Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Six More Students Earn Perfect ACT Scores

The list of perfect ACT scores at Stevenson continues to grow. Six students earned a 36 on the college-entrance exam in October: senior Cerie Ock, juniors Garrett Pollack, Eric Qian and Kevin You, and sophomores Deepak Moparthi and Conrad Oberhaus. This latest round of student achievement brings to 22 the number of current students who have recorded a perfect ACT score.

Statesman Honored in Columbia Contest

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, earned Silver Medalist status in the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s 32nd annual newspaper competition and critique. The Statesman and its staff were honored for the six issues it produced in the 2014-15 school year. This year’s contest attracted 11,110 entries produced by students at colleges, universities and secondary schools throughout the United States.

Student’s Artwork Selected for Bank’s 2016 Calendar

American Enterprise Bank has selected a piece of artwork by sophomore Kathryn Sloka to be part of its 2016 calendar. Her hand-colored, black and white photograph of flowers shot during a Photography 1 field trip to the Botanic Gardens last fall will be the featured image for March 2016. Sloka is currently a student in Photography 2 class. Tim Myers has been her teacher in each Photography class.

Freshman-Sophomore Play Cast Announced

The cast was announced Tuesday night for the freshman-sophomore play, Oscar Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest.” Students chosen for the cast include Sam Litwin, A.J. DePew, Hayley Brenner, Isabel Koleno, Hannah Lichtenstein, Oliver Chisman, Pia Russo, Kyle Soonthornsima, Angela Spilotro, Sneha Thirumurugan, Nikolette Olson and Elyse Baden. The student directors will be Hanako Walrath, Jaclyn Rosenberg and Brigette Lefevbre. The play will be performed in February.

Hoops for Heroes T-Shirts on Sale

Camouflage T-shirts are on sale for the eighth annual Hoops for Heroes military appreciation night, which takes place during the varsity basketball games on Saturday, December 12. The girls will play Lake Forest at 5:30 p.m., followed by the boys against Mundelein at 7 p.m. Hoops for Heroes T-shirts can be ordered online through the Online Superstore until Monday. Hoops for Heroes is sponsored by Students Helping Soldiers and the SHS basketball teams.

No Digest Thursday or Friday

The Daily Digest will not be published Thursday or Friday due to the Thanksgiving break. The Digest will resume on Monday.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Tuesday’s Varsity Results

Girls Basketball

Stevenson 43, Wheaton Warrenville South 20: At the Schaumburg Tournament, Kiana Cencula led the Patriots (2-2) with 14 points and Jessica Burke added 10. Ashley Richardson scored seven points. – Daily Herald

Boys Basketball

Hinsdale South 66, Stevenson 47: Eric Zalewski scored nine points to lead the Patriots (1-1) at the Lyons Township Tournament. Jordan Newman, Ryuji Aoki and Justin Smith each tallied eight points. Smith also had nine rebounds. Hinsdale South improved to 2-0. – Daily Herald (+)

Marchese Receives Honorable Mention All-State Honor

Senior wide receiver Henry Marchese earned honorable mention honors on the 2015 Illinois High School Football Coaches Association Class 8A All-State Team.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Sign Up for the Operation Snowball Retreat

Registration for Operation Snowball is underway in the Student Activities Office, the school store, and online. The weekend retreat will take place December 4-6. Operation Snowball is a weekend of making new friends, having new experiences, relieving stress, taking healthy risks, understanding yourself and others, communicating with peers and adults, singing, eating, dancing, and having fun. Please email or see Mr. Mazzuca in 7080 or Mr. Hutchins in 6028 for further information.

Testing Center Closing at 2:30 Today

The Testing Center will close when school ends at 2:30 today.

Visiting Artist of the Month Presentation Monday

Tim Lowly, the November Visiting Artist of the Month, will give presentations to students during first and third periods on Monday. He will talk by the Rotunda Gallery on the first floor of the West Building, by the 1400 and 1600 hallways.

Struggling in Class? Stop by an ILC for Academic Help

If you’re struggling academically, the school has a number of services available to help. Click here to learn more about academic assistance available in the Information and Learning Centers, including peer tutoring, Targeted Tutoring and the Homework Center.

Homework Center Word of the Day Winner

Vivian Lastick is this week’s Homework Center Word of the Day winner. She will receive a Stevenson sweatshirt. Thank you to all who participated.

Best Buddies Fundraiser at Potbelly

Best Buddies is holding a fundraiser at the Lincolnshire Potbelly, 275 Parkway Drive, Suite 317, from 4-9 p.m. Monday. Make a purchase during that timeframe, and 25% of the proceeds will go to Best Buddies.

Missing Something? Here’s Lost and Found Information

If you’re missing a gym bag, swim bag, lunch bag or any other item, stop by the lost and found area in Room 2416 (West) or Room 5024 (East), or the attendance office in the lobby by the Field House. Please consider marking your name on your items so they can be returned promptly if found. You can also look on the Lost and Found web page to see what items have been turned into Room 2400.

CLUB NEWS

Peer Helpers would like you to join us in its mission to re-define beauty. Beauty is more than what you see. Help us increase self-confidence, reduce eating disorders and make SHS a safe and healthy place for all students. Look for clues on the bathrooms mirrors and on signs around the school.  Visit the student lounge for more information. #RedefineBeautiful

INTRAMURALS

The Ski and Snowboard Club informational meeting for students and parents will be held Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall (Room 4100). This meeting is mandatory for parents of any students looking to join the club. For more information on Ski and Snowboard Club, visit www.d125.org/ski or stop by the PREP Office in Room 3040.

Don’t forget that IM Basketball team packets are due next week! If your team has not picked up a packet, please do so ASAP in Room 3040.

ATHLETICS

Polar Bear Winter Conditioning will be meeting next week on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:30 p.m. outside of the Cardio Room. Any athletes interested in joining should show up or contact Coach LeVanti with any questions or concerns.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: Please check Naviance each week for new scholarships. If you have any questions, please stop in the College Career Center for help.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

State moving closer to scrapping ACT for juniors in favor of SAT (+)

Aptakisic-Tripp District 102 selects next superintendent

Consolidation task force enters home stretch; anti-union concerns raised

Metea Valley student charged over threat directed at school

Eastern Illinois University faculty issue no-confidence vote in provost

Ex-Highland Park teacher gets four years in prison for child porn

For advocates, school sales tax a lifesaver

Wheeling board strikes down plan for 84-foot cell tower at school (+)

CPS sends parents advice on police-shooting video

Oak Brook shopping mall to be home to $40K-per-year private school

Northern Illinois University removes Bibles from campus hotel

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Analysis: High school teachers earn 71% of what non-teachers make

U.S. falls behind other nations in global knowledge economy, report says

What happens when students create their own curriculum?

Feds: IEPs should align with grade-level standards

To attract talent, more companies sending employees to school

Family of Muslim teen seeks $15M in Texas clock incident

The advanced Google searches every student should know

Does Common Core hurt introverted students?

One of San Francisco’s toughest schools transformed by meditation

CNN’s “The Hunting Ground” comes under scrutiny for false claims

College athletic programs turning to virtual reality for recruiting

The 10 U.S. colleges with the most grads who have top secret clearance

#####################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.