Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017

Statesman Earns Honors at Fall Journalism Conference

Stevenson’s student newspaper, the Statesman, and its website (statesmanshs.org) earned honors Friday at the annual fall journalism conference hosted by the Kettle Moraine Press Association (KEMPA) at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

For the third straight year, the Statesman was rated All-KEMPA — the highest rating possible — scoring 1,137 out of a possible 1,200 points. The website also earned All-KEMPA honors for the first time.

Several students won awards, with the school bringing home two Best of Show awards. Seniors Max Cohn and Lawrence Kreymer earned a Best of Show award in Sports News for their coverage of the wrestling team’s third straight conference championship last winter. Also earning a Best of Show was the staff editorial on safety at Stevenson.

Here are the other award winners. The contest featured a total of 519 entries from students at 23 schools. A total of 333 awards, including honorable mentions, were given.

Late Arrival on Thursday

Stevenson will follow a late-arrival schedule on Thursday. Classes will begin at 10:30 a.m. The Stand Strong Coalition reminds parents that late-start days can provide students with unmonitored time prior to school, and can lead to high-risk behavior for some, such as drinking and smoking marijuana. The coalition recommends that parents ask their students these four questions: Where will you be? Who will you be with? What will you be doing? and What time will you be leaving home? For more tips, visit standstrongcoalition.org.

Student Organizes Hurricane Relief Fundraiser

Sophomore Simone Ervin and the SHS Jazz Bands have organized a fundraiser to benefit hurricane victims. The “Stevenson Storm of Hope” will be held from 3-8 p.m. Thursday at the Culver’s in Buffalo Grove. Members of the jazz bands and the Jazz Ensemble will perform during the event, which will raise money for the American Red Cross and its hurricane relief efforts.

Hope Remains for Mother of Former Student

Ten years ago this month, former SHS student Lee Cutler went missing. Police in Wisconsin found his locked Toyota Corolla parked alongside a highway east of Baraboo and close to the Baraboo River. Despite evidence that he had thrown himself into the river, his body was never found. His mother, Beth Nathan, continues to hold out hope that her son is still alive. She talked with Daily Herald columnist Burt Constable, and the story appears on the front page of today’s paper.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here for today’s athletic schedule

Monday’s Varsity Results

Girls Cross Country

Stevenson at North Suburban Conference Championships: Even without top runner Isabelle Sparreo, the Patriots won their second straight conference title. Stevenson edged Libertyville, 40-45, and had three of the top seven runners at Warren High School’s O’Plaine campus. Junior Natalie Sorenson finished third (17:48.7), classmate Kendall Roberts was sixth (18:16.5) after finishing fourth last year, and senior Natalie Sparreo placed seventh for the second straight season (18:24.5). Sophomore Caimin Xi came in 11th (18:50.3), senior Lauren Appell was 13th (18:53.9) and senior Gabriela Jagielo finished 19th (19:03.0). All of them earned all-conference honors. – Official Results | Daily Herald

Boys Cross Country

Stevenson at North Suburban Conference Championships: Senior Brett Lucas finished fifth overall to lead the Patriots to a third-place finish in the team standings. Brett ran the 3-mile trek at Warren’s O’Plaine campus in 15:04.5. Two other Pats earned all-conference honors: senior Jacob Sparreo was 17th (15:49.4) and classmate Tim Green took 20th (15:55.8). The other top runners for Stevenson were junior Alex Beckerman (24th, 15:58.1), senior Ethan Simanek (30th, 16:15.2) and senior Raven Jo (31st, 16:15.7). – Official Results | Daily Herald

Soccer Regional on SBN Tonight

The Stevenson Broadcast Network will have live coverage of tonight’s IHSA boys soccer regional between Stevenson and Wheeling, beginning at 6:30 in the Stadium. You can catch the action on the SBN web page.

