Monday, November 16, 2015

World Languages Faculty to Lead EBR Sessions

Several members of the World Languages Division will discuss Stevenson’s grading system of evidence-based reporting (EBR) at the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages’ annual conference in San Diego this weekend.

Spanish teachers Amanda Cummings and Michael Martinez, plus Director of World Languages Justin Fisk and Director of Research, Assessment and Evaluation Anthony Reibel, will discuss “Standards-Based Grading: Transforming Grading Practices in a WL Classroom” on Friday morning. Fisk and Reibel taught Spanish at Stevenson before their promotions. They will explain how the World Languages curriculum at Stevenson incorporates evidence-based reporting with the new World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages. Later Friday, Chinese teachers Michelle Cheng and Yi Le, along with Fisk and Reibel, will talk about how EBR has transformed student learning in their session, “Implementing Standards-Based Grading in a WL Classroom.”

On Saturday, Spanish teachers Samuel Figueroa, Patrick Grady and Christina Suarez will share their experience in implementing EBR in the classroom during “Moving to Standards-Based Grading: Our Blueprint from Experience.” Fisk will join them to discuss how their thinking has evolved in assessments, feedback and student engagement.

Fisk also will be giving a presentation about the World Languages Division’s work with evidence-based reporting and literacy to the ACTFL Assembly of Delegates on Thursday.

The World Languages Division’s use of EBR also was highlighted in the October/November issue of The Language Educator magazine (article not available online).

Sophomore Selected for Northwestern Medical Program

Stevenson will have a sizable presence in the Northwestern Medicine Discovery Program for the next two years. Sophomore Justin Lee has been chosen for the healthcare career program, joining juniors Adit Ghosh, Christie Kang, Jordan Gregg and Gillian Rubenstein (their selection was noted in the Daily Digest last Thursday). Only 39 students from the Chicago area were picked for the program.

New Edition, Format for Student Newspaper

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, published its latest edition on Friday. The newspaper has moved to a new print format, which you can check out here. In addition to its print version, the Statesman’s website at statesmanhs.org has some exclusive content.

Flag Football Championship Highlights From SBN

The Stevenson Flag Football League held its championships on Sunday, and the Stevenson Broadcast Network was there. You can check out video highlights here.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Saturday’s Varsity Results

Girls Swimming and Diving

Stevenson at IHSA Barrington Sectional: SHS finished a close second to Barrington, 280-264, winning three events and qualifying eight Patriots for this weekend’s state meet at New Trier. Irune Andres and Rachel Song won individual titles. Andres captured the 200 individual medley (2:06.87) and Song claimed the 100 butterfly (57.06). Song also swam on all three state-qualifying relays, including the first-place 200 medley relay with Ashley Carollo, Danielle Fang and Casey Kirby (1:47.02). Kirby set a school-record time while finishing second in the 100 backstroke (56.50), and also was runner-up in the 100 freestyle (52.45). Iza Pelka placed second in the 200 free (1:52.65) and third in the 100 free (52.48). Jessica Lenhart was second in the 100 fly (58.00). Kathy Xiang earned a bid in diving with her fourth-place effort (350.30). Andres also made state by taking third in the 500 free (5:03.64). The other two state-bound relays were the second-place 400 free, which featured Song, Kirby, Pelka and Andres (3:30.84), and the 200 free, which was third behind Carollo, Song, Pelka and Andres (1:38.74). Four Pats will swim in four events: Andres, Kirby, Pelka and Song. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Fencing

Stevenson hosted SHS Invitational: The Patriots won three individual events in their season-opening tournament in the Field House. Zimo Zhu (men’s epee), Nikita Jhangiani (women’s epee) and Lisa Rosov (women’s saber) captured their divisions. Rachel Aranyi and Geeta Jhangiani tied for third in women’s epee, and Nicole Strezewski tied for third in women’s foil. Other top-10 finishers included: Robin Cheifetz (sixth, women’s epee), Angelica Lopez (sixth, women’s foil), Sophia Siegel (seventh, women’s saber), Marko Koruna (ninth, men’s epee), Jina Yu (ninth, women’s epee), Justin Lee (10th, men’s epee) and Aly Park (10th, women’s foil). – Official Results

Boys Ice Hockey

York 6, Stevenson 2: At Twin Rinks, Seth Cohen had a goal and an assist for the Patriots. Jackson Leptich scored the other goal. Daniel Levey also registered an assist. Goalie Josh Pike stopped 29 shots.

