Friday, May 20, 2016

Junior Selected to U.S. Physics Team Again

Junior Jason Lu has been selected to the U.S. Physics Team for the second straight year. He is the only student from Illinois on the 23-student roster, and one of only two from the Midwest. Lu will travel to the University of Maryland for the U.S. Physics Team training camp from May 26-June 6. The camp will determine which five students will represent the United States at the International Physics Olympiad in Switzerland and Liechtenstein July 10-18.

Last summer, Lu was part of the five-student U.S. team that won a silver medal at the International Physics Olympiad in India. He was the second Stevenson student to be selected for the U.S. team. Richard Zhu earned the honor in 2014.

Lu qualified for the team by earning a gold medal in the U.S. Physics Olympiad. Another Stevenson student, sophomore Kevin Li, was a silver medalist. Lu was the only gold medalist from Illinois, while Li was one of two silver medalists from the state. Lu and Li were among six semifinalists from the school, joining seniors Patrick DeMichele and Junghyun Hwang, and sophomores Albert Cao and Haoyang Yu. There were 14 semifinalists from Illinois.

Statesman Garners More Awards

The Statesman student newspaper and its staff picked up more awards with the announcement of results in the recent Youth Journalism International’s seventh annual Excellence in Journalism contest. Sophomore Bella Greenspan won first place in News Photography for her coverage of the Color Fun(d) Run. Senior Brenda Reyn won a second-place award in Editorial Cartoon for her work on transgender bathrooms, while senior Kayla Guo received a second-place award in News Writing for her coverage of District 211’s transgender bathroom situation. The staff editorial on the same subject received a second-place award as well.

Senior Sarah Verschoor was named a finalist for the Frank Keegan “Take No Prisoners” Award for News. She was honored for her work in covering the December incident in which a student brought an unloaded gun into the school. She also received an honorable mention for Column Writing. Senior Sabrina Szos was named a finalist for the Jacinta Marie Bunnell Award for Commentary, for her column reflecting on her educational journey in a high-achieving and competitive culture. Sophomore Max Cohn garnered an honorable mention for Sports News for his coverage of the IHSA’s “Play Smart, Play Hard” football helmet decal program.

Chinese Honor Society Inducts First Class

Stevenson’s National Chinese Honor Society chapter inducted its first class on April 21. Students inducted were seniors Kazemi Adachi, Xanthe Coulson, Nina Jaeger, Alice Jin, Anna Sofronas and Iris Tong, and juniors Mariel Boden, Ayla Kim, Kijung Kwak, Alex Lee, Hendy Lee, Corey Shang, Isabel Wang and Jessie Zang. Co-Presidents Jennifer Zhang and Laura Harjanto, both seniors, led the ceremony and also inducted the executive board for the 2016-17 school year, which will include juniors Julie Xu, Andrew Chen and Vivien Liu. The purpose of the National Chinese Honor Society is to champion community service and excellence in the study of Chinese language.

Painting a Picture of a Focused Student

Sophomore Veda Teich was one of many Stevenson students whose artwork was on display during the Consortium Art Festival Monday night. Pioneer Press was on hand, and interviewed her for this “Shout Out” piece. Teich talked about the oil painting she showed at the festival, and about her career goal that involves a different kind of painting. She wants to be a makeup artist in the movie business. Teich had a taste of the life last fall when she served as a makeup artist for the school musical, “Miss Saigon.”

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Boys Water Polo

Stevenson hosted IHSA State Quarterfinal: Andrew Shashin scored four goals, including the go-ahead goal late in the first half, as the Patriots downed defending state champion Lyons Township, 13-7, in a rematch of last year’s state championship game. SHS (27-6) will face New Trier in the state semifinals at 9 a.m. Saturday. The winner of that game will play for the state title at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Alex Kapecki, Collin Kapecki, Cris Tomassetti and Kurt Holzer all scored two goals, and Dan Maleski had one. Goalie Charlie Day made 14 saves. Lyons finished its season with a 30-3 record. – Illpolo.com, Daily Herald (+)

Boys Track and Field

Stevenson at IHSA Class 3A Lake Zurich Sectional: Jared Borowsky won the 1,600-meter run and finished second in the 3,200, qualifying for next week’s state meet at Eastern Illinois University. Borowsky posted a winning time of 4:18.39 in the mile, holding off the same Grayslake Central runner who edged him in the 3,200 earlier in the meet. The Colorado-bound Borowsky’s time in the 3,200 was 9:19.36. Joining Borowsky will be David Goncharov, who finished second in the triple jump with a leap of 44 feet, 2 inches. Other top-10, non-qualifying individual performances came from Noah Lukz in the 200 (fourth, 22.75), Goncharov in the long jump (fifth, 21-4.5), Paul Udoni in the 1,600 (fifth, 4:22.20), Jonathon Powell in the triple jump (fifth, 43-9.5), Caleb Oh in the 800 (seventh, 1:58.86) and Brett Lucas in the 3,200 (eighth, 9:40.55). SHS was fourth in two relays, the 800 (1:30.27) and 1,600 (3:28.96), finished ninth in the 400 relay  (45.19) and was 10th in the 3,200 relay (8:44.19). SHS placed ninth in the team standings. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Baseball

