Wednesday, April 19, 2017

New Vernon Township Supervisor is a 2005 Alum

Stevenson alumnus Daniel Didech (Class of 2005) was elected Vernon Township supervisor earlier this month. Didech, a lifelong resident of the township, received nearly 62% of the vote in the April election. Didech replaces William Peterson, who served as supervisor since 1977 and decided not to run for re-election. Didech is an attorney with the Berwyn-based Del Galdo Law Group, focusing on municipal law. His wife, Jen, is a sixth-grade math teacher at Twin Groves Middle School.

2002 Alumnus Dies in California Car Accident

A 2002 Stevenson alumnus was killed in a one-car crash in California last week. Ryan “Rocky” Pebbles, a former captain of the Patriot boys soccer team, died after his vehicle left the road in Boulder Creek. Police believe the accident occurred on Monday, April 10, but the car and his body were not found until last weekend. Fellow 2002 alum Kevin O’Connell has started a GoFundMe page  to help pay for memorial services in their hometown of Lake Zurich and in California.

SHS Burger Challenge at Tom and Eddie’s Today

The Introduction to Business classes will hold their twice-yearly SHS Burger Challenge at Tom and Eddie’s restaurant in Vernon Hills today from 4-9 p.m. Students have developed four original burger concepts that will be on the menu today. The winning burger will remain on the menu for a month. At least 10% of proceeds from the event will go to the Stevenson Foundation. The percentage will increase based on the number of burgers sold. The Burger Challenge caps the part of the course in which students study the product development process.

Three Students Reach Semifinals of Research Contest

Three students qualified as semifinalists for a recent competition featuring independent student research that could have a positive impact on the local or global community. Freshman Caimin Xi, sophomore Shreya Viswanathan and junior Justin Lee reached the semifinal stage of the Next Generation Innovators Challenge: Positive Impact competition at Wheeling High School on April 7.

Bass Fishing Team Bests Libertyville

The bass fishing team won its dual meet against Libertyville at Diamond Lake on Thursday. SHS launched two boats, with one catching a trio of fish weighing a total of 10 pounds, while the other snagged two that weighed four pounds. The team was led by senior captain Will Reichert, who landed a 3.5-pound bass.

Teaching Math Just One Area of Interest for Pinta

Mathematics teacher Robert Pinta is the subject of Pioneer Press’ latest “Shout Out” weekly feature. He talks about what led him into teaching, and about his various hobbies, including woodworking. Pinta’s colleague and good friend, Paul Kim, calls him “The King of the Side Job.”

Day of Dance Videos Online

Technical issues hindered the live streaming of last week’s Day of Dance event. If you want to catch up, each class period performance is available for view at https://thecube.com/cube/sbn. Not sure who was performing each period? Here is the Day of Dance program with a breakdown of students dancing each hour.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here for today’s athletic schedule

Tuesday’s Varsity Results

Baseball

Stevenson 10, Zion-Benton 1: The visiting Patriots (8-6 overall, 2-4 North Suburban Conference) won their second game in a row behind a combined six-hitter from pitchers Michael D’Angelo, Hayden Brotz and Justin Rayyan. D’Angelo, a sophomore, started for SHS and went four innings, allowing one run on four hits while striking out three and walking one. Brotz, also a sophomore, followed with two innings of one-hit ball and three strikeouts. Rayyan, a senior, tossed a scoreless seventh to finish the game. Neither reliever issued a walk. Offensively, senior Jack Housinger collected two hits and drove in three runs. Classmates Scotty Max and Henry Marchese also had two hits apiece. Marchese tripled home Max in the third inning to give the Pats a 2-0 lead. Max recorded two RBI. – GameChanger.com

Softball

Stevenson 23, Waukegan 2: Senior Emma Oriatti homered and drove in five runs, and fellow Class of 2017 member Alyssa Pauly also had five RBI for the host Patriots (4-9, 1-4). The pair had four hits each, as did senior Mic Faunce, who tripled. Junior Ilyssa Muise was the winning pitcher.