Okmin’s Five TD Passes Highlight Football Win

Here are some of the highlights from the varsity football team’s 42-0 win over Waukegan on Sunday. Junior quarterback Cole Okmin threw five touchdown passes, three of them to senior Alex Capstick. Cole finished the game 19-of-26 passing for 281 yards. Alex caught four passes in all for 80 yards. Senior Tyler Porzycki was Cole’s top target, making eight receptions for 130 yards and a TD. Sophomore Jean-Marc Etienne had a rushing touchdown and also caught a TD pass. Sophomore Jordan Vincent had a 61-yard TD run. Defensively, senior Seth Johnson made a team-high eight tackles, while junior Maema Njonmeta had three tackles for loss. Junior John Greenbury and senior Jack Furey had Interceptions, and junior Ryan Miller recovered a fumble.

Ceremony for Boys Golf Team Wednesday Before School

State golf champion Jackson Bussell and the rest of the boys golf team will be honored during a recognition ceremony at 8 a.m. Wednesday in the Recital Hall portion of the Performing Arts Center. Stevenson finished third at last weekend’s IHSA Class 3A state tournament, its highest placing in program history.

Correction

Monday’s Digest misspelled the first name of boys golfer Conan Pan.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Farmer’s Market During Lunch Wednesday

All students are invited to participate in Sodexo’s farmer’s market during the lunch periods Wednesday in the Wood Commons. The following items will be available for purchase: assorted berries and tomatoes, spaghetti squash, carrots, sweet corn, pumpkins, taffy apples and more.

Buy a T-Shirt for “Pink Out Week”

Join SHS Athletics in its “Pink Out Week” to raise money for Susan G. Komen and its breast cancer research efforts. Special T-shirts will be on sale for $10 in the Wood Commons during lunch periods today through Friday, or while supplies last. Wear your shirts to Friday’s football game.

PPA Bake Sale Wednesday Afternoon

Don’t miss the PPA Bake Sale Wednesday afternoon in the Wood and Glass Commons! Pumpkin pies, cheesecake, “puppy chow” and more will be available, all for $1. Adults may volunteer to donate items; use this link to sign up.

Yearbook Photo Make-Ups Thursday, Friday

Freshmen, sophomores and juniors who didn’t have their yearbook photo taken during orientation, or who want to have it taken again, will have another chance this week. Yearbook photo make-ups will take place from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday in the Recital Hall. For questions, contact shs_yearbook@d125.org.

Winter Guard Audition Information

Winter Guard is open to all students (female and male) who are interested in performing precision routines, interpreting music through dance and flag/rifle work. (Watch last year’s show.) Winter Guard is competitive and performs at different high schools in the Midwest. Pre-audition clinics will be held in the Wood Commons from 6-9 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 23-24, and from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 28. Auditions will be held from 6-9 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 30-31 in the Wood Commons. If you have questions, send them to Areber@d125.org.

Taking Driver Education Next Semester?

Students enrolled in Driver Education for second semester, and their parents or guardians, will have an information meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Recital Hall portion of the Performing Arts Center. Students will complete an online permit application and permit test, while parents and guardians will receive information about the SHS driver education program. Please RSVP at this link. If your parents or guardians are unavailable, you may attend the meeting and start the permitting process. For those unable to attend Thursday’s meeting, there will be mandatory meetings for students only during the week of Nov. 6-11. Read this letter for more details.

COLLEGE NEWS

All juniors and their parents are invited to the College Career Center’s annual “Finding the Fit” program from 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Performing Arts Center. The night is a kickoff to the college search-and-selection process for students in the Class of 2019. Post Secondary Counselors Sara English and Dan Miller will discuss how to choose a college, how a college chooses its students, and the overall timeline for the search and application process over the next 18 months. The presentation will be using a web-based program called Pear Deck, so juniors and their families are encouraged to bring their SHS iPads or an electronic device connected to a Gmail address. There also will be a special session for parents and guardians of students with IEP/504 plans from 6:30-6:50 p.m. in the Recital Hall, which is adjacent to the Performing Arts Center.

Students and their parents can learn about nearly 180 colleges and universities at the Illinois Regional College Fair from 6-8 p.m. Thursday at the College of Lake County. The fair will be held in the Physical Education Center, Building 7, on CLC’s Grayslake campus. For more information, including the financial aid sessions and a list of colleges being represented, call 847-543-2588 or visit www.clcillinois.edu/events/collegefair.

