Thursday, June 2, 2016

Stevenson Bids Farewell to 10 Retiring Faculty, Staff

Today marks the end of the 2015-16 school year, and also the retirements of 10 faculty and staff members who have more than two centuries of collective experience in education. Stevenson’s newest retirees are Susan Biemeret, Inga Buttelmann, Debbie Durham, Nick Haan, Patricia Jackson, Judy Merola, Mark Michelini, Gary Novak, Lori Polin-Silva and Susan Taylor.

Summer Homework Assignments Online

Students enrolled in Communication Arts classes for 2016-17 can see their required summer reading assignments at www.d125.org/summerreading. Also listed on that page is summer homework for Mathematics, Science and Social Studies courses.

Fall Play Audition Packet Now Available

The audition packet for the fall play, The Dream of the Burning Boy, is available for download here. Auditions will take place Monday, August 8, with callbacks following immediately after the initial auditions. Rehearsals start Tuesday, August 9, and performances are scheduled Thursday through Saturday, September 15-17 in the Studio Theatre.

Band, Color Guard Prepping for “Thriller” Season

The Band and Color Guard will pay homage to Michael Jackson during its halftime show this fall, with music custom-arranged by SHS alumnus Isaiah Walker (Class of 2014). The season starts with Band Camp for all Band and Color Guard members on August 1. Incoming freshmen can check out instruments from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday in the Orchestra Room. To view the Band Camp webpage and required forms, visit d125.org/band-camp.

Junior Selected for Northwestern Memorial Internship

Junior Jordan Gregg has been selected for an internship this summer in the two-year Northwestern Medicine Discovery Program. She will be placed in Northwestern Memorial Hospital’s oncology department. The first year of the internship begins June 20 and runs through July 29.

Share Your Graduation Images With Us

If you’re attending tonight’s commencement ceremony, share your photos and videos with SHS. Tag us using #shareSHS across all social channels, or email us at shareSHS@d125.org.

Digest Going on Hiatus, But SHS News Isn’t

This is the final Daily Digest of the 2015-16 school year. We’ll be back on Monday, August 15, when the new school year begins. During the summer, you can follow Stevenson news on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Nine Water Polo Players Earn All-State Honors

The SHS boys and girls water polo teams have been among the best in the state for many years, and 2016 was no exception. The Patriot boys finished second in Illinois while the girls took third. Several players earned all-state honors from Illinois Water Polo. On the boys’ side, juniors Andrew Shashin and Dan Maleski were chosen to the first team, senior Cris Tomassetti was named to the second team, senior Alex Kapecki was picked for the third team, and sophomore Collin Kapecki was tabbed for the fourth team. On the girls’ side, seniors Allison Travetto and Lauren Burns and sophomore Claire Haas were first-team selections. Sophomore Eileen Hoang was chosen for the second team. Travetto received the Dave Perry IWP Scholarship Award. Stevenson’s all-staters will compete in the Illinois Water Polo All-Star Games in the Patriot Aquatic Center on Sunday. The girls game will be held at 12:30 p.m., followed by the boys at 1:45. An age-group water polo clinic open to anyone in eighth grade or below will be held from 9:30 a.m. to noon on Sunday. The clinic will be run by the SHS girls and water polo teams. Click here to register.

Five Chosen for All-Conference Baseball Squad

Five Patriots were picked for the All-North Suburban Conference Baseball Team. Seniors Justin Stark (pitcher), Patrick Loeffler (third base), Christian Dutler (catcher) and Dylan Molek (outfielder), and junior Henry Marchese (outfielder) were selected. Four players were honorable mention choices: seniors Justin Kopech (pitcher), Robert McGaha (first base) and Jack Trotter (shortstop), and junior Michael Marchese (outfielder).

Two Named to All-NSC Boys Volleyball Team

Two members of the boys volleyball squad have been selected to the All-North Suburban Conference Team. Senior Justin Leonard and junior Grant Maleski, both outside hitters, were chosen. Senior libero Peter Drozdzewicz received honorable mention.

Brunson, Villanova Teammates Honored at White House

Jalen Brunson (Class of 2015) and the NCAA champion Villanova University men’s basketball team were honored by President Obama during a ceremony at the White House on Tuesday.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Click here for the final exam schedule

Clean Out Your Locker Today

All lockers must be cleaned out by the end of finals today. Locks will then be cut off and any belongings left behind will be donated to local charities.

Textbook, Library Book Return Deadlines

All textbooks and library books must be returned today. Textbooks should be returned to the Lower Sports Center Lobby and library books to the West ILC. Any fines due must be paid today in Room 2426.

Celebrate the End of Finals With the Balloon Pop Challenge

Don’t miss the second annual end-of-the-year Balloon Pop Challenge in the West Commons after final exams end today. Challenge a classmate to come and pick the subject you pop this year! The entry is $1, and you’ll have a chance to win a $10 gift card from Lou Malnati’s. Proceeds will benefit the Stevenson Foundation’s Kids In Need (KIN) Fund and Stevenson to College program. This event is sponsored by DIVCO and the Homework Center.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Survey: Illinois schools could survive five months without state funding

Claypool: Chicago Public Schools won’t open in fall without state funding

Rauner pits Chicago against downstate in push for budget

Parents push back against school report cards with no letter grades

Lake View seniors soar as STEM school sheds “last resort” reputation

University of Chicago considering replacing old day school with hotel

Lincoln-Way to keep daycare in schools for 2016-17

North Central College strips Hastert of honorary degree

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

The great “shadow grade” debate on college campuses

Vermont voters to decide on largest school reorganization in 125 years

Kansas education chief calls for more counselors in schools

San Diego’s school construction mess proves money doesn’t solve everything

Why is a high school in one of America’s richest counties still failing?

Professor killed in UCLA murder-suicide

UNC Press to offer publishing services for professors’ DIY textbooks

In Omaha, a library with no books brings technology to all

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.