Friday, February 19, 2016

Nine Students Earn Regional Writing Awards

Nine Stevenson students earned honors in the regional Scholastic Art and Writing Awards competition, and two of them are under consideration for national accolades. Senior Rebecca Nelson and junior Katherine Liu earned Gold Key awards, the top level in the regional contest. Both received Gold Key awards in the Poetry and Personal Essay/Memoir categories, and Liu also garnered a Gold Key in Flash Fiction. National medalists will be announced March 14.

The other SHS students receiving awards were juniors Caroline Fatina, Samantha Merrick, Emily Nicole-Pease, Dayna Splansky and Eliza Sullivan, and sophomores Katherine Chiasson and Andrew Hwang.

The majority of the award winners are members of the Write Club, which celebrates all forms of fiction as well as creative non-fiction, by writing and reading published and student-produced works. Liu and Nelson are co-founders and co-presidents of the club.  Click here to see the awards all nine students received.

Student Featured in Guitar World Magazine

The list of talented students at Stevenson is lengthy, and here’s one more name to add: Guitarist extraordinaire Spencer Rabin. The junior, who started playing when he was 4 and had a gig at Chicago’s House of Blues at age 8, was featured in Guitar World magazine last month for his cover version of Jimi Hendrix’s classic song “Voodoo Child (Slight Return).” In addition to his guitar work, Rabin is a composer and producer. “People don’t realize that I’m more than just a guitarist,” he told the school newspaper, the Statesman, in its latest issue. “I’m not bound to a certain genre. I love producing all genres of music.” You can check out Rabin’s work at www.spencerrabinmusic.com.

Correction

Thursday’s Digest incorrectly reported that Saturday night’s Winterfest Dance is in the Sports Center. The dance will be held in the Field House.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Wrestling

Stevenson at IHSA Individual State Tournament: Michael Kordek won his opening round match at 182 pounds, defeating Ezra Avery of Lyons Township, 8-7. Kordek (39-4) will face Schaumburg’s Tony Vezzetti (32-6), ranked fifth in the state by IllinoisMatmen.com, in the semifinals this morning. In a matchup of the second- and third-ranked wrestlers at 152, No. 3 Dylan Geick (39-5) lost to Nick Foster (42-2) of Belleville East, 5-3. The other two Patriots who made it to state also lost their first-round matches. Robert Pavlovics (33-15) lost to Johnny Mologousis (41-2) of Lyons Township, 14-3, at 160 pounds. Nikita Nepomnyashchiy (36-8) lost a 7-3 decision at 170 pounds to Brian Krasowski (42-4) of Sandburg. Geick, Pavlovics and Nepomnyashchiy will continue in the consolation bracket today if their first-round opponents win in the semifinals. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Girls Basketball

Stevenson at IHSA Class 4A Wheeling Regional: The third-seeded Patriots lost to No. 6 seed Zion-Benton in the regional championship game, 54-48, ending their season with a 25-6 record. Ashley Richardson led SHS with 15 points. Madison Wicklund scored 12 points off the bench, and Kiana Cencula added 11 points and a team-high five rebounds. – Daily Herald (+)

Rudy, Webb Closing Out Careers at State

Seniors Kaitlyn Rudy and Mikaela Webb will close out their high school careers at IHSA state tournaments for girls bowling and girls gymnastics, respectively, this weekend. Rudy finished third in Illinois last year in her first trip to state, while Webb also is making her second straight state appearance. You can follow their results at these links: Girls Bowling | Girls Gymnastics

Winter ESPPA Awards Nomination Deadline is Monday

Monday is the last day to make your nomination for the Winter ESPPA Awards, which will be given out at the Winter Sports Awards Night. ESPPA stands for Exceptional Stevenson Patriot Pride Award, and honors athletes and teams in all sports and all levels, plus trainers, team managers and fans. Players, coaches, students and parents can submit nominations for Winter ESPPA Awards by clicking here.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Showcase 2016 Ticket Sales Start Monday

Ticket sales for Showcase 2016 run every day from Monday, February 22- Friday, March 4 during all lunch periods in the Wood Commons. The first seven rows will be for students only and are general admission. All remaining seats are reserved. All tickets are $10 each. Limited tickets will also be available at the door on show nights. Tickets may be paid for at the Patriot Superstore with cash, check or student ID. Showcase 2016 will be presented on Friday and Saturday, March 4-5 at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Each show is different and unique, so join us both nights for two outstanding evenings of entertainment!

Did You Take the Clay Mask Class During Odyssey?

Students who participated in the Clay Mask class during Odyssey on Tuesday, February 9 can pick up their masks in Room 1422.

Does Your GPA Qualify for National Honor Society?

Sophomores and juniors who are not currently in National Honor Society: If you have a cumulative, weighted GPA of 3.9 or higher and have not received an invitation via U.S. mail to apply, please email Mr. Erdmann (berdmann@d125.org). Invitations were mailed about one week ago and the deadline to apply for NHS is March 2.

Director Application for One Acts Available Online

If you’re interested in being a director for The One Acts — the one-act plays written, directed and acted by students this spring — the application is available at www.d125.org/audition. Applications are due to Ms. Nowak or Ms. Rawitz no later than 8 a.m. Thursday. Auditions and casting for The One Acts will take place March 15 in the West Auditorium.

