Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Orientation Nights for Incoming Freshman Families

Stevenson will hold its annual Eighth Grade Orientation Evenings starting next week. The evenings will be held on three dates: Tuesday, for students whose last names begin with the letters A-H; Thursday, January 21 (last names I-P); and Wednesday, January 27 (last names Q-Z). Parents and guardians who have a scheduling conflict with their scheduled evening can attend one of the other dates. The orientation program begins at 7 p.m. each evening in the Performing Arts Center. Beginning at 6 p.m. each night, parents and guardians can pick up important documents outside the PAC, and participate in tours of the school. Letters were mailed home to incoming freshmen and their families in late December. The letters included several required enrollment documents, which can be turned in at the orientation evenings. For more information, call 847-415-4500 or 4502.

Speech and Drama Team Wins Awards at B.G. Tourney

The speech and drama team came away with group and individual awards from Saturday’s tournament at Buffalo Grove High School. Ambika Singh took fifth place in Oratorical Declamation, while Serena Goldberg placed sixth in Extemporaneous Speaking and earned a finalist spot in Impromptu Speaking. The team placed second in the Small Teams Sweepstakes category.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Girls Basketball Team No. 10 in State

The girls basketball team remains at No. 10 in the latest Associated Press Class 4A state rankings. SHS, which is 14-3, returns to action Thursday night with a home contest against Warren at 7 p.m. in the Sports Center.

Boys Basketball to Play in MLK Tournament

The boys basketball team will play in Wheaton Warrenville South’s MLK Tournament this weekend. The Patriots will play Metea Valley in the opening round at 11 a.m. Saturday, then will play again at 5:30 win or lose. SHS will play at least one more game on Monday: at 12:30 p.m. if victorious in its opening game, or at 9:30 a.m. if it loses the opener. Click here for the tournament bracket and score updates.

Missouri State Football Promotes SHS Alum

Sean Coughlin (Class of 1997) has been promoted to co-offensive coordinator for the Missouri State University football program. Coughlin, who is entering his 11th season with the Bears, had served as offensive line coach, which he will continue to do. Over the last nine years, three of Coughlin’s linemen have reached the NFL.

Baseball Fundraiser at Stilettos Boutique

Stilettos Boutique, 394 W. Half Day Road, in Buffalo Grove is sponsoring a fundraiser for the baseball team on Wednesday, January 20 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On any purchase during that time, 20% will be taken off, with 10% going to the team and 10% to you. “Sips and snacks” will be served from 3-5 p.m. Stilettos also is one of the “grand slam” sponsors for the baseball team’s second annual Trivia Night, which will be held Friday, January 22. Visit www.d125.org/baseball for details.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Semester Exam Schedule

Today Thursday
8:05-9:35 Period 3 Period 8
9:45-11:15 Period 7 Period 6
11:25-12:55 Period 5 Make-Up Exams
1:00 Bus Pickup 11:25 Bus (1:00 Late Pickup)

Second-Semester Parking Stickers

Seniors who haven’t picked up their second semester stickers yet can do so Tuesday in parking lot D. Look for the security guard in the black truck beginning at 7:15 a.m.

Parking for Students at Prairie View Metra Station

For Stevenson students unable to park at school, Vernon Township is selling parking spaces at the Prairie View Metra train station for second semester. The cost is $145 for the second semester. A $30 monthly option also is available. To download a permit application that includes rates and rules, click here. For more information, contact the Vernon Township Office at 847-634-4600.

Return Overdue Books, Pay Fines to ILC

Please return all overdue library books and pay any overdue fines to the ILC before the end of the semester. Once second semester begins, no library materials may be checked out until books are returned and fines are paid.  

Textbook Return, Pick-Up for One-Semester Classes

Here is the textbook return schedule for those finishing a first-semester class, or for those picking up a textbook for a second-semester course:

Today 7:00-1:30 Room 1416
Thursday 7:00-1:30 Room 1416
Tuesday 7:00-3:30 Room 1416
Wednesday, January 20 7:00-2:00 Room 1416

Bringing a Guest to Winterfest?

