo Frezza (36-7) at 113. – Official Results