Tuesday, April 19, 2016

SHS Earns High Ranking by U.S. News Again

Stevenson is once again the state’s highest-ranked open-enrollment high school in the latest U.S. News and World Report rankings of American public high schools released today. SHS is ranked fifth in Illinois, behind four Chicago magnet schools: Northside Prep, Payton College Prep, Whitney Young and Jones College Prep. Stevenson is ranked No. 166 nationally among approximately 21,500 high schools. SHS also has the second-highest rated STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) program in the state, behind Payton Prep, and is ranked No. 76 in the country.

Stevenson had the same state ranking last year (behind the same four magnet schools), and was No. 191 overall in the country. The STEM program was ranked No. 46.

Oscar-Winning Director Coming to Stevenson

Academy Award-winning director Oliver Stone and American University history professor Peter Kuznick will screen an episode of their 10-part documentary film series, “The Untold History of the United States,” at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 4 in the West Auditorium. They will show the third episode in the 2012 series, which focuses on the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The free event is sponsored by the Stevenson High School Foundation and open to the public. A question-and-answer session will follow the screening, and Stone and Kuznick will discuss the documentary as well as their companion book by the same name. Stone has won two Academy Awards for Best Director, for “Platoon” in 1986 and “Born on the Fourth of July” in 1989. He also won an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for the 1978 movie “Midnight Express.” Stone also directed “Wall Street” and “JFK,” among other movies.

Economics Team Members Finish 3-4 at State Finals

Two teams of students from the Economics Club finished third and fourth, respectively, at the Illinois Economics Challenge State Finals April 6 at the Federal Reserve Bank in Chicago. Only 10 teams among the 127 that entered the competition from around the state were invited to the finals. The team of juniors Reuben Gutmann, David Liu, Alexander Shi and Kevin You finished third, while the team of seniors Marco Laudati, Kazuma Shimanaka and William Chang, and his sophomore sister Jennifer Chang, was fourth. The challenge is designed to recognize Advanced Placement students who demonstrate high levels of comprehension and application of economics concepts and skills, and to reward their teachers for outstanding practices in teaching AP economics courses. The SHS contingent was led by club sponsor and AP Macroeconomics teacher James Kollar. They qualified for state by finishing among the top 10 teams in the state on a 30-question online test in March. At state, teams had to complete a case study presentation judged by financial sector leaders. The presentation dealt with applying economic concepts to maintain or strengthen Starbucks sales in light of a coffee bean shortage.

Celebrate Your Graduating Senior in the Statesman

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, will honor the Class of 2016 in its special senior issue at the end of May. Parents of seniors are invited to purchase an ad congratulating their graduating student. The cost is only $20. The deadline to order a senior ad is May 6. Click here for details, and to order.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Monday’s Varsity Results

Boys Track and Field

Stevenson 82.5, Lake Zurich 63.5; Stevenson 107, Mundelein 39: SHS swept the triangular in the Stadium, with seven different Patriots winning events. Jared Borowsky captured the 800 (2:02.2) and the 3,200 (10:00.1). Other individual winners included Johnathan Powell in the long jump (19-4), David Goncharov in the triple jump (42-3), Jake Calamari in the 100 high hurdles (16.8), Aaron Portman in the 400 (53.2), Jordan Eng in the 300 intermediate hurdles (43.2) and Caleb Oh in the 1,600 (4:36.8). Stevenson also won the 800 relay (1:32.5) and the 1,600 relay (3:35.0). Noah Lukz was second in the long jump (19-2) and 100 (11.1), while Powell placed second in the triple jump (38-10.5) and the 400 (53.6). Other runner-up finishes came from David Engstrom in the high jump (5-6), Paul Udoni in the 3,200 (10:02.2), Stephen Rice in the 100 high hurdles (17.2) and Calamari in the 300 hurdles (43.6). SHS also was second in the 3,200 relay (8:28.4).

Badminton

Stevenson 14, Thornton Fractional South 4: The Patriots (7-0) remained unbeaten in dual competition, winning 10 of 12 singles matches and four of six doubles contests in the Field House. Singles victories came from No. 1 Ashley Richardson (21-11, 21-9), No. 2 DaMin Paik (21-14, 21-19), No. 3 May Ling (18-21, 21-12, 21-15), No. 4 Kelsey Huang (19-21, 21-14, 21-17), No. 5 Shirley Cao (21-16, 21-18), No. 6 Ana Stanley (14-21, 21-12, 21-15), No. 7 Sarah Hou (21-18, 21-19), No. 9 Kat Stanley (21-16, 21-15), No. 10 Thivya Sivarajah (21-19, 21-17) and No. 12 Annie Wu (21-23, 22-20, 21-10). In doubles, the winning teams were No. 2 Cao/Huang (21-14, 14-21, 21-17), No. 3 Richardson/A. Stanley (21-9, 21-19), No. 4 Niveda Tennety/Paik (21-10, 21-11) and No. 5 Sivarajah/K. Stanley (19-21, 21-16, 21-9).

Softball

Carmel 10, Stevenson 0 (5 inn.): In Mundelein, the Patriots (7-5) were held to two hits. – Daily Herald

Boys Lacrosse Game on SBN Tonight

Tonight’s varsity boys lacrosse game against Glenbard West will be streamed live by the Stevenson Broadcast Network beginning at 6:15 p.m. You can watch the action at www.d125.org/sbn.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Taking Driver Education at SHS This Summer or Fall?

Students enrolled in Driver Education at Stevenson this summer and in the fall must attend two mandatory meetings this week to get your learner’s permit. The first meeting, which you can attend from 3:30-5 p.m. today, involves taking a vision test. The second includes the permit test, and you can attend on Thursday or Friday. Click here for more information.

