Thursday, February 25, 2016

SHS Foundation Announces Golf Outing Details

The Stevenson High School Foundation is accepting registrations for its annual Golf Invitational and Dinner, which will be held Monday, June 13 at Hawthorn Woods Country Club. The event is the Foundation’s biggest fundraiser of the year, with proceeds supporting the Stevenson to College program, the Kids In Need (KIN) Fund, and student scholarships. Back by popular demand this year will be the $10,000 helicopter ball drop, while a new wrinkle will be hole-in-one contests on all par-three holes. Sponsorship opportunities are available. To register, or for more information, visit www.StevensonFoundation.org/Golf.

The Foundation also has three upcoming events. Rocket Man: The Ultimate Elton John Tribute, comes to the Performing Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 16. Tickets are $20. The Foundation’s children’s theater series concludes Sunday, March 20 with two performances of “Charlotte’s Web.” Show times are 1 and 3 p.m. in the Little Theater portion of the Performing Arts Center. All seats are $5. Finally, on Sunday, March 13, the Foundation and the Vernon Area Public Library are sponsoring a visit by Hoosier Mama Pie maven Paula Haney, who will dish about her life and making pie. The free event will take place in Room 2104 of the West Building. Registration is requested.

NHS, 300 Club Applications Due Next Week

Two important deadlines are coming up next week for SHS students. National Honor Society applications are due by Wednesday, while graduating seniors must turn in their 300 Club applications by Friday, March 4. Students with questions can stop by the Student Activities Office.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Wednesday’s Varsity Results

Boys Basketball

Stevenson at North Suburban Conference Championship Game: The Patriots (22-6) won their fourth consecutive NSC title with a 65-50 victory at North Chicago that was not as close as the final score suggests. SHS led by 10 points after the first quarter, and expanded the margin to 27 by early in the fourth quarter. Justin Smith scored a game-high 18 points, including four dunks, and also grabbed 12 rebounds. Ryuji Aoki added 16 points, 11 in the first half. He hit four three-pointers. Aidan O’Connell also reached double figures with 10 points. Defensively, Stevenson forced 17 turnovers, and held the Warhawks to 6-of-20 shooting in the first half. – Daily Herald (+)

Alum Named to U.S. Women’s National Hockey Team

Olympic silver medalist Megan Bozek (Class of 2009) is one of 23 players named to the U.S. Women’s National Hockey Team roster for the upcoming International Ice Hockey Federation Women’s World Championship in British Columbia. The event takes place March 28-April 4 in British Columbia. Bozek is one of 13 players on the team who were part of the U.S. Women’s Olympic team in 2014. This will be her third appearance in the IHF World Championship. She was on the gold medal-winning team in 2013 and also earned a silver in 2012.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Time to Sign Up for Project Dance

It’s time to sign up for the 10th annual Project Dance, which will be held April 9 in the Sports Center. If you’re not familiar with Project Dance, this is the school’s annual fundraiser to help two worthy causes: The Riverside Foundation in Lincolnshire, which works with adults who have developmental disabilities, and the Stevenson Foundation’s Kids In Need Fund, which helps families struggling to pay for basics in order to attend school. If you sign up by Friday, you’ll save five dollars on the registration fee. When you register, type the word BEACH, in the code box. Click here to register, and for more information.

College Essay Workshop for Juniors This Summer

Juniors can get a head start with their college essays this summer by taking the College Essay Workshop. The workshop will be offered three times during summer school: the first week of the first session, and the first and last week of the second session. You can get help on your personal statement and the various writing prompts for college applications. The workshop can help you finish your essay before senior year begins. Last year, more than 150 students received help with their essays!

Showcase 2016 Ticket Sales Underway

Ticket sales for Showcase 2016 are available every school day during all lunch periods in the Wood Commons until Friday, March 4. The first seven rows will be for students only and are general admission. All remaining seats are reserved. All tickets are $10 each. Limited tickets will also be available at the door on show nights. Tickets may be paid for at the Patriot Superstore with cash, check or student ID. Showcase 2016 will be presented on Friday and Saturday, March 4-5 at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Each show is different and unique, so join us both nights for two outstanding evenings of entertainment!

Last Chance to Attend Operation Snowball

If you missed the Operation Snowball retreat in December, here’s the second chance you’ve been looking for. The next Operation Snowball retreat is March 18-20 at YMCA Camp MacLean in Burlington, Wisconsin. Operation Snowball is a weekend of making new friends, having new experiences, relieving stress, taking healthy risks, understanding yourself and others, communicating with peers and adults, singing, eating, dancing, and having fun. More information and a registration links are online at www.d125.org/students/clubs-and-activities/operation-snowball. You can also find out more information at the Student Activities Office, or by contacting Mr. Mazzuca at pmazzuca@d125.org or in Room 7080, Mr. Hutchins at rhutchins@d125.org or in Room 6028, or Ms. Czaplewski at mczaplewski@d125.org. The registration deadline is March 16.

