Thursday, March 2, 2017

No School on Friday

There are no classes at Stevenson on Friday. Faculty and staff will be participating in the annual Consortium Institute Day. Classes will resume Monday. Since there is no school on Friday, the Daily Digest will not be published. The Digest will return Monday.

Stevenson Debate Team Ranked 10th in Nation

Stevenson’s varsity debate team excelled at the recent Harvard University National Debate Tournament, raising its ranking to 10th in the nation. The ranking is based on the number of bids the team has received to the national Tournament of Champions competition. The school’s bid volume increased greatly after the Harvard tournament, which was held February 18-20.

Seven debaters earned Tournament of Champions (TOC) bids by reaching the quarterfinal round of the Congressional Debate competition, and one of them, senior Alexis Cacioppo, advanced to the semifinal round. The other quarterfinalists were seniors Aaron Merlin, Serena Goldberg and Nikol Safronova, juniors Saketh Prazad and Abhiram Kakuturu, and sophomore Thivya Sivarajah.

Also competing at the Harvard tournament were Rahman, senior Dylan Irlbeck, junior Joy Wang, and sophomores Megan Bi, Aishani Dutta, Anubhav Agarwal and Joao Victor Rodrigues. More than 450 students from 105 schools in 21 states competed in the Congressional Debate competition at Harvard.

7 Earn Honors at Lyons Model UN Competition

Seven members of the Model United Nations team earned awards at the 32-school Lyons Township competition on Saturday. Senior Khalil Khan won Best Delegate honors, while three others received Outstanding designation: senior Serena Goldberg, sophomore Eric Fleishman and freshman Govind Prabhakar. Three other students were selected for Honorable status: juniors Adam Katz and Brad Ma, and sophomore Zuzanna Kubiszewski.

25 Advance in National Math Competition

Twenty-five students have cleared the first hurdle in the American Mathematics Competitions, which are this country’s method in determining its representatives for the annual International Mathematics Olympiad. The students scored in the top 5% nationally on the recent AMC 12 and 10 tests, qualifying for the American Invitational Mathematics Exam, which will be given at Stevenson on Tuesday.

Students advancing based on their AMC 12 scores are: junior Haoyang Yu, who had the highest score among SHS students who took the test, plus sophomore Rohit Mandava, junior Joshua Yoon, senior Jason Lu, senior David Liu, junior Hideki Maeda, senior Chris Lee, senior Austin Zhou, junior Deepak Moparthi, senior Zhenhao Li, senior Hyung Seok Lee, senior Kathy Xiang, junior Albert Cao, senior Amber Hu, junior Andrew Hwang, senior Reuben Gutmann, junior Daniel Wu, senior Kijung Kwak, junior Justin Lee and Andrew Luo.

Students advancing on the strength of their AMC 10 scores were: freshman Eric Gan, who posted the highest score among all taking the test, sophomore Joseph Rivkin, freshman Dylan Hu and freshman Emily Lu. Eighth-grader Sai Merneedi, who takes Honors Geometry at Stevenson, also qualified.

The AMC 10 test focuses on algebra and geometry concepts, while the AMC 12 involves pre-calculus concepts. Both are multiple-choice exams with 25 questions given in 75 minutes.

Stevenson to Host Programming Competition

Stevenson will host the third annual ProCom high school programming competition on Saturday. ProCom 3.0 is a collaborative effort between members of the Chicago Computer Science Teachers Association and the Chicago Suburban CSTA. Stevenson computer science teacher Steven Svetlik is the founder and president of the suburban chapter.

Correction

The Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics state competition is May 6, not April 10 as reported in Wednesday’s Digest.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here for today’s athletic schedule

Wednesday’s Varsity Results

Boys Track and Field

Stevenson 73, Elgin Larkin 14: The Patriots won nine of 11 events in the Field House. Senior Noah Lukz won two events, the 55-meter dash (6.5) and the 160-meter dash (18.8). Other individual winners for SHS were junior David Engstrom in the high jump (5 feet, 8 inches), junior Borler Wu in the 300 (38.5), sophomore Sam Farber in the 55-meter intermediate hurdles (8.5) and senior Paul Udoni in the 1,600 (4:39.8). Stevenson also won all three relays: the 640 (1:14.9), the 1,600 (3:41.7) and the 3,200 (8:44.5).

Hockey Team Declares “Whiteout” for Fans

The varsity boys ice hockey team is asking fans to wear white to its Blackhawk Cup state tournament game against Evanston tonight. Faceoff is at 6:40 at the Edge Ice Arena, 735 E. Jefferson Street, in Bensenville.

Arrow Pointing Up for Boys Swim Team

Not many people paid attention to the varsity boys swimming and diving team before the season started. But they’re paying attention now. “This team charged so hard all year,” head coach Doug Lillydahl told the Pioneer Press. “We started the season unranked and finished fourth at the state meet. It’s an honor to race against (New Trier) and be in the mix with the best teams in the state. It’s so gratifying.” Lillydahl has reason to be optimistic for next season: Most of his state qualifiers return, including 50-yard freestyle state champion Topher Stensby, who will be a junior.