Prom Tickets On Sale at Superstore, Online

Tickets for Prom are on sale at the Superstore and online until Monday, May 2. Tickets are $85 per person. The Prom will be held Saturday, May 14 at the Renaissance Convention Center in Schaumburg. Click here for details.

Special Exam Options for World Languages Students

Students in World Languages classes have the option to take an exam next week that can help them be recognized by the State of Illinois in its Seal of Biliteracy program. Students in Chinese, French, German and Spanish can take the Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages (AAPPL) exam, while those in Latin can take the Latin Interpretive Reading Assessment (ALIRA) test. The cost is $20 for the AAPPL and $10 for the ALIRA. Students need to sign up by Friday. The tests will be administered after school on Tuesday, April 26. For more information, stop by Room 2434 and ask for Mrs. Buccieri.

Third Annual Fashion Show is Thursday

The third annual Fashion Show will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Performing Arts Center. Admission will be $5, and all proceeds will benefit Dress for Success. There will be a red carpet photo op, refreshments and the chance to see all the amazing fashions your friends are making in Clothing and Design, plus the latest looks from local boutiques. Hope to see you there!

Come See SHS Artwork at the Conference Art Show

You’re cordially invited to attend the opening of the North Suburban Conference Art Festival at Vernon Hills High School on Thursday. Stevenson High School will have 59 artworks represented from our incredibly talented students. The show is open from 6-8 p.m. at the Vernon Hills High School Field House, 145 Lakeview Parkway, in Vernon Hills.

Band Parents Fundraiser at Malnati’s on Wednesday

The Band Parents Organization is having a fundraiser at Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria in Buffalo Grove from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Wednesday. Mention “Stevenson Band” and a portion of your order will go to the band program. Orders can be placed for delivery, pickup or dine-in.

Did You Take Wheel Throwing in Odyssey? Read This

Students who participated in the Odyssey Wheel Throwing classes may come in to glaze their work until Friday. The following times and rooms are available to you to glaze: 7:40 a.m. through first hour in Room 1422; fifth, sixth and eighth hour in Room 1426; and 3:25-4:30 p.m. (today only) in Room 1422. If you do not come in to glaze or pick up your artwork by Friday, your work will no longer be available to take home.

Order Your Free WIT By April 29

Complimentary copies of the WIT, Stevenson’s literary magazine run, written and produced by students, are available to anyone who is interested. Orders must be turned in by Friday, April 29. Order forms for students and community members can be downloaded here: Students | Community

College Essay Workshop for Juniors This Summer

Attention juniors: Get a head start with college essays this summer! Register for the College Essay Workshop, which is being offered three times during the summer. Get help on your personal statement with Ms. Arias, Mr. Bradshaw, Ms. Cullen, Mr. Johnson, Ms. Lukens or Mrs. Mack! About 160 students are registered already, but there is still space to join! Students who did the workshop last summer gave several endorsements. One raved about how the teachers have “extensive knowledge in reading college essays,” while another said “It gives you a kick start. … Awesome class!” Check the summer school catalog for details at www.d125.org/summer.

CAREER EXPLORATION

We are now accepting new Career Shadow applications for the summer. Applications must be received by May 9 in order for you to participate in a shadow over the summer. Please pick up an application in the CCC or download one from the Career Exploration page. Completed applications can be turned in to the CCC. Applicants will then be contacted by Mrs. Willock to schedule an appointment.

Interested in a career in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math)? Plan on attending Fermilab’s Career Expo on Wednesday from 5:30-8:30 p.m. in Batavia. This is a free event and no registration is required. Read more here.

ATHLETICS

The girls lacrosse teams are selling Leider Greenhouse gift certificates to help benefit their annual spring trips. Certificates are available in amounts of $25, $50 or $100, and do not have an expiration date. You can order gift certificates by contacting any Patriot girls lacrosse player, or contact Michele Murphy at emmjmurphy@att.com or 847-726-2254.

The girls basketball team is a finalist for Chicago Sky High School Team of the Year. Voting is open until Saturday, April 30 at http://sky.wnba.com/hstoty-vote/. The winner will be announced at halftime of the Sky’s season opener on Saturday, May 14.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention juniors and seniors: We have two visits coming up next Monday. U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Eric Huot will be here during fourth period at 10:55 a.m., and College of Lake County Recruitment Specialist Ashley Ward will be joining us sixth hour at 12:45 p.m. These visits take place in the College Career Center and will last the entire class period. Please sign up in Naviance to attend. Print the confirmation page and have your teacher sign the page. Bring the signed confirmation page with you on the date of the visit. If you have any questions, please stop in the College Career Center – Room 1123.  Hope to see you there.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Chicago schools need to borrow more money to stay afloat, CEO says

Non-tenured faculty at University of Illinois begin two-day strike

Niles North social studies teacher wins Golden Apple Award

Loyola U. women’s basketball coach accused of mistreating players

Springfield board changes president, extends superintendent’s contract

In wake of District 219 investigation, firm proposes anti-nepotism policy

All Wauconda High freshmen to get Chromebooks in fall (+)

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Texas, Arizona high schools dominate new U.S. News rankings

Bilingual education battle brewing in California

Tennessee phases out Common Core

Can teacher residency programs lead to better-prepared, lifelong teachers?

University of Wisconsin faculty speak out against arrest in classroom

Houston schools close due to flash flooding

Student stress worrying educators at top Silicon Valley-area schools

Maryland student’s satirical essay based on “A Modest Proposal” sparks outrage

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.