Food Service Survey for Students

Sodexo would like to know what you think about the food and service in the school cafeterias. Please take a minute to fill out an online survey here.

Sign Up for the March 4 Blood Drive

Here’s your chance to be a hero. If you’re 17 or older and weigh at least 110 pounds, you could save three lives by giving blood on Friday, March 4. The school is having a blood drive with LifeSource in the Wrestling Room (Room 2111) during periods 3-8. Not only will you help save lives, but you’ll also help two worthy causes: the Stevenson to College program, and micro-loans to entrepreneurs in developing countries. Click here to register and download the required forms.

Does Your GPA Qualify for National Honor Society?

Sophomores and juniors who are not currently in National Honor Society: If you have a cumulative, weighted GPA of 3.9 or higher and have not received an invitation via U.S. mail to apply, please email Mr. Erdmann (berdmann@d125.org). Invitations were mailed recently, and the deadline to apply for NHS is Wednesday, March 2.

Odyssey Clay Masks Available in Room 1422

Students who participated in either day of the Clay Mask class during Odyssey can pick up their masks in Room 1422.

COLLEGE NEWS

The Illinois Regional College Fair will be held Tuesday, March 15 at the College of Lake County from 6-8 p.m. in the Physical Education Center (Building 7) at the Grayslake campus. There will be 150 college and university representatives at the College Fair, which is open to all high school students and their parents. There also will be two financial aid sessions in Room 706. The CLC campus is located at 19351 W. Washington Street in Grayslake. Park in Lots 2 or 3 on the north side of the campus, closest to the Washington Street and Lancer Lane entrance.  See the CLC website for more information: www.clcillinois.edu/collegenight.

Attention seniors: The Lancer Scholarship Application is available to be picked up in the College Career Center (Room 1123). This $2,500 scholarship is for Lake County high school seniors pursuing higher education at the College of Lake County this fall.  One student will be selected from Stevenson High School to be a recipient of this scholarship. The application deadline is Friday, March 11. Please see Mrs. McGurn in the College Career Center if you have any questions.

CLUB NEWS

Sophomore Class Board will celebrate its second-place finish in the Winterfest competition by having cake after school today in the College/Career Center. New members are welcome to attend.

After a very informative field trip to the Save-A-Pet Adoption Center in Grayslake, the Animal Welfare Club would like to introduce its Adoptable Dog and Cat of the Month! Our February Dog Of The Month is Sammy, a Great Dane/Lab mix, and our Cat Of The Month is Bunny. If you or anyone you know may be interested in welcoming a new four-legged member to your family, please check them out on the Animal Welfare Club website at http://shsanimalwelfare.weebly.com/pets-of-the-month! Again, these animals are available at Save-A-Pet, which can be contacted at 847-740-7788. Don’t forget to check out some of their friends at http://www.saveapetil.org/, all waiting for love!

INTRAMURALS

The Stevenson Intramural Dodgeball League informational meeting will be held at 3:30 today in Room 7096. For more information visit the IM Dodgeball page at http://www.d125.org/students/shs-intramurals/dodgeball.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Applications are now being accepted for the Fermilab TARGET science and engineering program. This is a highly competitive, paid, summer internship program for sophomores and juniors. The application deadline is Friday. For an application and more information, click here. Explore more summer career camps and options by visiting the Career Exploration Website summer opportunities page. Find us on Facebook. Stay informed on all the latest college and career information and be aware of upcoming events.

In need of summer work? The Jobapalooza Expo and Job Fair is coming to the College of Lake County on Thursday, March 3, from 6-8 p.m. at the Grayslake Campus.  Learn more by visiting www.clcillinois.edu/cjpc.

Applications for Advocate Lutheran General Hospital’s summer internship for future healthcare professionals are now being accepted until April 6. This is only open to juniors and Seniors. For more information, please click here.

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Galesburg board OKs 109 reduction-in-force notices to cut costs

School cancellations continue into Thursday across Chicago area

21 charter campuses seek to open in Chicago Public Schools

Parents seek ouster of Springfield-area superintendent

Contract conflict overshadows budget cut talks in Decatur

Rockford residents to play role in fate of closed schools

Hugh Hefner saves student newspaper of his high school alma mater

Huntley District 158 teacher saves student choking on Cheez-It

How Loyola’s meditating med students are transcending stress

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

California ruling raises objections to release of personal student data

Nike founder giving $400M to found scholars program at Stanford

Do coding skills count as a foreign language?

Colleges frustrated with lack of Title IX guidance

San Francisco school board OKs condom access in middle schools

Missouri districts spend $100M to create tornado “safe rooms”

In-school “pop-up shops” let Alabama students shop for necessities

Officer uses stun gun to break up fight at Florida school

Follett acquires ClassBook, will have 400 virtual textbook stores

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.