Thursday, April 27, 2017

Statesman Earns National, Regional Honors

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, has received the American Scholastic Press Association’s highest overall rating for the third straight year. The Statesman earned a first-place ranking in the ASPA’s 2016-17 competition. In addition, the paper was honored with an Outstanding Investigative Reporting award for its coverage of security issues surrounding student passwords. “Cracking the Password Mystery” was written and designed by sophomore Ani Nuthalapati and seniors Aman Grover and Nikol Safronova. Stevenson was one of only four award-winners in the category.

The Statesman also was recognized at the Northern Illinois Student Press Association conference held Friday at the College of DuPage. The paper received a Bronze Certificate for overall quality, while its redesigned website received a Silver Certificate.

Individually, Blue Ribbon Awards went to sophomore Olivia Lamberti, junior Grace Westphal and senior Jamie Berman in the Team In-Depth category for their “Through the Eyes of…” student profile package, and to senior Annie Wu and junior Karaj Singh in Advertising for the Statesman’s website ad.

Honorable Mentions went to junior Maya Parekh and sophomore Ellie Baden in Feature Writing for their piece on Stevenson’s $100 million budget, to Grover in Editorial Writing for his column on trigger warnings, to junior Vicky Kolotov in Photography for her images of senior swimmer Rachel Song, and to Safronova in Graphics for her artwork as part of the password changes piece. Dean Bradshaw is the Statesman adviser.

AP Government Teachers Appearing on C-SPAN Sunday

Advanced Placement Government teachers Dan Larsen and Andy Conneen will lead their annual “Cram for the Exam” on C-SPAN “Washington Journal” program at 8 a.m. Sunday. The one-hour review session will help students around the country prepare for the AP Government exam, which is Thursday, May 4. To see previous “Cram for the Exam” sessions, visit the two teachers’ website, CitizenU.org.

Student Government Election Results Announced

Junior Lauren Appell was elected Student Council president for the 2017-18 school year during student government elections held April 12-13. She will be joined by junior Melissa Hauptman and sophomore Amelia Lee (vice presidents), sophomore Josh Zhu (treasurer), junior Isabelle Sparreo (secretary), junior Hanna Kunin (school board representative) and junior Frank Wiest-Puchala (historian). Other students elected to student government positions were:

Senior Class Board: Sylvia Chen (president), Jessica Bae and Vikram Thanigaivelan (vice presidents), Sarah Jacob (treasurer) and Dhruvi Soni (secretary).

Junior Class Board: Sunny Jhaveri (president), Jenny Cao and Meghan Oh (vice presidents), Peter Dziaba (treasurer) and Ashley Mandel (secretary). The Junior Class Executive Board will include Rebecca Azevedo, Adam Heald, Heather Jeon, Cameron Soltz, Hunter Tam, Michael Treiber, Allison Zhang and Alyssa Zhang.

Sophomore Class Board: Akshita Cheruku (president), Adam Dziaba and Swarna Jammalamadaka (vice presidents), Hannah Bae (secretary) and Suma Pasupulati (treasurer). The Sophomore Class Executive Board will include Anjini Grover, Janice Lee, Luke McCue, Alyssa Shack and Akshita Singh.

All of the new Student Council officers and Executive Board members were inducted during a special ceremony Tuesday evening in Room 2104. The ceremony was led by Student Council sponsors Steve Soszko, Dave Eddy and Molly Sponseller, and Director of Student Activities Ted Goergen.

Bass Fishing Team Casts Attention Toward Sectional

The bass fishing team finished third out of 14 teams in the final Tuesday tournament series hosted by Grant High School. Senior Will Reichert took second in the Bass Pro Shops Casting Challenge at the tournament. The team also placed third in the Grant series on Tuesday, April 18. SHS hosted its own tournament Saturday at Musky Tales, and the two boats it entered finished third and fourth. Stevenson will compete in the Illinois High School Association Chain O’Lakes (South) Sectional on Friday, May 5.

Transition Program Holds Biggest Dance Yet

Stevenson’s transition program held its annual dance with peers from four other school districts on Friday. The 1960s-themed dance, which included students from SHS, Lake Zurich, Lake Forest, District 211 and Highland Park, drew its largest crowd to date. Several teachers and staff from the schools also attended. Megan Sugrue and Robby Burroughs coordinated the event.