Three Named to All-NSC Girls Volleyball Team

Seniors Isabella Milejczyk and Corissa Kurth, and junior Jori Radtke, have been named to the All-North Suburban Conference Girls Volleyball Team. Seniors Jordyn Taborek and Morgan Berland were honorable mention selections.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

All Sophomores Meet With Their Counselor Today

Sophomores: There is a mandatory meeting with your counselor during the activity period today. You must attend this meeting even if you are part of a club that is meeting during the activity period. Here are the room locations for today’s meetings:

Counselor Room Counselor Room
Grove Studio Theater (2204) Perkins 2500-2504
Jones 2104 Roznowski Recital Hall (4100)
Kellogg 7044-7046 Scanio 8046-8048
Kelly West Auditorium (2206) Seeger 6048-6050
Kulla West Auditorium (2206) Sullivan 7096
Martin 7014 Timm Little Theater (4200)
Moran Choir Room (2202) Vazquez 2104

Free Breakfast for Freshmen Tuesday Morning

All freshmen are invited to stop by Room 2104 before school Tuesday morning for a free breakfast. In addition to free food, there also will be live music. Make sure you bring your ID!

Bail a Teacher Out of “Jail” for Best Buddies

Several teachers are going to jail on Wednesday, and only you can get them out. It’s all part of the Best Buddies “Jail and Bail” fundraiser during the lunch periods in the East and West cafeteria areas. For a small donation, you can set a teacher free. All donations will go to Best Buddies of Illinois.

FMP Mentor Information Meetings on Friday

Sophomores and juniors with an interest in mentoring incoming freshmen are eligible to apply to be in the Freshman Mentor Program, and are encouraged to go to the informational meeting on Friday. Meetings will occur every half lunch period in the Recital Hall (4A, 4B, 5A, 5B, 6A, 6B).

Student Activities Plans Service-Learning Trip to Alaska

The Student Activities Division is sponsoring a service-learning trip for students to Juneau, Alaska from July 20-27. Students will have the opportunity to learn about a new culture while working with the Tlingit Native American tribe. There also will be daily sightseeing and other activities. Visit http://shsinalaska.wikispaces.com for the detailed itinerary. Interested students and their parents must attend an informational meeting from 6-7 p.m. Thursday in the West Auditorium (Room 2206). The meeting is mandatory.

Free Breakfast for Seniors on Thursday

There will be a free breakfast for all seniors from 9:15-10:30 a.m. Thursday, a late arrival day, in Room 2104. Bring your ID, and you’ll also have a chance to vote for senior shirts.

Sign Up for the Operation Snowball Retreat

Registration for Operation Snowball is underway in the Student Activities Office, the school store, and online. The weekend retreat will take place December 4-6. Operation Snowball is a weekend of making new friends, having new experiences, relieving stress, taking healthy risks, understanding yourself and others, communicating with peers and adults, singing, eating, dancing, and having fun. Please email or see Mr. Mazzuca in 7080 or Mr. Hutchins in 6028 for further information.

PPA Bake Sale Wednesday Afternoon

Don’t miss the PPA Bake Sale Wednesday afternoon in the Wood and Glass Commons!  Pies, donuts, Puppy Chow and more. All items are $1.

CLUB NEWS

The next HOSA meeting is Wednesday after school in Room 6048. Join us as we learn more about health science competitions.

Join the Indian Student Association for its Diwali 2015 celebration Friday from 3:45-7:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. Tickets are only $3. Join the ISA for a day filled with food, performances, culture and fun. Dress up in Indian clothes all day!

ATHLETICS

Student-athletes who participated in fall sports, and their parents or guardians, are invited to the annual Fall Sports Awards Night at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Sports Center. The first-ever ESPPA Awards will be given at the event.

All girls interested in offseason training should attend SSC informational meetings on Tuesday. There are two times available: 7:15 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Both meetings are in the West Faculty Dining Room, by the Sports Center.

INTRAMURALS

The Ski and Snowboard Club informational meeting for students and parents will be held Tuesday, December 1 at 6:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall (Room 4100). This meeting is mandatory for parents of any students looking to join the club. For more information on Ski and Snowboard Club, visit www.d125.org/ski or stop by the PREP Office in Room 3040.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: Please check Naviance each week for new scholarships. If you have any questions, please stop in the College Career Center for help.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Will medical marijuana legalization lead to increase in teen substance abuse? (+)

Illinois students of for-profit schools to get $3M in debt relief under settlement

Byrd-Bennett entitled to $140K in public pensions; cost CPS $900K

Police monitoring Glen Ellyn schools following non-credible bomb threat

French school in Chicago paying tribute to victims of Paris terror attacks

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Foreign enrollment at U.S. colleges sets a record

Amid student protests, some see erosion of free speech

University of Missouri enlists former protester as interim president

Free community college movement gains momentum

Prosecutors weigh teenage sexting: Folly or felony?

Ambitious fundraising campaigns by public universities signal new trend

New era nears for No Child Left Behind

More people with autism are getting training for technology jobs

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.