Stevenson at North Suburban Conference Championship Game: Wauconda defeated the Patriots, 2-1, marking only the second time since 2001 the Prairie Division champion has beaten a Lake Division team for the title. The Bulldogs (24-4) led 2-0 entering the seventh inning when Henry Marchese tripled to open the top of the frame. Jack Cappalli singled him home two outs later. SHS (22-8-1) had the go-ahead run on base when Wauconda executed a double play to end the game. Cappalli was 2-for-4 with a stolen base. Starting pitcher Michael Marchese went 4-⅓ innings, giving up six hits and two earned runs while striking out five. Justin Stark followed with 1-⅔ perfect innings, striking out a pair. – Pioneer Press, Daily Herald (+), GameChanger.com

Boys Volleyball

Stevenson d. Grant, 25-13, 17-25, 25-17: Jeffrey Wang dished out 27 assists and served six aces on Senior Night as the Patriots evened their season record at 17-17. Justin Leonard had 11 kills and 14 digs, while Alex Pieprzycki added nine kills and two solo blocks for SHS, which has won eight of its last 12 matches. Jeremy Sandrof recorded 14 digs and Peter Drozdzewicz had nine. Sudhish Gogula contributed five kills. Stevenson will face Mundelein in the IHSA Antioch Regional at 6:30 p.m. Monday. The winner of Monday’s match will take on Libertyville at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Girls Water Polo Takes Aim at Second State Title

The girls water polo team is three wins away from winning its second straight state title. The Patriots will play St. Ignatius in the IHSA state quarterfinals at 8:15 tonight in the Patriot Aquatic Center. SHS carries a 32-1 record into tonight’s contest, and has won 22 straight. This is Stevenson’s 11th appearance in the past 13 seasons. If SHS wins tonight, it will play in the state semifinals at 12:45 p.m. Saturday. State water polo results can be tracked here.

Sparreo Running in Girls State Track Meet

Isabelle Sparreo will compete in the 3,200-meter run at the IHSA Class 3A state meet at Eastern Illinois University today. This is the second state meet for the sophomore, who qualified in the 800 and 1,600 last season. Follow her results here.

Boys Tennis Team Hosts Sectional

Stevenson is one of 32 hosts for an IHSA Sectional starting today at the Vernon Hills Athletic Complex. The Patriots have the top seeds in singles and doubles. Zach Kim is the No. 1 seed in singles. He received a first-round bye, as did 3-4 seed Aswath Viswanathan. In doubles, Brian Weisberg and Matt Harvey are the top seed, while Sam Komis and Ben Bush are No. 2. Both duos received first-round byes. You can follow the sectional results today and Saturday here.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Return Library Books, Pay Overdue Fines to ILC Today

Please return all library books and pay any overdue fines to the ILC by Friday. Starting Monday, no library materials may be checked out until books have been returned and fines have been paid.

Mandatory 2016-17 American Studies Meeting Today

If you are enrolled in Honors American Studies for next year, there is a mandatory informational meeting in the Recital Hall (4100) during all lunch periods today. There are two meetings per period (4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b), and you need to attend one of them. Please contact Mr. Anderson (panders@d125.org) or Mr. Heller (sheller@d125.org) if you have any questions.

Did You Take Government During First Semester?

Attention seniors! If you took Government during first semester, please join your peers in the West Auditorium during your free period or lunch today to hear from recent SHS alumni who will be speaking about their college experiences. There will be a Q&A panel and an opportunity for you to ask a question. We hope you will join us!

Junior Class Board Holding Autism Awareness Fundraiser

The Junior Class Board will hold its “Light It Up Blue!” fundraiser for autism awareness during the Allied Soccer game at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Stadium. There will be a party after the game in the Wood Commons featuring food and fun. Students who buy a special “Autism Speaks” T-shirt for $10 during their lunch period can wear it to the game and get free admission to the game and the post-game party.

Would You Like to Help a Transfer Student?

Would you like to volunteer to be a buddy for a transfer student? Anyone interested in being a transfer student buddy should attend a mandatory meeting at 7:45 a.m. Tuesday in Room 4200, the Little Theatre.

