Friday, May 6, 2016

Juniors Win Awards in State, National Writing Contests

Several juniors won state and national writing awards recently. In the Illinois Association of Teachers of English contest, five students won First Place awards. Three were honored in the Prose category: Christie Kang (“We Completed Each Other”), Emily Nicole Pease (“Defense Mechanisms”) and Anna Marie Wellems (“Underneath the Evaporating Rain”). In the Poetry division, Samantha Merrick captured two First Place honors (“Detox” and “Fleeting Humans”). Cindy Yao earned Runner-Up status in Prose (“Behind the Melody”), while two students received Honorable Mention: Ryan Millman (“My Turtle Tried to Run a Marathon’) and Sabrina Zhang (“When the Ground Shifts”).

Five students earned Certificates for Superior Writing in the National Teachers of English contest: Hannah Yan, Katherine Liu, Vivien Liu, Grace Chiou and Sami Sparber. There were 533 juniors across the country nominated NCTE awards, and 264 received Certificates for Superior Writing.

Statesman Captures More Journalism Awards

Stevenson’s journalism program added to its awards collection this week, learning that the Statesman student newspaper earned a pair of top-three awards in the recent Illinois Journalism Educators Association contest. The Statesman placed second overall among hybrid newspapers (available in print and online) in its division, featuring the largest high schools in the state, and was third overall among print newspapers.

The IJEA contest results add to an impressive two-week period that saw Stevenson finish second in the Illinois High School Association state journalism contest, and capture two first-place rankings in the American Scholastic Press Association’s annual contest.

Several students won individual awards in the Illinois Journalism Educators Association contest. Three captured First Place Awards: Seniors Shubhangi Joshi in Advertising and Sabrina Szos in Photo Storytelling, and junior Sami Sparber in Alternative Storytelling.

Joshi also picked up a Second Place Award in Advertising, while fellow senior Sarah Verschoor earned Second Place honors in Front Page Design. Third Place Awards went to senior Brenda Reyn in Editorial Cartoon and Illustration, junior Emma Ismail in Headline, and juniors Nikol Safronova and Lara Iriarte in Centerspread. Honorable Mention winners were Reyn in Editorial Cartoon, senior Kayla Guo in Single Page Story, Sparber in Headline, and junior Karaj Singh in Single Page Story.

Junior’s Script Chosen for Playwriting Festival

For the fourth year in a row, a Stevenson student has been selected as a finalist in the annual LaBute New Theater Festival in St. Louis. Maya Cohen, a junior who is a member of the TBA Playwriting Club, was selected for her one-act play, “Beautiful.” Her script will be performed July 9 at the Gaslight Theatre in St. Louis. Last year, current senior Megan Rivkin was a finalist. She was preceded by Aidan Murphy in 2014 and Murphy and Amanda Ehrmann in 2013.

Spring Dance Concert Tonight and Saturday

The Fine Arts Division will present the 2016 Spring Dance Concert in the Performing Arts Center tonight and Saturday. Performances begin at 7 p.m. Admission is $5. The concert will feature dancing and choreography by students from the Concert Dance class and the Mélange and Repertory Dance Companies. Click here to see the list of students scheduled to perform.

Prom Reminder: Parents Who Host, Lost the Most

The Stand Strong community coalition, of which Stevenson is a member, is reminding parents as Prom and graduation approach that there can be legal consequences if illegal alcohol use occurs in their home. In Buffalo Grove, Lincolnshire and Vernon Hills, parents can be charged even if they are not aware that underage drinking is happening in their home, or even in a property or place they’ve rented. This is just one of several “social hosting” laws in effect at the state and local level in Illinois. Click here to learn more.