Girls Water Polo

Stevenson 20, Mundelein 2: Junior Claire Haas scored seven goals to lead the visiting Patriots (17-0, 4-0). SHS scored six goals in each of the first two quarters to take a commanding 12-0 lead into halftime. Sophomore Ashley Carollo tallied three goals, while classmate Kalista Tapas and Lauren Maloney, and senior Fiona Gaffney each had two. Junior Brigitte Lefebvre and sophomore Anna Mossakowski made seven and six saves, respectively.

Boys Water Polo

Stevenson 20, Mundelein 5: Seniors Andrew Shashin (eight goals) and Dan Maleski (six goals) led the host Patriots (17-0, 4-0). – Illpolo.com

Boys Tennis

Stevenson 7, Zion-Benton 0: The Patriots (6-2) lost only two games during the match at the Vernon Hills Athletic Complex courts. Sophomores Aswath Viswanathan and Arjun Sheelvanth posted a  6-0, 6-0 decision at No. 1 doubles, while junior Sam Komis shut out his opponent at No. 1 singles. The other doubles victories came from sophomore Nick Ryding and freshman Delbert Su at No. 2 (6-0, 6-1), juniors Jeremy Park and Michael Maryniuk at No. 3 (6-0, 6-0) and seniors Garrett Pollack and Kento Ogawa at No. 4 (6-0, 6-0). Senior Gary Braznichenko was a 6-1, 6-0 winner at No. 2 singles, and Rafael Pablos Sarabia breezed at No. 3, 6-0, 6-0.

Girls Soccer

Lake Forest 1, Stevenson 0: Senior Hannah Petrich made 10 saves for the host Patriots (1-4-1). – Daily Herald

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Best Buddies Fundraiser Today

Best Buddies is having a fundraiser at the Original Bagel and Bialy in Buffalo Grove all day today. Special Best Buddies cookies will be on sale, too. Twenty percent of all sales will go to Best Buddies.

Get Ready for the 4th Annual Fashion Show Friday

The fourth annual Stevenson Styler Fashion Show is coming to the Performing Arts Center on Friday! The pre-party will start at 6:30 p.m. with refreshments and red carpet photo ops. The fashion show will begin at 7 p.m., and admission will be $5, with all proceeds benefitting Dress for Success. Dress your best and come check out the latest looks from Bella Donna, Olivia’s, Illusions by Jill, Stilleto’s and Francesca’s.  The guys haven’t been forgotten: there are great summer trends from Gap and Old Navy. More than 100 amazing student-designed looks made by students in the Clothing and Design classes will be shown!

Child Development Classes Holding Book Drive

The Child Development classes are holding a children’s book collection drive to benefit students at V.H. Nelson Elementary School in Niles. Almost 60% of Nelson’s students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch, and their English Language Arts score on the state PARCC test is well below average. The Child Development classes believe that the discrepancy in scores is due to the lack of books and other resources for Nelson students. You can drop off new and gently used children’s books at the Vernon Area Public Library until April 30.

Volunteers Needed for Riverside Foundation Gala

Mr. Goergen and Mr. Erdmann will be honored at the Riverside Foundation’s annual Hearts of Gold Gala on Saturday at the Lincolnshire Marriott, and student volunteers are needed to help. Volunteer shifts are available from 4-9 p.m. or 9 p.m. to midnight. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Elisa Capstick at ejcapstick@aol.com.

Support These Art Students After School Monday

Come out and support five of your fellow students at the 10th Congressional District Art Competition reception and awards from 4-5:30 p.m. Monday at the Vernon Area Public Library. Stevenson will have five students represented: Alexandra Kokhan (mixed media), Judy Kupchan (photo), Amy Tian (drawing), Caroline French (photo) and Madeline Meirhaeghe (digital painting).