Bradley, Northwestern, Maryland, South Carolina, Arizona State, Wake Forest and Syracuse are among the more than 25 colleges coming to visit Stevenson next week. To see the complete list of college rep visits, and to find out how to sign up for one, visit www.d125.org/RepVisits.

CAREER EXPLORATION

The Buffalo Grove/Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce is looking for a social media intern to work one or two days during the week. Please contact Mrs. Willock in the CCC if you are interested and for more information.

If you are interested in participating in a career shadow over Winter Break, please make sure to fill out a Career Shadow Application Form that can be found on the Career Exploration web page and turn in to the CCC. If you would like some information on developing a career plan or have general career questions, please feel free to reach out to Mrs. Willock in the CCC at dwillock@d125.org.

ATHLETICS

All freshman student-athletes and transfer student-athletes are required to attend one meeting led by the athletic director during the 2017-18 school year. There are seven possible dates; each occurs on a late-arrival day. The first meeting opportunity is from 9:45-10:15 a.m. Thursday in the West Auditorium. Topics to be covered include: expectations of and leadership opportunities for student-athletes; the Co-Curricular Code of Conduct; sportsmanship; sports health and nutrition; and Stevenson Athletics’ awards program. Attendance will be taken by scanning student IDs.

The freshman boys basketball informational meeting will take place at 8 a.m.  Wednesday in Room 8046. If you cannot attend the meeting, please contact Coach Gimre at kgimre@d125.org.

Fencing tryouts will be held from 3:45-5:45 p.m. Monday in the Field House. Please be sure you are registered and a current physical is on file with the Athletics Office.

Tryouts for the cheerleading and Patriettes winter season will be held Monday from 3:30-6 p.m. Cheerleading tryouts will take place in the Wood Commons, and Patriettes tryouts will be in the Field House. New student-athletes must register for the sport and have a current physical on file. To register, visit d125.org/athletics.

The girls basketball informational meeting is scheduled for 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 24 in the Recital Hall (Room 4100). If you are unable to attend the meeting, contact Coach Graham at agraham@d125.org.

CLUB NEWS

Interactive Gamers Club will host an Ixalan draft after school Thursday! The cost is $5, and each player will participate in a three-pack draft. Players must be able to stay until 5:30 to participate, and can keep the cards once the tournament is done! Come and join us in the Staff Dining Room (Room 1204) and learn to play the new pirates, vampires and dinosaurs cards.

The Stevenson Styler Fashion Club will meet from 3:30-4:30 Thursday in Room 1612. The club will be making style boards to compete in a fashion competition for the new brand selling at Macy’s, “Boy Meets Girl!” There will be one guaranteed winner from Stevenson. In order to participate, you must be at the meeting!

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Chicago Teachers Union president Lewis suffers stroke

Teachers in Plainfield School District 202 authorize strike

Judge orders Palatine District 15 nurses, aides back to work

10-year teacher deal looms over Palatine District 15 support staff strike

CPS secretly overhauled special education at students’ expense

SIU cheerleaders who knelt during anthem say they’ve faced death threats

Higher ed leaders gather at U. of Chicago to discuss free speech

Efforts to poach top UI faculty spiked during state budget crisis

How do high schools keep spectators, athletes safe at sporting events?

Glen Ellyn District 89 considers phasing in new attendance map

Water main break cancels classes at Rich East

Elgin High cleared of illegal soccer player allegations

Retired EIU professor seeks Democratic nod in 110th District

University of Illinois confirms one student case of meningitis

St. Viator students paint portraits for Syrian refugee children

Founder of Naperville school for children with special needs dies

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Recent polls reveal what parents want most from schools

California joins trend among states to abandon high school exit exam

Detroit charter school teachers vote to unionize

Colleges setting up alliances to survive enrollment, financial problems

Educators increasingly call for unblocking social media for students

Nearly 700 students displaced by hurricanes enroll in Orlando schools

Tulane offers free tuition to displaced Puerto Rican college students

What did Zuckerberg’s $100M buy in Newark? A bit of progress

Judge bars teacher “sick-outs” in Rhode Island school district

High schoolers protest after teacher tells student to speak “American”

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.