Stevenson’s transition program provides individualized skill development for special education students ages 18-22. The program’s primary goal is to increase students’ independence through vocational, social and life-skill development. They are immersed for half of their school day in a life-skills class that teaches practical skills such as budgeting, communication, organizational and time-management skills, household upkeep and maintenance, personal care, meal planning and preparation, and navigating public transportation.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here for today’s athletic schedule

Wednesday’s Varsity Results

Girls Water Polo

Stevenson 15, St. Ignatius 5: The host Patriots (22-0) erupted for three goals in the first two minutes and finished the first quarter with a 7-0 lead, ending the suspense early in a rematch of last year’s state quarterfinal. SHS, ranked first in the state by Illpolo.com, received five saves apiece from junior Brigitte Lefebvre and sophomore Anna Mossakowski. Seven Pats scored, led by juniors Eileen Hoang and Claire Haas. Each found the back of the net three times. Haas leads the team with 90 goals this year. Senior co-captain Julia Nicholson and sophomores Eleanor Michaud, Kalista Tapas and Lauren Maloney tallied two goals, and senior co-captain Fiona Gaffney also scored for Stevenson, which outshot the ninth-ranked Wolfpack, 27-18. – Daily Herald

Boys Water Polo

Stevenson 10, Fenwick 6: The top-ranked Patriots traveled to Oak Park and improved to 22-0 behind senior Andrew Shashin, who scored four goals and recorded five steals. Juniors Eric Osuch and Justin Ginsberg both scored twice, while junior Collin Kapecki and senior Dan Maleski chipped in with one goal apiece. Fenwick is ranked No. 6 in the state. – Illpolo.com

Boys Gymnastics

Stevenson at Independent Conference Meet: At Glenbard East, the Patriots finished fourth with 127.8 points, behind defending champion Mundelein (149.7), Libertyville (145.3) and the host Rams (137.3). University of Iowa-bound senior Matt Krames finished second in the all-around with a 51.9 score, four-tenths of a point behind the winner. He tied for first place on vault (9.0), was second on parallel bars (9.0) and high bar (8.6), tied for second in floor exercise (9.1), and placed third on still rings (8.4). Next up for SHS is the Palatine Sectional on Saturday, May 6. – Daily Herald

Boys Lacrosse

Stevenson 6, Libertyville 5: Senior Marty Mann’s takeaway in a man-down situation late in the fourth quarter sealed the NSC victory for the visiting Patriots (4-6, 2-2), who took an early 2-0 lead that was never relinquished. This was the first win for the Class of 2017 over the Wildcats (2-8, 1-4), who lost their seventh straight game despite a fierce rally in the fourth quarter. Juniors Austin Masters and Ryan Walsh led SHS with two goals apiece, while senior Aaron Kaufmann and junior Colin Bowler also scored. Walsh, Bowler, junior Caleb DiMaria and seniors Mike Simon and Demetre Crews all registered an assist. Junior Chad Winter had 12 saves in goal. – IHSLA.org

Girls Lacrosse

Stevenson 16, Libertyville 4: Seven different patriots scored for the host Patriots (11-4, 2-1), who won their sixth game in a row. The Wildcats, who dropped their third straight, fell to 3-7, 1-2. – IHSWLA.org

Boys Volleyball

Libertyville d. Stevenson, 25-20, 23-25, 25-22: The host Patriots (17-7, 3-1) lost a close match to the conference-leading Wildcats (19-1), their first defeat in April. Senior Grant Maleski had a big night, recording 18 kills and four service aces. Junior Leo Chen racked up 11 kills, while junior Matt Cliffer had seven kills, a solo block and two block assists. Juniors Haddon Kay (33-of-34 with 21 assists) and sophomore Will Sorenson (29-32, 15 assists, two aces), were a combined 62-of-66 setting. Senior Austin Zhou made six digs and added three assists. – Daily Herald

Baseball

Libertyville 12, Stevenson 9: Junior Jack Housinger knocked in six runs, but the host Patriots (11-9, 5-7) dropped the deciding game in their three-game series with the Wildcats (16-5, 10-2). Housinger opened the scoring in the bottom of the first inning with an RBI groundout, added a bases-clearing double in the third and a two-run double in the fourth. Senior Henry Marchese, with scouts from the San Diego Padres and Baltimore Orioles in attendance, went 3-for-4. He scored three runs and stole two bases. Senior Charlie Ling was 2-for-4 and classmate Charlie Bourbon had a double and a bases-loaded walk. – Daily Herald

