Friday, December 18, 2015

Freshman Wins Digital Book Contest

Freshman Abhilash Raghuram was the winner of the Information and Learning Center’s 10,000th Digital Book Checkout contest. He was presented with a new Kindle by Head Librarian Lisa Dettling.

Statesman Releases New Edition

The latest edition of the student newspaper, the Statesman, was released this week. You can check out some of the articles at the paper’s website, www.statesmanshs.org.

No Digest During Winter Break

The Daily Digest will not be published during Winter Break. The Digest will return when classes resume Monday, January 4.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Boys Swimming and Diving

Stevenson 117.5, Lake Forest 68.5: The visiting Patriots earned their first victory over the Scouts in three years, capturing six individual races and two relays. Nick Baginski won the 100 butterfly (53.89) and also swam on the victorious 200 medley relay (1:41.79) and 200 free relay (1:30.89). His teammates on the 200 medley relay were Daniel Ng, Joseph Song and Andrew Shashin, and his partners in the 200 free relay were Karl Wadowski, Maxim Ryaguzov and Alex Kapecki. Ng won the 200 individual medley (2:02.88), Wadowski claimed the 200 free (1:51.15) and Kapecki captured the 100 free (50.11). Also earning wins for SHS were John Roh in the 100 backstroke (57.37) and Dan Lertsinsongserm in the 100 breaststroke (1:02.40). Several Pats placed second: Baginski (50 free, 22.05), Wadowski (100 free, 50.89), Song (100 back, 1:00.93), Ng (100 breast, 1:02.89), Andrew Lefebvre (200 free, 1:51.29 and 500 free, 5:01.18), Ryan Ginsberg (100 back, 1:12.97), the 200 medley relay (Roh, Ryaguzov, Alan Fang, Matthew Han, 1:45.08), and the 400 free relay (Wadowski, Kapecki, Ng and Topher Stensby, 3:22.41). – Official Results

Boys Bowling

Lake Zurich 3,100, Stevenson 2,902: Despite a match-best 680 series from Zach Singer, the Patriots came out on the losing end at Brunswick Zone in Deer Park. Singer also had the team’s high game of the day, a 246. Ted Tapas rolled a 654 series, with a high game of 212. Eddie Mendrala shot a 635 (222), Josh Singer added a 569 (215) and Richy Zenner had a 454 (171).

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

ILC, QLC, Testing Center Closing Early Today

The Testing Center will close at 3:30 today. If you need to schedule a time for a test, be aware of this schedule change. Also, both levels of the ILC will close at 3:30 today, and the QLC will close at 4.

Bright Lights Candle Sale Ends Today

Students in the Bright Lights Candle Company are selling candles today in Room 6032. You can buy a candle for as little as four dollars. Someone will be available all day to take your order.

S-Factor Tickets Available Online

Tickets are available for the Kiva Club’s annual S-Factor singing competition, which will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, January 8 in the Performing Arts Center. Tickets are available online for $5 through the Online Superstore; they’ll be $7 on the night of the show. Come see 16 of your peers as they perform to earn the votes of four teacher-judges, and also the audience.

SHS Needs Your Help With a 30-Second Survey

In 2010, Stevenson became the first public high school in the nation to earn LEED certification at the Gold level. This year, SHS is in the midst of the LEED re-certification process. As part of the process, the school is required to conduct a survey to determine how students get to school during a typical week. Please take 30 seconds to complete this survey, which only has five questions. If you include your name, you will be entered into a drawing to win a $5 Sodexo gift card.

Audition Packets Available for Winter Play

Audition packets for the Winter Production, Twelfth Night, are now available online at www.d125.org/audition. Scripts also are available for overnight checkout in the ILC. If you have questions regarding auditions, please contact C. Burrows in the Studio Theatre, Room 2204.

P.E. Leadership Applications Due Before Finals

P.E. Leadership Applications and Alternative P.E. Leadership Applications must be turned in before finals. To download an application or for more information, click here.

ATHLETICS

The baseball team is raising money by holding its second annual Trivia Night on Friday, January 22 at The Arboretum in Buffalo Grove. The event will feature tests of trivia knowledge, raffle items, plus a live and silent auction, along with a full buffet dinner and dessert. Anyone age 21 or older is welcome to attend the trivia night. Details are on the baseball web page.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: Please check Naviance each week for new scholarships. If you have any questions, please stop in the College Career Center for help.

CAREER EXPLORATION

If you are interested in doing a Career Shadow, please note that at this time, we will not be accepting any new career shadow applications. We will begin accepting applications again after the new year. Please visit the Career Exploration web page or follow us on Facebook (SHSCollegeCareerCenter) for any announcements. If you have a specific inquiry, you may also stop by the CCC and ask for Mrs. Willock or send an email directly to dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

ISBE: Nearly half of high school grads in community college need remediation

Waukegan District 60 picks CPS administrator as new superintendent

Three College of DuPage trustees boycott meeting (+)

Michigan administrator named new New McHenry County College president

Former St. Mary teacher dies after fire in garage (+)

St. Charles board will decide in January whether to close schools

Suspended Wheaton College professor seeking to reconcile with leaders

Charter firm suspected of cheating federal grant program

Mundelein District 75 mulls mobile classrooms for Washington school (+)

CPS reinstates DuSable librarian with “anonymous gift”

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Socioeconomic divide on college campuses growing wider, fast

Why school evacuations and threats are on the rise

Four finalists named for National Superintendent of the Year

Education comes out on top in federal spending bill

Congress passes extension for student loan program

Furor over Arabic assignment leads Virginia school district to close

Florida Atlantic U. moves to fire Sandy Hook denier

Handling of Los Angeles schools shutdown offers a civics lesson

Judge rules against Catholic school in gay-hiring retraction

Can U.S. universities thrive in the Persian Gulf? These scholars say yes

##################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.