Geick Sets Example for Other Gay Student-Athletes

Senior wrestler Dylan Geick is hoping to be a positive example for high school student-athletes who are gay. Geick, who finished his prep career last month with a fourth-place finish at the state meet, talked with the school newspaper, the Statesman, about his decision to come out. Since then, his story has been picked up at the national level. He was profiled by SB Nation’s Outsports last week, and at USA Today’s website on Tuesday. Geick praised his teammates and head coach Shane Cook for how they have accepted him. “We support each other in life,” said Geick, who will wrestle for Columbia University next fall.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Naviance/Sophomore Family Night Next Wednesday

Would you like to learn more about the updated features within Naviance? Ms. English and Mr. Miller, the post-secondary counselors, will take a deep dive into the world of Naviance at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Performing Arts Center. Any family is welcome to attend, and students are strongly encouraged to attend, too. Please bring an iPad or computer to explore Naviance with the counselors (or give your login information to your parents or guardians if you can’t attend). This session will last about 30 minutes. After the Naviance presentation, the counselors will discuss what sophomore families can expect during the junior year. Students are strongly encouraged to attend with their families. Families can attend both or either of these back-to-back sessions. For questions, contact Mrs. McGurn at 847-415-4517.

Project Dance Coupon Code Extended to Monday

The Project Dance coupon code HIGHFIVE has been extended to Monday, so you can still receive $5 off when registering. Help us support the great work of the Riverside Foundation (helping developmentally disabled adults achieve independence) and Stevenson 2 College (helping first generation college students with financial support and mentoring). Project Dance is a peer-to-peer fundraising campaign that requires no selling! All you have to do is join the platform and use the online tools to spread the message in your personal networks and family networks. Click here for all the registration information, forms and details.

NHS Blood Drive Sign-Up Ends Friday

If you’re at least 17 years old by March 10 and weigh at least 110 pounds, you can save three lives by donating blood at the National Honor Society Blood Drive on Friday, March 10 in the Wrestling Room. You must have a full free period between periods 3-8, in which you would be available to donate blood. This period can be an unscheduled period, a full lunch, or a PE/Health class (with teacher approval). By giving blood, you’ll also receive three community service hours. Plus, LifeSource will make a financial donation to the Stevenson Foundation’s Stevenson to College program, which improves access to college for SHS students who would be the first in their family to attend. Click here to sign up and to download forms you’ll need to bring to the Student Activities Office before the event, or bring them to the Wrestling Room on the day of the blood drive. The sign-up deadline is Friday.

Annual Summer Job Fair for Students March 9

Looking for summer work? Visit the annual Summer Job Fair on Thursday, March 9 during all lunch periods in Room 2104. Dozens of local companies will be on hand looking to hire, including: Home Depot, Six Flags, JCC Elaine Frank Apachi Day Camp, Tamarak Day Camp, Marriott Resort Lincolnshire, Vernon Hills Park District, Panera, Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt, Mariano’s, AKIRA and many more! Make sure to bring your student ID to be eligible for a $25 Jazzman’s gift card. Don’t miss this great chance to score a summer job!

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: The Local Scholarship Packet is now available in the College Career Center (Room 1123). There are 23 local scholarships available this year. Please stop in to pick your copy up today. The deadline to return the scholarship applications is Thursday, March 16. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. McGurn.

The College of Lake County is pleased to announce the new CLC Foundation Scholarships for the 2017-18 academic year. These scholarships are now available on the CLC Foundation page: https://clcillinois.academicworks.com. Students should apply by March 31.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Applications are still being accepted for career shadows during Spring Break. Please pick up an application in the College Career Center or print one off from the Career Exploration web page and turn it in at the CCC.

Applications are now open for Camp Cardiac and Camp Neuro. These camps are for any high school student interested in a career in medicine and are run by local medical students. Please visit campcardiac.org and campneuro.org for more information.

CLUB NEWS

The Animal Welfare Club’s March Dog of the Month, Pensacola, has a big heart and volunteers at local nursing homes on Saturdays. Its Cat of the Month is an attention lover named Brewer. If you or anyone you know may be interested in welcoming a new four-legged member to your family, please check them out on the Animal Welfare Club website at http://shsanimalwelfare.weebly.com/pets-of-the-month! These animals are available at Save-A-Pet, which can be contacted at 847-740-7788. Don’t forget to check out some of their friends at http://www.saveapetil.org/, all waiting for love!

INTRAMURALS

Hey Patriots, get in on the fun and be part of our newest IM league, Coed Kickball, this spring! There will be an informational meeting at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, March 9 in the Student Activities Office.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Illinois Senate cancels “grand bargain” budget votes

Teachers protest Fenton school board’s superintendent choice

CPS urged to come clean about South Side high school closings

Michigan charter eyeing Rogers Park for school with Middle Eastern focus

Feds urge 9 years in prison for mastermind of CPS scam

Lawsuit: Lifeguard was in office when teen drowned at Chicago school

Failed $130M referendum request hot topic in Palatine District 15 race

District 300 chief wants to get creative with school schedules

CLC music teacher’s case about work experience vs. master’s degree

One confirmed case of mumps at Barrington High School, officials say

Elmhurst District 205 superintendent gets new contract

Downers Grove Elementary District 58 selects assistant superintendent

Sycamore district considers ending bus service for non-eligible riders

“Win-win” for Chicago alternative school firm dashed dreams for others

Should schools drop the “Lady” moniker from female sports teams?

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Vermont, Pennsylvania most expensive states for public higher education

Trump signs laws to promote women into STEM

Dallas switches stand on school suspensions

New Indiana teachers repeatedly failing state exams

Three lies about student loans you should stop believing

Feds promote sharing of uneaten food in school cafeterias, Connecticut wary

Central Michigan student with severe allergy hazed with peanut butter

Idaho school officials collected evidence of assault before alerting police

“Adulting school” teaches young adults grown-up skills

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.