Friday, April 29, 2016

Final Exam Schedule for Seniors Adjusted

The school has decided to adjust the final exam schedule for the senior class to remove potential schedule conflicts with end-of-year activities. Seniors will have their final exams on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 31 and June 1, so they can participate in graduation-related activities on Thursday, June 2. All other students will have final exams as scheduled Tuesday through Thursday, May 31 through June 2. Seniors will take all of their final exams in the Field House rather than in their regular classrooms. Click here for more details.

“Lali’s Law” Heading to U.S. House for Vote

Federal legislation named for a Stevenson alumnus that would help increase access to an opioid overdose antidote is moving to the U.S. House of Representatives for a vote after it passed out of committee this week, the News-Sun reports. “Lali’s Law,” named for Alex Laliberte, would fund state programs that allow pharmacists to distribute naloxone, an opioid overdose antidote, without a prescription. Laliberte died of a heroin overdose in 2008.

Statesman Earns Two Awards in ASPA Contest

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, has been awarded a first-place ranking in the American Scholastic Press Association’s annual contest for collegiate and secondary education student publications. This is the second straight year Stevenson has earned the honor. The paper also received an award for Outstanding Story (Non-School Related) for its article on teen drinking. The piece was written and designed by juniors Lara Iriarte and Nikol Safronova. The Statesman was judged for its November and December 2015 issues. Journalism teacher Dean Bradshaw is the newspaper’s adviser.

Snowden Movie Adds to Oliver Stone Appearance

Oliver Stone will have one more movie to talk about during his Stevenson Foundation-sponsored appearance at the school next week. The Academy Award-winning director of Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, JFK and other films will debut his latest movie, Snowden, in September. The official trailer was released Wednesday. The movie is about Edward Snowden, the former national security employee who leaked classified documents revealing the federal government’s citizen surveillance program.

During his Stevenson appearance, Stone and American University professor Peter Kuznick will show an episode on the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki from their 10-part documentary series, The Untold History of the United States, followed by a moderated discussion and open-question period, plus a book and DVD signing opportunity. The event starts at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in the West Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public. Registration is not required.

Senior Talks About Her Role in Proposed Voter Law

The Daily Herald talked with senior Megan Rivkin, who is the impetus behind proposed legislation that would extend the parameters of the “Suffrage @ 17” law that originated at Stevenson. Rivkin, a 17-year-old who turns 18 in May and will be eligible to vote this fall, became frustrated after learning that the law said she was too young to register potential voters or collect signatures for candidates. “This seemed counterintuitive to me,” Rivkin told the newspaper. “If I am deemed old enough to vote, I don’t see why I shouldn’t have all voter participation rights.” The legislation, which was approved by the House last week, would allow eligible 17-year-olds to sign and circulate nominating petitions for candidates, serve as deputy voter registrars, and vote in township primaries.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Girls Water Polo

Stevenson 15, New Trier 3: Allison Travetto scored 10 goals for the host Patriots (20-1) and goalie Lauren Burns made 14 saves. Lauren Maloney scored twice, and Fiona Gaffney, Claire Haas and Eileen Hoang also scored.

Baseball

Stevenson 2, Antioch 1: Three pitchers combined on a two-hitter for the host Patriots (14-5-1, 6-2), who scored one run in the fifth to tie the game and added the game-winner in the sixth. Michael Marchese started on the mound and was followed by Logan Lavelle and Bronson Litcher, with Litcher picking up the win. Patrick Loeffler and Dylan Molek each had three hits.

Softball

Antioch 12, Stevenson 3 (5 inn.): An eight-run second inning propelled the Sequoits past the Patriots (7-11, 3-4). – Daily Herald

Boys Tennis Team Prepares for “Mini” State Tournament

The Patriot boys tennis team will take part in the annual Tom Pitchford Tennis Invitational this weekend, an event featuring 32 of the top schools in Illinois. The Pitchford 32 is considered to be a mini-state tournament. The Daily Herald previews the invite here.

Faunce Providing Power for Softball Team

Michaela “Mic” Faunce has wasted no time in making an impact on the varsity softball team. The junior catcher, who transferred to SHS after two years at Marian Central in Woodstock, has provided power and athleticism for the Patriots.

