Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Focus on the Future, Not Homework, Next Tuesday

Stevenson students will not have homework the night of Tuesday, October 25, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have an assignment. The school is encouraging all families to engage in a “Let’s Talk About Your Future” discussion. To provide time for these conversations, the school has ordered that no homework be given that night, and no tests or projects be due the next day. Principal Troy Gobble talks about the homework-free night in this video.

The evening will provide an opportunity for families to discuss their student’s interests, passions and goals for the future. For students in grades 9-11, the evening also will give students and parents a chance to highlight courses for the 2017-18 school year that will help them toward their goals. For seniors, October 25 presents an opportunity to talk with their parents about their college and career plans after high school.

The school will be mailing the 2017-18 Coursebook this week to families with students who are freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Included with the Coursebook will be questions to help guide the discussion on October 25. Parents also will receive an email that highlights areas of the Coursebook to review during their conversations. The email also will receive a card game that families can play as part of the evening.

Students will still meet with their counselor for individual course selection appointments. During the appointment, they will discuss course options to ensure that the student’s choices align with his or her postsecondary goals, and which encourage growth and reflects balance. Course selection appointments will take place during early November for sophomores, late November for freshmen, and January for juniors.

Statesman Earns Top Rating at Journalism Conference

Stevenson’s student newspaper, the Statesman, received the highest rating possible at the annual Kettle Moraine Press Association fall journalism conference held Friday at the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater. This is the second time the Statesman has been rated All-KEMPA. Several students won awards, which were based on their work from 2015-16 editions of the newspaper.

The Statesman captured four Best of Show awards. The newspaper earned a Best of Show in the Editorial category for its coverage of transgender bathrooms, and in the Team Investigative area for its reporting on technology at Stevenson. Two 2016 graduates earned awards for sportswriting: Shubhangi Joshi received the Sports Feature honor for her article on the school’s athletic trainers, while Izabela Zaluska was honored in Sports News for her piece on the Patriettes.

The newspaper also claimed six Superior awards. Two came in the Editorial category (for articles on the state’s switch from ACT to SAT testing, and on suicide and stress support), and two came in the Team Investigative category (for a package of stories on school security, and for stories about teen drinking). Two students earned Cover Page kudos: senior Sami Sparber for technology, and 2016 graduate Sarah Verschoor for security.

Verschoor and Sparber were among five students selected for Excellent awards. Verschoor was honored for her Cover Page on politics, and in News for her coverage of a gun incident on campus. Sparber’s story about the SHS “safety bubble” was chosen in the Feature category. Also picked for Excellent awards were senior Aman Grover in the Sports Feature area, 2016 graduate Brenda Reyn in the Cartoon division, and senior Lara Iriarte in the Feature category for her piece on a student risk survey.

The newspaper also received 10 Honorable Mention awards for several stories.

Debate Team Takes Third at Dundee-Crown Tournament

The varsity debate team took third place in the Large School Sweepstakes at the Illinois Congressional Debate Association 2 Tournament Saturday at Dundee-Crown High School. Seniors Serena Goldberg, Aman Grover and Aaron Merlin, and junior Andy Hwang earned first-place honors in their chambers. Second-place awards went to senior Alexis Cacioppo and juniors Ali Rahman and Joy Wang. Junior Jeremy Yu and sophomores Sydney Glickson and Devanshi Gupta won third place. Hwang and senior Eddie Kosinsky received Best Presiding Officer honors.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here for today’s athletic schedule

Boys Basketball to Face Peoria Manual in January

The varsity boys basketball team will play Peoria Manual in the 26th annual Highland Optimist Shootout Classic at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, January 7. The game will be played at Highland High School in Highland, Illinois, about 35 miles northeast of St. Louis. Manual is one of the most storied programs in the state. The Rams have won five state titles in their history, including four in a row from 1994-97. Manual went 27-5 and finished third in the Illinois High School Association Class 3A state finals last winter. Ticket information will be available in mid-November.

Alum Part of No. 22 Northwestern’s Soccer Roster

Kya Suzuki (Class of 2015) is a member of Northwestern University’s women’s soccer team, which is 13-1-2 and is ranked No. 22 in the country. The sophomore has played in two games thus far, after not seeing the field last season.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Yearbook Photo Retakes Thursday and Friday

Freshmen, sophomores and juniors who didn’t have their yearbook picture taken during orientation in August will have a final chance this week. Yearbook retakes will be done on Thursday and Friday in the Recital Hall between 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. both days. Parents can pay for yearbook photos in advance by selecting the “School Portraits Pay Ahead” option at this link.

Place Your Graduation Cap and Gown Order

Seniors can order their graduation cap and gown, and graduation announcements, between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Thursday and Friday in the West Building Patriot Lobby by Room 2400. Orders also can be placed online at www.jostens.com.

Sign Up for S-Factor Auditions

Auditions for S-Factor, the Kiva Club’s annual student vocal competition, will be held Monday through Wednesday, October 24-26 in the Little Theater of the Performing Arts Center. Audition slots will be every five minutes from 3:15-4:30 p.m. each day. To audition, students must be available the week after Winter Break, January 4-6. The deadline to sign up is 3:30 p.m. Friday. Sign up at https://goo.gl/forms/elkX7yQsM8rs7op32.

