Monday, January 4, 2016

College Financial Aid Night Wednesday

The College Career Center will hold its annual Financial Aid Night for junior and senior families at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Performing Arts Center. SHS college counselors will provide valuable information on obtaining financial aid for college, including an overview of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The event is free.

Odyssey Registration Deadline Wednesday

Wednesday is the deadline for students to register for their classes during Odyssey, the the two-day fine arts festival taking place February 9-10. Students can see the Odyssey course catalog, and get registration information, at www.d125.org/odyssey.

New Shanghai Circus Coming to SHS on Saturday

The New Shanghai Circus, considered China’s most celebrated acrobatic company, will bring its exotic, fast-paced show to Stevenson’s Performing Arts Center at 3 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $20 for adults, and $15 for students and children. To order tickets online, click here. To order by phone, call 847-415-4121. The event is sponsored by the Stevenson Foundation.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Saturday’s Varsity Results

Wrestling

Stevenson at Conant Quadrangular: The Patriots beat Cary-Grove, 50-21. Winners on the mat included Eric Carter at 132 (2-0), Ben Ponto at 145 (major decision, 18-1), Dylan Geick at 152 (7-6), Robert Pavlovics at 160 (1-0), Michael Kordek at 182 (pin, 1:20) and Nick Grujanac at 285 (pin, 3:58). Three others won by forfeit: Tommaso Frezza (106), Michael Karp (126) and Jared Bukowski (138). – Northwest Herald, Daily Herald

Boys Swim Team Wins Lake County Invitational

The boys swimming and diving team won the 10-team Lake County Invitational on December 19. The Patriots posted 301 points, ahead of runner-up Barrington’s 271. Nick Baginski won the 50 freestyle (21.96 seconds), and also swam on two victorious relays: the 200 free relay with Alex Kapecki, Topher Stensby and Andrew Shashin (1:29.29), and the 400 free relay with Shashin, Stensby and Daniel Ng (3:16.62). Ng also won the 200 individual medley (2:00.66). Baginski was second in the 100 butterfly (51.99), Stensby was runner-up in the 100 free (50.12), and Alan Fang touched second in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.50). Also finishing second was the 200 medley relay team of Kapecki, Fang, Ng and John Roh (1:41.35).

Cheerleaders Sweep Rolling Meadows Titles

All three levels of cheerleading won their division at the Rolling Meadows Invitational on December 19. The varsity won the Large Varsity division, the junior varsity captured the JV division, and the freshmen claimed the Frosh division.

Girls Basketball Finishes Second at D-C Tourney

The varsity girls basketball team finished second at the 33rd annual Charger Classic at Dundee-Crown High School during Winter Break, winning three of four games. The Patriots (12-2) beat Bartlett (51-41), Rockton Hononegah (51-37) and Buffalo Grove (32-30) before falling to New Trier, 58-42, in the championship game. New Trier (14-3) finished third in the state last year. Ashley Richardson and Jessica Burke were named to the all-tournament team. Richardson had a game-high 20 points and also added six rebounds in the title game. She also led the Pats with 19 points versus Bartlett and 14 against Hononegah. Burke had a team-best 13 points in the semifinal win over Buffalo Grove, the team’s 11th straight victory. Richardson scored a career-high 28 points as Stevenson rallied past Zion-Benton, 59-53, on December 18.

Boys Basketball Places Fourth at Hinsdale Central

The varsity boys basketball team split its four games at the Hinsdale Central Holiday Classic during the break, finishing fourth overall. SHS (8-4) beat Foreman (80-48) and Richards (72-41), then lost to Homewood-Flossmoor (55-51) and Maine South (48-46). Justin Smith earned first-team all-tournament honors after scoring 64 points and hauling in a tournament-best 45 rebounds in the Patriots’ four games. He had a team-high 17 points and 18 boards against Homewood-Flossmoor, and also led the squad with 20 points in its opening win over Foreman. Ryuji Aoki led the team in scoring twice in four games. He had 21 points versus Richards and 19 against Maine South. Smith scored a game-high 32 points in a 69-59 win over Prospect to start Winter Break.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

S-Factor on Friday, Save $2 on Tickets

Tickets are available for the Kiva Club’s annual S-Factor singing competition, which will be held at 7 p.m. Friday in the Performing Arts Center. Tickets are available online for $5 through the Online Superstore; they’ll be $7 Friday night. Come see 16 of your peers as they perform to earn the votes of four teacher-judges, and also the audience.

Stop by Peer Helpers During Lunch for Stress Relief

Stressed? Join the Peer Helpers in the Student Lounge, Room 1123-G, this week during lunch periods to de-stress. Make a stress ball, pop bubble wrap, color, play games, meet new people and enjoy a stress free environment.  

Struggling in Class? Stop by an ILC for Academic Help

If you’re struggling academically, the school has a number of services available to help. Click here to learn more about academic assistance available in the Information and Learning Centers, including peer tutoring, Targeted Tutoring and the Homework Center.

Audition Packets Available for Winter Play

Audition packets for the Winter Production, Twelfth Night, are now available online at www.d125.org/audition. Scripts also are available for overnight checkout in the ILC. If you have questions regarding auditions, please contact C. Burrows in the Studio Theatre, Room 2204.

P.E. Leadership Applications Due Before Finals

P.E. Leadership Applications and Alternative P.E. Leadership Applications must be turned in before finals. To download an application or for more information, click here.

CLUB NEWS

Anime Club meets today. Join us at 3:30 in Room 1414 to relax, watch movies, and enjoy snacks! Everyone is welcome!

ATHLETICS

The baseball team is raising money by holding its second annual Trivia Night on Friday, January 22 at The Arboretum in Buffalo Grove. The event will feature tests of trivia knowledge, raffle items, plus a live and silent auction, along with a full buffet dinner and dessert. Anyone age 21 or older is welcome to attend the trivia night. Details are on the baseball web page.

The softball team is holding its first-ever Bowling Night fundraiser on Saturday, January 30 at Fairhaven Lanes in Mundelein. This is a 21-and-older event that runs from 2-5 p.m. In addition to bowling, there will be appetizers, raffle prizes, a silent auction, and awards for best-dressed bowling team. For more details, click here.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: Please check Naviance each week for new scholarships. If you have any questions, please stop in the College Career Center for help.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Naperville teacher accused of sexually abusing teen

University of Chicago made $70M on sale of Hyde Park properties

CPS watchdog: Families lied on applications to get into prestige schools

Antioch District 34 dismisses principal who ran school with “fear” (+)

Chicago seeks more charter schools

CPS 2016-17 calendar: Winter Break won’t start until Christmas Eve

Amid censorship flap, Steinmetz to abandon printed school newspaper

Waukegan High School celebrates 100 years of junior ROTC program (+)

Computer scientists, mathematicians stunned by Chicago prof’s new proof

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Feds warn of school aid cuts if standardized test opt-outs continue

In pushing for education reform, business gets schooled

Six education stories to watch in 2016

New FAFSA rules to eliminate frustrating financial aid problem

Effort to recall Arizona state superintendent fails

At the nation’s 10th-largest school district, a violent threat every other day

Feds quietly close long-running probe of Milwaukee voucher program

Seattle school filled with refugees makes a comeback

The Missouri superintendent who turned her school district around

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.