Another Report on the Oliver Stone Appearance

The News-Sun also was in attendance at Wednesday night’s Oliver Stone appearance. Here is their report.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Boys Gymnastics

Stevenson at IHSA Mundelein Sectional: Matt Krames qualified for the state meet in four individual events and the all-around, marking the third straight year he will compete in the IHSA finals. Krames, who placed sixth in the all-around at state last year, finished third in this season’s sectional (49.30). He finished second in floor exercise (9.1) and parallel bars (8.75), and was fifth on vault (8.85) and still rings (8.25). The junior has qualified for state in floor and vault each of the last three seasons, and competed in still rings and high bar last year. The state finals are May 13-14 at Hinsdale Central. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Girls Track and Field

Stevenson at North Suburban Conference Championships: At Wauconda, Isabelle Sparreo broke the conference record in the 1,600-meter run en route to winning the event for the second straight year. The sophomore covered the 1,600 in 5:02.73, almost seven seconds faster than the old mark set by Warren’s Heather Olsen in 2007. Sparreo’s title helped Stevenson to a sixth-place finish in the team standings. Janine Fajardo finished second in the 100 hurdles (16.04) and sixth in the 300 hurdles (49.55). She was second in the 100 hurdles last season. Kesina Daley had the other runner-up effort for the Patriots, placing second in the high jump with a leap of 5 feet, 1 inch. Gabriela Jagielo finished sixth in the 800 (2:25.76), while Natalie Sparreo and Jessica Philipp were seventh in the 1,600 (5:15.80) and 3,200 (11:45.23), respectively. Lauren Appell was eighth in the 800 (2:27.22), Juhi Jhaveri placed ninth in the 200 (26.97) and 10th in the 100 (13.13), and Michelle Cai took ninth in the long jump (15-4). Three other Pats were 10th in their events: Amy Atkinson in the discus (99-9), Kendall Roberts in the 3,200 (11:49.20) and Emma Ramagnano in the long jump (15-0). SHS was third in the 3,200 relay (9:44.56), fourth in the 800 relay (1:50.59), seventh in the 400 relay (51.53) and ninth in the 1,600 relay (4:18.92). – Official Results

Boys Tennis

Stevenson 7, Libertyville 0: The Patriots improved to 8-5 on the season. Aswath Viswanathan prevailed at No. 1 singles, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4, while Ben Bush and Sam Komis triumphed at No. 1 doubles, 6-2, 6-4. Other winners in singles were No. 2 Zach Kim (6-0, 6-1) and No. 3 Rafael Sarabia (6-7(6), 6-4, 6-3). The other doubles victories were logged by Matt Harvey and Brian Weisberg at No. 2 (6-2, 6-1), Arjun Sheelvanth and Nicolas Ryding at No. 3 (7-5, 6-7(4), 6-1), and Ryan Yoo and Jeremy Park at No. 4 (6-3, 6-3).

Baseball

Crystal Lake Central 2, Stevenson 1: The host Tigers (11-11) hit a walk-off RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to claim the non-conference contest. The Patriots (17-7-1) took a 1-0 lead in the second when Jack Trotter singled home Robert McGaha, who walked to open the inning. Jack Cappalli went 2-for-3 with a stolen base. Mike Kingery and Logan Lavelle had strong outings on the mound. Kingery pitched the first 5.1 innings, allowing four hits and one earned run. Lavelle followed with 3.1 innings, giving up two hits, one earned run and striking out three. – GameChanger.com, Northwest Herald

Boys Track Meet on The Cube Today

Stevenson’s boys track and field team will compete in today’s Lake County Invitational at Antioch High School. The meet will be streamed live on The Cube beginning at 4 o’clock. Click here to watch the action.

Baseball Alum Ruchim Signs With White Sox

SHS baseball alum Kyle Ruchim (Class of 2010) has signed a minor-league free agent contract with the Chicago White Sox. The 23-year-old, an all-Big Ten performer at Northwestern University, was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 39th round of the 2014 Major League Baseball draft but chose not to sign. Last year, Ruchim played for the independent Schaumburg Boomers, hitting .304 in 60 games with 66 hits and 22 runs scored.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

AP exam schedule, room assignments, cell phone/calculator policy

Applications for Student Council Close Today

Today is the last day to apply for the 2016-17 Student Council. Fill out the online application here. Anyone interested must complete the application, including current members.