Sign Up for the March 4 Blood Drive

Here’s your chance to be a hero. If you’re 17 or older and weigh at least 110 pounds, you could save three lives by giving blood on Friday, March 4. The school is having a blood drive with LifeSource in the Wrestling Room (Room 2111) during periods 3-8. Not only will you help save lives, but you’ll also help two worthy causes: the Stevenson to College program, and micro-loans to entrepreneurs in developing countries. Click here to register and download the required forms.

CLUB NEWS

Are you interested in weather and always wanted to understand it better? The Meteorology Club meets at 3:45 p.m. Monday in Room 6036. Contact Mr. Eriksen for more information at seriksen@d125.org.

After a very informative field trip to the Save-A-Pet Adoption Center in Grayslake, the Animal Welfare Club would like to introduce its Adoptable Dog and Cat of the Month! Our February Dog Of The Month is Sammy, a Great Dane/Lab mix, and our Cat Of The Month is Bunny. If you or anyone you know may be interested in welcoming a new four-legged member to your family, please check them out on the Animal Welfare Club website at http://shsanimalwelfare.weebly.com/pets-of-the-month! Again, these animals are available at Save-A-Pet, which can be contacted at 847-740-7788. Don’t forget to check out some of their friends at http://www.saveapetil.org/, all waiting for love!

ATHLETICS

There will be a girls lacrosse informational meeting on Monday in Room 7096 from 7:15-7:45 a.m. and 3:30-4:00 p.m. (athletes only need to attend one session). If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Gutierrez at sgutierrez@d125.org.

INTRAMURALS

The Stevenson Intramural Dodgeball League informational meeting will be held at 3:30 p.m. Thursday in Room 7096. For more information visit the IM Dodgeball page at http://www.d125.org/students/shs-intramurals/dodgeball.

CAREER EXPLORATION

In need of summer work? The Jobapalooza Expo and Job Fair is coming to the College of Lake County on Thursday, March 2, from 6-8 p.m. at the Grayslake Campus.  Learn more by visiting www.clcillinois.edu/cjpc.

Applications for Advocate Lutheran General Hospital’s summer internship for future healthcare professionals are now being accepted until April 6. This is only open to juniors and Seniors. For more information, please click here.

Applications are now being accepted for the Fermilab TARGET science and engineering program. This is a highly competitive, paid, summer internship program for sophomores and juniors. The application deadline is Friday, February 26. For an application and more information, click here. Explore more summer career camps and options by visiting the Career Exploration Website summer opportunities page. Find us on Facebook. Stay informed on all the latest college and career information and be aware of upcoming events.

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: The Lancer Scholarship Application is available to be picked up in the College Career Center (Room 1123). This $2,500 scholarship is for Lake County high school seniors pursuing higher education at the College of Lake County this fall.  One student will be selected from Stevenson High School to be a recipient of this scholarship. The application deadline is Friday, March 11. Please see Mrs. McGurn in the College Career Center if you have any questions.

Attention seniors: The Local Scholarship Packet is now available in the College Career Center (Room 1123). There are 23 separate local scholarships available this year.  Please stop in to pick your copy up today. The deadline to return the scholarship applications is Thursday, March 10. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. McGurn.

“Think HBCU,” a college expo featuring historically black colleges and universities as well as many schools from Illinois, will be held at the College of Lake County’s Lakeshore campus in Waukegan from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. The expo will include campus tours as well as workshops with topics on scholarships and application assistance. The expo is hosted by CLC and TRIO Educational Talent Search. Click here for more information.

The College of Lake County Engineering Transfer Department will be holding several information sessions for prospective students and their parents interested in attending CLC for the first two years of a bachelor of science degree in engineering. Each session will last approximately 30 minutes, and will be followed by Q&A. The presentations will include information about the Engineering Transfer curriculum, the UIUC Engineering Pathways program (guaranteed admission to UIUC Engineering), the NSF Scholarship program, Engineering Club, and more. The dates and times are: Tuesday, February 23, 7 p.m. on the Grayslake campus, Thursday, March 3, 7 p.m. at the Waukegan campus, and Wednesday, March 9, 7 p.m. on the Southlake campus in Vernon Hills.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Illinois State Board of Education launches financial probe of CPS

State board rules against CTU effort to get back pay for teachers

Lake Villa District 41 teachers set strike date; could walk out Feb. 29

Police investigate apparent bomb threat at Elmwood Park High

Cary-Grove High students photographed changing in locker room: police

Police: Threat to Woodstock High a “joke” that went too far

Northern Illinois University plans to cut $30M to avoid deficit

Elmhurst College names its 14th president

Peoria seventh-grade teacher arrested for alleged sexual misconduct

College of DuPage to turn over records related to ex-president’s contract (+)

Rauner creates “children’s cabinet” for education, youth programs

Stomach flu breaks out at DePaul University’s Lincoln Park campus

Crystal Lake administrator moving from high school to elementary district

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Report: Feds letting for-profit colleges off hook because they’re “too big to fail”

States look to mend gaps in teacher screening systems

Should high school punishments go on college applications?

No transcript, no test scores, no problem: College uses video applications

How can schools recruit, retain great substitute teachers?

Where affordable housing is scarce, so are teachers

Oops: School emails “Hurt Feelings Report” that makes fun of whiners

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.