Wednesday, January 27, 2017

College Night for Junior Parents Only on February 1

Parents and guardians of junior students (Class of 2018) are invited to an evening with the school’s post-secondary counselors from 7-8 p.m. Wednesday, February 1 in the Performing Arts Center. This parents-only evening is designed as an audience Q&A session for parents to ask questions about the college search-and-selection process. There will be no formal presentation; Mr. Miller and Ms. English will be there to answer your burning questions.

The WIT Earns Another National Honor

The 2016 edition of the WIT has received another award, this time from the National Council of Teachers of English. The NCTE recognized the WIT in its annual contest, the Program to Recognize Excellence in Student Literary Magazines. The WIT earned the highest possible rank of Superior. In addition, the magazine was recommended for the program’s Highest Award, a designation given to few magazines in the United States. The 2016 editors included June graduate and editor-in-chief Zanub Husain and classmate Hannah Francis, also an editor, plus fellow 2016 graduates Matt Robertson and Lea Caicheck. Also on the staff were current seniors Mia Kim and Annamarie Wellems, both editors, plus Izzy Edreva, Justin Han, Rachel Kwon, Louisa Lara, Eleina Nagaj, Emily-Nicole Pease, Amy Tian and David Xu, as well as current juniors Sasha Kokhan, Angela Lee and Yogin Patel.

Visitors From Eight States, Taiwan Coming to SHS

The first Site Visit Day for Educators of second semester will take place Thursday. More than 85 educators from eight states and Taiwan will be visiting. Representatives are coming from the following out-of-state schools: Cherry Creek High School in Greenwood, Colorado and the Cherry Creek School District Special Education Office in Centennial, Colorado; Creekside High School in Fairburn, Georgia; Fox Senior High School in Arnold, Missouri; New Glarus High School in New Glarus, Wisconsin; the Pascack Valley Regional High School District in Montvale, New Jersey; Salina Public Schools in Salina, Kansas; and Taylor Community School Corporation in Kokomo, Indiana. Visitors from three Illinois schools also will be coming: Deerfield High School, Huntley High School and Hononegah Community High School in Rockton. Representatives from the Loyola University Department of Education will be here, plus an educator from Hsinchu, Taiwan.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here for today’s athletic schedule

Tuesday’s Varsity Results

Girls Basketball

Stevenson 36, Lake Forest 30: The Patriot defense continued its season-long defensive clampdown, holding an opponent to 30 points or less for the ninth time this season. The win, coupled with Warren’s loss to Libertyville, gives SHS (17-5, 9-1) a two-game North Suburban Conference lead over the Blue Devils heading into Friday’s “Hoops for Heroes” contest against Mundelein. Stevenson overcame a slow start on the road, trailing 10-4 after the first quarter. The Pats then held the Scouts (18-8, 7-3) to eight points over the next two quarters and led 25-18 entering the fourth. SHS hit 8-of-11 free throws in the fourth to seal the victory. Senior Madison Wicklund led the Patriots with 11 points, 10 coming during the pivotal middle quarters. Classmate Ashley Richardson scored nine points, sinking four of five free throw attempts in the fourth quarter. Kiana Cencula, a junior, added eight points that included two three-pointers. Stevenson has held its opponents to an average of 34.6 points per game this season, with NSC foes faring even worse at 31.6 points.

Monday’s Varsity Results

Girls Bowling

Stevenson 2,358, Zion-Benton 2,307: Junior Jackie Koepp bowled the first 600 series of her career, leading the host Patriots at Fairhaven Lanes. Koepp rolled games of 203, 205 and 231 for a 639 series. Sophomore Jillian Searcy contributed a 473 series, with a high game of 184. Junior Genevieve Dominick added a 422 series. Sophomore Jenna Schopen bowled in two games, posting scores of 155 and 172. The match marked Senior Night for the Patriots, who honored Neeraja Kadiyala and Amber Albrecht. Kadiyala rolled a 377 series, while Albrecht led the junior varsity to its first win of the season with a 392 series.

Before Senior Wrestler Sets Sail, Unfinished Business

Senior wrestler Robert Pavlovich will be serving our country after graduation, joining the U.S. Navy. Before then, however, the 182-pounder has unfinished business. He and his Patriot teammates are gearing up for this weekend’s Lake County Invitational, followed by Illinois High School Association regionals, sectionals, and hopefully, a return to the state tournament. Pavlovich is used to overcoming obstacles, having moved to America from his native Latvia in sixth grade. He talked about adjusting to a new country and more in this Pioneer Press article.

Marchese Commits to Iowa Football

Senior Henry Marchese, who set school records for receiving yards and touchdown receptions last fall, announced Tuesday that he will continue his football career at the University of Iowa. The 6-foot-3 Marchese caught 63 passes, tying the school record, for 1,053 yards and 16 TDs. He also received offers from Army, Central Michigan and Bowling Green. Marchese’s father, John, was a running back at Iowa in the mid-1980s, and was on the roster when the Hawkeyes won the Big Ten and went to the Rose Bowl in the 1985 season.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

PPA Bake Sale This Afternoon

Don’t miss the PPA Bake Sale on Wednesday afternoon in the Wood and Glass Commons. Cheesecake, apple pie, donuts, Puppy Chow and more. All items are $1.

Peer Tutors Looking for Juniors to Help Others

Peer Tutors is looking for juniors who would like to participate in the Stevenson To College program. You would be tutoring math or science one-to-one with a college-bound student. The hours are flexible. If you are interested, please email Mrs. Butcher (cbutcher@d125.org).