Testing Center, Learning Center Hours on Wednesday

The Testing Center and the East Learning Center will be closed on Wednesday due to the PSAT testing that will be taking place for sophomores and juniors. The West ILC and Quiet Learning Center will be closed until the start of fourth period on Wednesday.

Turn In Senior Party Forms on Thursday, Friday

Attention all seniors! The Senior Class Party is only eight months away but the time to register is now. Sign up and guarantee your spot on the Odyssey. Forms were distributed during the senior class’ picture day earlier this month. Forms also are available in the Student Activities Office, at the Patriot Superstore, and online. You can turn in your completed form with payment at the tables in the Patriot Lobby on Thursday and Friday. The Senior Class Party is Thursday, May 25, 2017. For only $35 you can enjoy a two-hour cruise aboard the Odyssey, transportation to and from Navy Pier, a full lunch buffet, dessert station, unlimited soda and juice, and DJ entertainment. Spots are limited. Don’t miss out on this fun event!

Visiting Artist of the Month Presentation Friday

Visiting Artist of the Month Tom James will be giving presentations to students during periods 3 and 5 Friday at the Visiting Artist Gallery in the West Building. Click here to read more about the artist.

Sign Up for Nightmare on Stevenson Drive at Lunch

If you’re looking for a “spook-tacular” start to Halloween, come to the Nightmare on Stevenson Drive on Saturday. It’ll be a real scream. You can sign up at the registration table all week in the Wood Commons during lunch periods. Get details here.

COLLEGE NEWS

Stevenson juniors and seniors and their parents can learn about nearly 175 colleges and universities at the Illinois Regional College Fair hosted by the College of Lake County from 6-8 p.m. Thursday. The fair will be held in the Physical Education Center, Building 7, on the CLC Grayslake Campus. Parking is available in lots 2 or 3, on the north side of the CLC campus, closest to the Washington Street and Lancer Lane entrance, 19351 W. Washington St. College financial aid information sessions, presented by staff from the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, will be held in room 706 of the Physical Education Center from 6:30-7 p.m. and 7:15-7:45 p.m. For information, call 847-543-2588 or visit www.clcillinois.edu/events/collegefair for a list of colleges that will be represented.

The following colleges are sending representatives to Stevenson next week to meet with interested juniors and seniors: Oberlin College, Macalester College, Iowa State University, Wesleyan University, Swarthmore College, University of Colorado, Whitman College, University of Illinois at Chicago, Southern Illinois University, McGill University, Carthage College, Elmhurst College, University of Northern Iowa, Tulane University, Ohio Wesleyan University, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, University of Alabama, California Institute of Technology, Williams College, Occidental College, University College Dublin, College of the Holy Cross, Rockford University, University of Dayton, Grand Valley State University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Cornell College and Union College.  Please check Naviance for the dates and times, and also for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit. Remember to print your confirmation page, put your school ID on the page, and have it signed by your teacher for that class period two days prior to the visit. Bring the signed confirmation page on the day of the college visit.

ATHLETICS

Anyone considering trying out for the girls basketball team should attend the informational meeting at 3:45 p.m. Thursday in the Little Theater (Room 4200). Tryouts will take place Monday and Tuesday, October 31 and November 1, from 3:45-6 p.m. Freshman tryouts will be in the Field House, and all others in the Sports Center.

INTRAMURALS

Morning Strength Training and Conditioning will be held from 6:15-7:15 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting this week in the Cardio Fitness Room (5042). MSTC will run through Thursday, February 9, and is open to all students. No one is too busy; it’s a matter of priorities!

CLUB NEWS

The first Science Bowl practice will be held after school today from 3:30-4:30 in Room 8066. All new and returning members are welcome to join this nationally-competitive team. Contact Mrs. Humes in the Science Division with any questions.

The Political Action Club will hold a campaign fair from 7:15-7:45 p.m. Wednesday, followed by a debate watch party from 8-9:30 p.m., all in the QLC.

University of Illinois at Chicago philosophy professor David Hilbert will be visiting the Philosophy Club after school Thursday in Room 7060. Students will have an opportunity to ask Professor Hilbert questions to facilitate a discussion on philosophical subjects.  Students and faculty are welcome to drop by!

Senior Class Board will meet Thursday from 3:30-5 p.m. in Room 2004.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Mundelein High sued by family of student who committed suicide

Father of 8-year-old boy grabbed by substitute teacher sues CPS

Elgin police will be able to tap into all U-46 surveillance cameras (+)

Chicago could become first city to bargain cap on charter schools

SIU president: Illinois in midst of “grand reshaping of state-university covenant”

Arlington Heights OKs expansion at Thomas Middle School (+)

Officials: High school student confessed to threat that closed junior high

St. Charles students score their best ever on ACT (+)

Lincolnshire-Prairie View District 103 considers extra-curricular fee

CPS decision to disband girls golf team called out of bounds

Waukegan school greenhouse “more exciting” with extra tower gardens

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

How do teachers run PG classrooms during an R-rated campaign?

Obama Administration preparing for more for-profit college shutdowns

Missouri pushes initiative for students to finish college faster

California poll shows strong support for Common Core standards

Students at Rhode Island school push back against later start time

Seattle teachers wearing Black Lives Matter shirts this week

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.