Cashaw Overcomes Hip Injury, Makes Impact at Rice

Connor Cashaw (Class of 2015) talked about his freshman season on the Rice University men’s basketball team, which turned out to be busier than he expected. Cashaw had hip surgery after helping Stevenson win the state championship last year, and didn’t expect to be ready until December. He was able to play earlier, and played a lot, averaging nearly 30 minutes a game for the Owls.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Prom Ticket Sales End Monday

Tickets for Prom are on sale at the Superstore and online until Monday. Tickets are $85 per person. The Prom will be held Saturday, May 14 at the Renaissance Convention Center in Schaumburg. Click here for details.

Post-Prom Event Planned at Six Flags Great America

Anyone attending Prom is invited to a VIP post-Prom event at Six Flags Great America with students from several area schools, including Lake Forest. The cost is $55 per person, which includes unlimited access to all rides, a dinner buffet, DJ, dancing, transportation and more. Special buses will leave the Prom at 10 p.m. to go directly to Six Flags, and then depart at 3 a.m. to go back to SHS. Permission slips are required. Tickets can be purchased at the school store or online, wherever Prom tickets are sold. Adult chaperones are needed for the post-Prom event. Any interested adults can contact Jamie Epstein at jepstein@standstrongcoalition.org.

Advanced Choir Class Auditions Next Week

Do you like to sing? Want to develop your skills and have a great time performing and participating on fun field trips? Placement auditions for Stevenson’s advanced choir classes (Advanced Chorus and Patriot Singers) are happening Wednesday through Saturday, May 4-7. Sign-up sheets and audition information are posted outside the Choir Room (2202). Please contact Mrs. Nuteson (anuteson@d125.org) if you have any questions.

Applications for Student Council Now Open

If you would like to join Student Council for the 2016-17 school year, fill out the online application here by Friday, May 6. Anyone interested must complete the application, including current members.

Host an Exchange Student From Denmark This Fall

Learn all about another country and culture without leaving home by hosting an exchange student from Denmark this fall! Applications and information are available by opening this link or stopping by Room 2414.

Choral Guild Fundraiser at Lou Malnati’s Wednesday

The Choral Guild is having a benefit day at Lou Malnati’s in Buffalo Grove next Wednesday. Show this flyer between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m., and 20% of pre-tax sales will go to the Choral Guild. The promotion includes dine-in, carryout and delivery.

CLUB NEWS

Come take a break from AP studies and enjoy the $1 Dollar Music and Movies 1st Wednesday with the Black Association of Stevenson Students and DIVCO! We’ll be watching “Rush Hour” starting at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 4 in Room 1414. For $1, you’ll get free pizza from Lou Malnati’s and free soda, too! Also, enter to win a $10 gift certificate for Lou Malnati’s Pizza during lunch periods in the West Commons. Flyer

CAREER EXPLORATION

We have filled all the spots for summer career shadowing, so we will no longer be accepting any more applications. If you have already turned in an application or have contacted Mrs. Willock before today, you will still be able to participate. We will resume taking applications again in the fall for the next school year. Please make sure to check the Career Exploration webpage and follow the College and Career Center on Facebook for the latest updates.  For general career questions, please contact Mrs. Willock at dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

District 211 might start its own alternative school for students in trouble (+)

Evanston Township High staff accused of stealing from student lockers

Northeastern Illinois University to halt employee furloughs, for now

CPS to test for lead in water at 28 elementary schools

Yorkville High students lobby to have Hastert’s name removed from gym

Glenbard West threats unfounded, officials say (+)

Six injured in Lockport school bus crash

Lake Villa District 41 board approves raises for administrators

Waukegan High senior named Golden Apple Scholar

Fired Oakton cop’s lawsuit: “Problem employee” ad is defamatory (+)

Galesburg school board dismisses curriculum director

Chicago clergy join CPS in lobbying Rauner for more money

UI officials, local NAACP to discuss campus noose incident

Carbondale’s “second chance” high school on brink of closure without budget

Former Carmel teacher, basketball coach Belmont dies (+)

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Public colleges relying more on state funding, less on tuition

National Teacher of the Year was a teenage mom, teachers changed her life

Teachers unions return to some New Orleans schools

Some dual-enrollment students in Texas losing pre-earned college credits

University of California-Davis chancellor placed on leave for employing family

Why do so few with autism go to college?

Los Angeles schools: 6,000 seniors with failing grades “on track” to graduate

School choir invited back to 9/11 memorial after being cut off in mid-performance

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.