Fashion Show Volunteers Needed

The fourth annual 2017 Fashion Show benefiting Dress for Success will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, April 21. A meeting for interested volunteers will be held at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, February 2 in Room 1612. If you are interested in modeling, make-up, hair, model dressing, staging, hospitality or photography, please come and learn more about the show! If you have any questions, please contact the fashion show faculty coordinator Mrs. Erickson at cerickson@d125.org.

Mr. SHS Tickets on Sale

Tickets for the Mr. SHS contest are on sale for $5 at the Superstore. Mr. SHS will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, February 10 in the Performing Arts Center. Not sure what Mr. SHS is? Click here to find out.

Hoops for Heroes Camo T-Shirts on Sale Through Friday

Camouflage T-shirts for Friday’s “Hoops for Heroes” basketball games will go on sale during all lunch periods today. Shirts are $10. You can buy shirts during lunch today, Thursday and Friday.

Host Families Needed for German Students

Students from Germany will be visiting Stevenson from March 5-17, and we need your help! Please consider hosting one or more students for an unforgettable family experience. Information is available by emailing Suzanne Paloian at spaloian@d125.org or by calling 847-415-4500. If you are interested, complete this Student/Family Information Form and email it to spaloian@d125.org or return it to Room 2414 at your earliest convenience. Forms will be accepted in the order received.

COLLEGE NEWS

Are you considering a “gap year” after high school? Check out the Gap Year Fair on Saturday at New Trier High School’s Winnetka campus. This Gap Year Fair is one of the largest in the nation with 52 different programs being represented. There will be a speaker from noon to 1p.m. and the fair will run from 1-3 p.m. For registration and more information, visit https://usagapyearfairs.org/fair/chicago-il-2/.

Freshmen, sophomores and juniors looking for unique summer enrichment opportunities? Check Naviance “Enrichment Programs” for details on summer opportunities at college campuses across the globe. These vary from week-long sessions to full-summer sessions.

Attention seniors: Are you considering attending the College of Lake County? Would you like to take a field trip to learn more about its opportunities? We are offering two dates for field trips to CLC: Wednesday, February 1 (designed for seniors who have an IEP or 504 plan) and Wednesday, February 8 (for seniors who do not have an IEP or 504 plan). Both field trips will depart at 8:30 a.m. from parking lot C. Students will return to SHS in time for fifth-period lunch. If interested, seniors should pick up the permission slip and interest form at the College Career Center (Room 1123) by Friday. Each trip will be limited to 40 seniors. We hope you will join us!

Seniors can now pick up applications for the Illinois Daughters of the American Revolution Scholarship. Interested students must complete both the Illinois DAR Financial Need Form along with the application and plan to attend a junior college, four-year college or university in Illinois. Application materials can be picked up in the CCC and must be submitted by Wednesday, February 1.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Students interested in science and technology can apply for the Digital Learning Internship at The Field Museum in Chicago. The six-week paid summer internship will give students hands-on scientific research experience. Applications are available until March 17. Find out more by visiting fieldmuseum.org and search Digital Learning Internship. For a list of more summer camps and internships, please see the Career Exploration webpage.

Career shadow applications are now being accepted for Spring Break. Please pick up an application in the College Career Center or go the Career Exploration web page to download one and turn in to the CCC. Please contact Mrs. Willock in the CCC at dwillock@d125.org for any questions regarding career exploration!

CLUB NEWS

The Stevenson Styler will have a meeting to continue planning the spring/summer edition at 3:30 today in Room 1612. We are looking for members interested in all areas of magazine production including writers, models, photographers, editors and more! New members are always welcome.

ATHLETICS

There will be a girls water polo informational meeting at 3:30 p.m. Thursday in the pool balcony. If you cannot attend, contact Coach Jeff Wimer at jwimer@d125.org.

The girls track and field team will have an informational meeting at 3:30 p.m. Friday at 3:30 p.m. in Room 7096. If you cannot attend, contact Coach Emma Degen at edegen@d125.org.

There will be a girls soccer informational meeting at 3:45 p.m. Tuesday in Rooms 2004-2006. If you cannot attend, contact Coach Kevin Heffernan at kheffernan@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Wheels come off Senate budget plan that would end stalemate

CPS dean charged with sexually assaulting eighth-grader for eight months

Sandoval school board member to be charged with sex crimes

Des Plaines District 62 revamping middle schools to boost math scores

Springfield teachers ratify new contract

Mandatory fixes at Mundelein schools could cost $7.2M

Lawyers for Turkey call for probe of Chicago charter school

Evanston Township High School students walk out of class to protest Trump

All-girls Catholic school in Burbank to close due to declining enrollment

Assistant Maine West cheer coach saves a life

Miami University student from Gurnee found dead in dorm

New campus for Taft High freshmen to be built on Chicago’s northwest side

Rockford school board adopts new contracts despite union opposition

Park Ridge parents want new policy on school board member conduct

Dominican U. seeks to “take back” campus after swastika graffiti found

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Is the bar set too low for special education? Supreme Court to decide

Arkansas moves toward performance-based funding model for colleges

Vermont governor calls for school, state budget freeze

University of Kentucky wins lawsuit against its own student newspaper

New Jersey school grapples with N-word in “Ragtime” musical

Attorneys general seek to stop embattled college accreditor

Historic donation worth $30M for Miami-area colleges

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.