If you’re bringing a guest to next month’s Winterfest Dance who isn’t a Stevenson student, you’ll need to fill out a special form before buying their ticket. You can get the form from the Superstore in the Wood Commons, or download it here. Early bird ticket sales for the Winterfest Dance will start February 1, so fill out your form now so you’ll be ready on the first.

Testing Center Hours, Procedures During Finals

During finals, the Testing Center hours will be 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. today, and 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday. Students must sign up for tests during final times. A test can be taken only during a free period. Before- and after-final times don’t require signing up. If a student is signed up to take a test during a re-scheduled final, the Testing Center needs a note or email from the teacher or counselor stating that it has been rescheduled.

Audition Packets Available for Winter Play

Audition packets for the Winter Production, Twelfth Night, are now available online at www.d125.org/audition. Scripts also are available for overnight checkout in the ILC. If you have questions regarding auditions, please contact C. Burrows in the Studio Theatre, Room 2204. Auditions will be held after school Wednesday, January 20.

Celebrate the new Jazzman’s East

The new Jazzman’s in the East Building will celebrate its grand opening starting at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. They’ll have daily specials all week. Stop by and take a look at what Jazzman’s has to offer!

CLUB NEWS

The Stevenson Styler will have its first meeting to begin planning the Spring/Summer edition on Wednesday, January 20 at 3:30 in Room 1612! We are looking for members interested in all areas of magazine production including writers, models, photographers, editors and more! New members are always welcome!

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: Please check Naviance each week for new scholarships. If you have any questions, please stop in the College Career Center for help.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

INTRAMURALS

Open Baseball begins Wednesday, January 20 in the Field House, and runs from 6:15-7:15 a.m. Open Baseball will meet every Wednesday through the end of February, with the exception of February 10, which is an Odyssey day.

Open Softball will be held on the following Monday mornings from 6:15-7:15 a.m. in the Field House: January 25, and February 1, 8 and 22.

ATHLETICS

There will be an informational meeting for the 2016-17 sophomore football team on Wednesday, January 20. Meet in Little Theater (Room 4200) at 7:30 a.m. If you cannot attend, contact Coach Jacobson at djacobson@d125.org or 847-415-4710.

The softball team is holding its first-ever Bowling Night fundraiser on Saturday, January 30 at Fairhaven Lanes in Mundelein. This is a 21-and-older event that runs from 2-5 p.m. In addition to bowling, there will be appetizers, raffle prizes, a silent auction, and awards for best-dressed bowling team. For more details, click here.

The baseball team is raising money by holding its second annual Trivia Night on Friday, January 22 at The Arboretum in Buffalo Grove. The event will feature tests of trivia knowledge, raffle items, plus a live and silent auction, along with a full buffet dinner and dessert. Anyone age 21 or older is welcome to attend the trivia night. Details are on the baseball web page.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Rauner says CPS shouldn’t expect money from Springfield

Lake County schools prepping for state mandate to reduce suspensions (+)

NLRB: Chicago school illegally fired teachers for union activity

Emanuel bringing back freshman orientation program he cut in first term

Hamilton, COD trustees seek dismissal of Breuder suit (+)

Task force recommends Northwestern start academic year in August

Barrington board discusses options for 50-year-old elementary school (+)

Homewood-Flossmoor High teacher arrested in “Star Wars” incident

EIU admissions director leaving to become VP at Delaware college

New U. of Chicago official to work with low-income, undocumented students

UI student newspaper reducing print production to twice a week

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

The real reasons behind the U.S. teacher shortage

Research calls into question reliability of student evaluations of teaching

What matters for student achievement: The Coleman report 50 years later

Alaska Supreme Court rejects challenge to state’s funding formula

Pennsylvania school boards group sues state over funding impasse

America’s oldest (and most adorable) teacher turns 102

###########################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.