Cram for the AP Government Exam on C-SPAN Saturday

Tune-in to C-SPAN Saturday from 8:15-9 a.m. Saturday as Mr. Larsen and Mr. Conneen join the annual “Cram for the Exam” program to help AP Government and Politics students around the country prepare for their upcoming exam on Tuesday. The two teachers will discuss the exam, preview sample questions, and make suggestions as to what students should be studying. They will also respond to student questions asked via telephone, email and social media. If you want to call in with a question, the number will be 202-748-8000. You can Tweet questions using the hashtag #APCram4Ex or email journal@c-span.org.

Melange, Repertory Auditions May 18-19

Auditions for the Melange and Repertory dance companies will be held from 3:45-7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, May 18-19, in Dance Studio Room 2010. Click here to sign up for an audition.

Senior Party Slots Filling Up, Don’t Miss Out

Seniors, tickets are running out for the Senior Class Party boat ride on the day before graduation. Don’t get stuck on the waitlist! Registration forms are being accepted at the school store during regular store hours. Please make sure the form is signed by both you and one parent or guardian. If you need a registration form, stop by Student Activities or click here to print one. Please note: Only cash or checks to Stevenson PPA will be accepted. The Senior Class Party will be held June 1 aboard the Odyssey cruise ship on Lake Michigan.

Students Invited to Apply for State Advisory Council

The Illinois State Board of Education invites current juniors, sophomores and freshmen to apply for one of the open slots on its Student Advisory Council, which provides input on state education issues. The application deadline is May 27. Click here to apply.

CLUB NEWS

Auditions for the SHS Color Guard are Tuesday and Wednesday from 6-9 p.m. in the Wood Commons. No experience is necessary. Please bring water and dress in athletic clothing. If you have any questions, email stevensonguarddirector@gmail.com.

ATHLETICS

There will be a girls basketball summer informational meeting on Friday, May 20 at 7:30 a.m. in Room 2002. If you cannot attend, contact Coach Graham at agraham@d125.org.

Friday, May 13 is the nomination deadline for the Spring ESPPA Awards, which will be given out at the Spring Sports Awards Night. ESPPA stands for Exceptional Stevenson Patriot Pride Award, and honors athletes and teams in all sports and all levels, plus trainers, team managers and fans. Players, coaches, students and parents can submit nominations for Spring ESPPA Awards by clicking here.

The girls lacrosse teams are selling Leider Greenhouse gift certificates to help benefit their annual spring trips. Certificates are available in amounts of $25, $50 or $100, and do not have an expiration date. You can order gift certificates by contacting any Patriot girls lacrosse player, or contact Michele Murphy at emmjmurphy@att.com or 847-726-2254. The sale has been extended to May 16, so buy some for Mother’s Day!

CAREER EXPLORATION

We have filled all the spots for summer career shadowing, so we will no longer be accepting any more applications. If you have already turned in an application or have contacted Mrs. Willock before today, you will still be able to participate. We will resume taking applications again in the fall for the next school year. Please make sure to check the Career Exploration webpage and follow the College and Career Center on Facebook for the latest updates. For general career questions, please contact Mrs. Willock at dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

State Senate approves $454M higher-education package

Vote on school funding reform plan delayed

High schools navigate transgender questions on bathrooms, locker rooms

College of DuPage approves three-year contract with new president (+)

Will queries on auditor affect College of DuPage probe? (+)

Mayor won’t consider CTU’s ideas to raise school money locally

Former Chicago principal, Emanuel critic tells his side of the story

Emanuel, CPS CEO prickly about sending their kids to private school

Northwestern University develops new digital learning website

West Chicago High piano man celebrates 50 years (+)

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Do tests improve learning? Poor families think so, more than wealthier ones

Survey: Nearly half of teachers would quit now for higher-paying job

King: New program dispels Asian education myths with data

Los Angeles renews emphasis on required ethnic studies courses

Education cuts prompt revolt, despair in Oklahoma

Decade after Katrina, New Orleans poised to regain schools

Lawsuit targets St. Louis-area school desegregation plan

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.