You’re Invited to Apply for National Service Honors

The organization that runs the ugive.org website has some national award opportunities for all students. There are three levels of recognition based on volunteer hours. All you have to do is share a few details and a photo of your service activity completed between June 1, 2016 and now. To apply, visit apply.InspringService.org. Online applications are due by Friday, May 5.

Check Out the Stevenson Styler Online

The Stevenson Styler fashion magazine is digital! Save some paper and check it out online. You can view it here. This edition talks about “fast fashion” and its impact, spring and summer trends, summertime recipes and DIY’s, and more.

COLLEGE NEWS

Juniors and their families are invited to meet with one of the postsecondary counselors for a 30-minute Post-High School Family Planning Meeting. The appointments are available through Thursday, June 15. This is a great opportunity to discuss your journey after Stevenson High School. Please complete the College/Post Secondary Planning Worksheet to begin the process. (You can also get a copy of the worksheet in the College Career Center in Room 1123.) Once you have turned in a completed worksheet to Mrs. McGurn in the College Career Center, you will receive an email with a link to sign up for the appointment. Worksheets are due in the CCC by Monday. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. McGurn.

Attention juniors and seniors: A United States Marine Corps recruiter will be visiting Stevenson on Monday during third period (10:18 a.m.) in the College Career Center.  Please go into Naviance under the College Visits tab to sign up for the visit. You will need to bring a signed pass from your third-period teacher to attend the visit. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. McGurn in the College Career Center (Room 1123).

CAREER EXPLORATION

Applications are now open for Camp Cardiac and Camp Neuro. These camps are for any high school student interested in a career in medicine and are run by local medical students. Please visit campcardiac.org and campneuro.org for more information.

CLUB NEWS

Best Buddies is close to reaching its goal of raising $12,000 for the Best Buddies Illinois Friendship Walk on May 6 at Brookfield Zoo. As of Monday, Best Buddies had raised $10,854. If you want to take part in the walk, click here. Anyone who raises $50 will get a Best Buddies T-shirt.

The Lean In Feminism Club will be hosting SHS alum Alana Parekh after school today in Room 2702 to talk about what it’s like to be a female artist in Chicago. Alana is a dancer and will speak on her projects that have involved exploring hair and skin color of different genders and races. All are welcome to join us!

ATHLETICS

If you’re on a Patriot sports team and haven’t attended a required 30-minute Student-Athlete Meeting yet, your last chance is Thursday from 9:45-10:15 a.m. in the Performing Arts Center. (Thursday is a late arrival day). Any athlete who has not attended a meeting yet must attend. Attendance will be taken, so make sure you bring your student ID.

End your week on a really happy note. Get to the Wood Commons or Glass Commons on Friday during sixth and seventh passing periods, or after school, and buy a Wendy’s Frosty for only $2 … and support girls water polo! After all, you can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a Frosty, and that’s pretty much the same thing!

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Oak Brook family wants $50M over geography bee cheating allegations

Per-student spending varies widely among 93 suburban districts

UI student from Gurnee lights self on fire atop Krannert Center

Outgoing Palatine board members want to fill vacancy before they leave

With claims up, Grayslake District 127 looks to keep staff healthier

Narrow margin stands as voters OK Glen Ellyn District 41 construction plan

Aldermen vent at CPS as June 1 closing date draws closer

New Trier officials offer suggested changes to civil rights seminar day

Teen hopeful Naperville North petition will bring change

Students, parents rally for suspended Chicago special ed teacher

Counselor’s lawsuit accuses Illinois Central College of racial discrimination

Belleville schools sign up for new option in bus service

Congressman’s decline of “town hall” draws ire of Illinois Wesleyan faculty

Freeport, area high schools adapt to changes in agriculture industry

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Study: Kids are better readers now than they were 12 years ago

Can grade-skipping close the STEM gender gap?

Nevada bill seeks cameras in special ed classrooms

Baylor University names first female president in school history

Against its wishes, Auburn University hosts white nationalist

NCAA returns events to North Carolina after rollback of LGBT law

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.