Meetings for AP Drawing, 2D and 3D Art Students

There will be informational meetings for all students enrolled in AP 3D Design Art, AP Drawing and AP 2D Media for the 2016-17 school year. Students enrolled in AP 3D Design Art will meet from 3:30-4:15 p.m. Wednesday in Room 1422. Students enrolled in AP Drawing and AP 2D Media will meet from 3:30-4:15 p.m. Thursday, May 26 in Room 1426. The purpose of the meetings will be to explain the three summer assignments, distribute supplies, view examples, and review AP portfolio requirements. Attendance at the meeting is expected. If you have a conflict, please contact Mrs. Hyken (khyken@d125.org) and arrange a time to pick up your materials before the end of the day on Friday, May 27, in Room 1426.

First 50 Students at State Water Polo Get in Free

Sports Boosters has committed to purchasing admission tickets for the first 50 Stevenson students who attend the IHSA girls water polo state quarterfinal at 8:15 p.m. tonight. Students need to show their ID at the admission gate and if they are part of the first 50, they will get in free.

Rare Summer Opportunity: Host an Exchange Student in July

Looking for some summer excitement without leaving home? Hosting an international student for the month of July might be the answer! A student from Denmark will be attending the second semester of summer school at SHS. Please call 847-415-4500 if you would like more information about welcoming her into your home from July 1-30.

Read This If You Need to De-Stress

Stressed? If so, come visit the student lounge this week during lunch periods. You can make your own stress balls, pop some bubble wrap, get free hot chocolate today, and enjoy the time to relax and de-stress. Look for de-stress tips around the school and learn to reduce your stress so you can feel better and do great on your finals.

Clean Out Your P.E. Locker By Friday, May 27

All P.E. lockers must be cleaned out by the end of the last regular school day on Friday, May 27. Locks will then be cut off and any belongings left behind will be donated to local charities.

Pick Up Yearbooks at the Patriot Superstore

If you forgot to pick up your yearbook earlier this week, or if you want to buy a yearbook, stop by the Patriot Superstore. Yearbooks are available there starting today.

ATHLETICS

The girls lacrosse team will be selling Jamba Juice smoothies during the lunch periods on Tuesday in the Wood Commons. For $4, you can get a 16-ounce smoothie in one of these flavors: Caribbean Passion, Strawberry Wild, Razzmatazz and Mango-A-Go-Go. Funds raised will benefit the varsity’s spring break trip.

The girls cross country team will have an informational meeting for the 2016-17 season at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday in the West Faculty Dining Room (1204). If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Levanti at mlevanti@d125.org.

There will be a girls golf informational meeting for the 2016-17 season at 3:30 p.m. Thursday in the Recital Hall (Room 4100). If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Degen at edegen@d125.org.

CLUB NEWS

The Video Game Club is holding a Smash Brothers tournament today in Room 1204 at 3:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome, whether you are in Video Game Club or not.

PREP ANNOUNCEMENTS

Registration is open for the Patriot Recreation Education Program (PREP) youth and high school summer camps! We have an expanded selection camps in engineering, sports, music and much more. There is something for everyone to enjoy. For more information, visit www.d125.org/prep or call 847-415-4145. Camps fill quickly so register today!

PREP is excited about its new Intro to Fitness and Nutrition camp for students in grades 7-8. This new program is designed to provide young students entering adolescence the importance of lifelong fitness and nutrition. It will focus on three key areas; proper form, basic everyday nutrition, and basic athletic movements. This class is not meant to put kids through a rigorous 90-minute workout, but instead allow them to learn some basic things that they can do on their own when at home. It will also promote better techniques for exercise and some background knowledge in nutrition, as high school athletics nears. The same class will be offered two times a day to help with conflicts during other camps. Click on one of these links to register: 8:30-10 a.m. | 10-11:30 a.m.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Senate approves more MAP grant money, Rauner veto expected

Bloomington legislator floats school funding compromise

Claypool going to Springfield to press for school funding changes

Budget impasse could force College of Lake County to dip into reserves

Controversy flares over McHenry West Marine graduate’s attire

Aurora teacher apologizes for claim he designed POW/MIA flag

Lansing school board member arrested after altercation with motorcyclist

At Chicago conference, scholars consider how to save the liberal arts

UI will give public free access to its research

Daniel Wright Science Olympiad team takes aim at national title (+)

NIU trustees vote to rescind Hastert’s honorary law degree

Emanuel quietly informs Southwest Side of new school, addition

LaRiviere, facing firing, wins principals’ group election in Chicago

Retiring teachers pass wisdom on to aspiring educators

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Battle raging over implementation of Every Student Succeeds Act

Do college admissions policies worsen racial inequality?

Fewer kids could receive free school meals under House bill

California revising textbooks to better reflect state’s diversity

Harvard gets $35M to study early childhood education

Denver Public Schools backs off plan to eliminate high school P.E. requirement

Judge upholds controversial Nevada school choice bill

Colorado education commissioner resigns after four months on the job

Publisher’s ultimatum in test leak riles educators

Paying students may raise test scores, but the lesson is not over

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.