Boys Water Polo Team Grew Stronger Through Absence

No coach ever wants a player to get hurt, but when senior boys water polo standout Dan Maleski was sidelined earlier this season, it caused Sean Wimer’s Patriots to rally around each other. SHS didn’t lose during Maleski’s three-week absence, and now that he’s back, Wimer (a 2001 Stevenson graduate) says his unbeaten squad is stronger than it was before the injury. “It put things in perspective for the kids,” Wimer told Pioneer Press. “What can we do to improve as a team? We really had to develop some depth.” Maleski, who will play at Concordia University Irvine next year, and junior Justin Ginsberg also talked with reporter Jon Kerr about the team’s resiliency.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

One-Act Plays Take the Stage Friday, Saturday

The Theatre Department continues its tradition of one-act plays and monologues as its spring production. This year’s one-act shows will be held at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday in the West Auditorium (Room 2206). Admission is $6. Click here to purchase tickets in advance. Concessions sold at the show will go to the family of Sodexo employee Ana Marinez, whose 13-year-old son was struck and killed by a car on March 31. Donations also will be accepted. Check out this video for more information.

Prom, Post-Prom Ticket Sales End Monday

Tickets for the Prom and the post-Prom event at Six Flags Great America are on sale through the Superstore. Tickets for the Prom are $90, and can be purchased at the Patriot Superstore during sixth hour or online at this link. Prom ticket sales end Monday. Click here to see the 2017 Prom booklet. Tickets for the post-Prom event are $55. The post-Prom event runs from 11:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. The school will provide bus transportation from the Prom to Great America, and then back to the school. For details and the required permission slip, click here.

Auditions for Advanced Choir Classes This Week

Do you like to sing? Want to develop your vocal skills and have a great time performing and participating in fun events? Placement auditions for Stevenson’s advanced choir classes (Advanced Choir and Patriot Singers) are happening through Saturday. Sign-up sheets and audition information are posted outside the Choir Room (2202). Please contact Mrs. Nuteson (anuteson@d125.org) if you have any questions.

CLUB NEWS

The Senior Class Board invites all seniors to its College Commitment Day free breakfast from 7:30-8:20 a.m. Friday in the Sports Center. Wear your college gear!

INTRAMURALS

The Intramural Department will have open gym basketball for any interested student from 6-8 p.m. Monday in the Field House. All you need to participate is your current school ID. There also will be open gym basketball on Monday, May 8, 15 and 22, from 6-8 p.m. in the Field House.

ATHLETICS

The boys volleyball team will be selling T-shirts during the lunch periods Friday as part of its Diabetes Awareness Night fundraiser. T-shirts are $10 for small through extra-large, $12 for XXL and $13 for XXXL. Shirts also will be sold at the team’s matches against Fremd on Monday in the Sports Center.

If the weather doesn’t interfere with today’s varsity softball home game, Mr. SHS Leo Aquino will be delivering the first pitch.

Each season, the Athletics Division honors Patriot athletes in a number of ways, including the ESPPA (Exceptional Stevenson Patriot Pride Award). ESPPA Awards honor athletes and teams in all sports and all levels, plus trainers, team managers and fans. Players, coaches, students and parents can submit nominations for Spring ESPPA Awards by clicking here. Nominations will be taken through Tuesday.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Due to a large volume of interest, summer shadow applications will not be accepted after Monday. Look for the career application form at www.d125.org/career.

COLLEGE NEWS

The Waukegan alumni chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. is awarding two scholarships to African-American males who have been accepted into a two- or four-year college or university. Please stop in the College Career Center (Room 1123) to pick up your application for this scholarship. The application must be submitted by May 15. If you have any questions, see Mrs. McGurn in the College Career Center.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

District 103 business leader taking same role with District 128

CPS board set to transform high school application process

Couple‘s student loan scam swindles $200K from College of DuPage

Rauner withdraws Champaign man as pick for state education board

Pekin high school subject of cyberattack

New CLC trustees say they’re ready to work on key issues

Chicago Teachers Union plans May Day rally to call for more funding

Crystal Lake-based District 155 to offer aviation course with local airport

Former CPS leader Byrd-Bennett to be sentenced Friday for fraud

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Is the new ‘prove it” economy diminishing the value of college degrees?

The case for contentious classrooms

What does Trump’s executive order on education do? Not much

Rhode Island latest state to move away from Common Core tests

Sweeping charter school bill passes Tennessee legislature

Student loan giant is most complained-about financial company in U.S.

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.