Monday, October 26, 2015

Girls Tennis Team Second in State

The girls tennis team finished second in the state for the second straight year, and the doubles team of Kate Harvey and Vinaya Rao also placed second. Also, the football team qualified for the state playoffs for the 27th consecutive year, and both cross country teams earned sectional berths. Read about it all in the Patriot Sports section.

2013 Alumnus Dies in Car Accident

Brett Lerner, a 2013 Stevenson alumnus, died in a two-car accident Friday evening near Fisher, Illinois, north of Champaign. He was en route to cover a high school football game for WCIA-TV in Champaign, according to this Daily Herald report (+). Lerner, 21, was a junior at the University of Illinois, majoring in broadcast journalism. His name was well-known at campus, as he wrote for the Daily Illini student newspaper, and was co-host of a sports talk show on the student radio station, WPGU 107.1 A moment of silence was held before the Illini football homecoming game Saturday, and his picture was displayed on the video board. During his time at SHS, Lerner was a four-year member of the boys volleyball team, and also worked with the student radio station, WAES 88.1 FM.

The synagogue service will be held at 1 p.m. today at Temple Chai, 1670 Checker Road, in Long Grove. Interment will take place at Shalom Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Orphans of the Storm. For information and to leave tributes and condolences, go to www.shalom2.com or contact Shalom Memorial Funeral Home, 847-255-3520. Click here for his obituary.

Miss Saigon” Ticket Sales Underway

Tickets for Miss Saigon, the 2015-16 school musical, are available online through the Patriot Superstore. The cost is $10. All seats are reserved. Performances are scheduled for Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m., November 13-14, and 2 p.m. on Sunday, November 15, in the Performing Arts Center. For more information regarding ticket sales, contact Sally Miller at 847-415-4126 or smiller@d125.org.

Site Visitors Include Schools from Southeast, Canada

Representatives of five schools in four states, plus Ontario, Canada, will be coming to campus Tuesday for the school’s monthly site visit day for educators. The schools sending visitors are Fulton County Schools’ Central Learning Community in Sandy Springs, Georgia; Park Hill South High School in Riverside, Missouri; Martin Luther King Academic Magnet High School in Nashville, Tennessee; Orangeville District Secondary School in Orangeville, Ontario; and Trinity High School in River Forest, Illinois.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Saturday’s Varsity Results

Girls Tennis

Stevenson at IHSA State Tournament: The Patriots finished second in the state, behind Hinsdale Central, which won its third consecutive title. SHS was led by the doubles team of sophomore Kate Harvey and senior Vinaya Rao, which followed up their state championship effort in 2014 by finishing second this fall. After winning their first four matches in straight sets on Thursday and Friday, Rao and Harvey survived three-set challenges in the quarterfinals and semifinals to reach the title contest. They held off New Trier’s Michelle Capone and Catherine MacKinnon in the quarters, 6-2, 7-6 (2), 7-5, then dispatched Danielle Burich and Erika Oku of Hinsdale Central, 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-3 in the semis. Harvey and Rao faced the other Hinsdale Central tandem, Sandra Keta and Stephanie Dolehide, for the championship, falling 7-6 (7-3), 1-6, 7-5. During their two years together, Rao and Harvey only lost four matches. Rao concluded her prep career with four state tournament appearances. All four of Stevenson’s entries at state posted winning records during the tournament. Zoe Taylor won four of her six singles matches, and had a 5-2 lead in her final match before being sidelined by injury. The Pats’ other singles entry, Dhwani Kumar, won three of five matches. In doubles, Elizabeth Ferdman and Alexandra Zoubareva also captured three of five matches. In the team standings, Hinsdale Central had 50 points, followed by Stevenson (30) and New Trier (27). This was the third top-three finish for coach Tom Stanhope’s team in the past five years. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Boys Cross Country

Stevenson at IHSA Class 3AA Lake Forest Regional: The Patriots finished second to Highland Park, 56-70, advancing to Saturday’s Schaumburg Sectional, and had four runners in the top 20. Jared Borowsky led SHS with a second-place finish in 15:01, while Brett Lucas was sixth in 15:28. Nikita Smyrnov was 18th (16:03) and Jacob Sparreo finished 20th (16:07). Paul Udoni was 24th (16:13), Adam Butler 28th (16:23) and Caleb Oh 38th (16:49). – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Girls Cross Country

Stevenson at IHSA Class 3A Lake Forest Regional: Isabelle Sparreo won the regional championship, leading the Patriots to second place overall and a berth in Saturday’s Schaumburg Sectional. Sparreo covered the 3-mile course at Lake Forest’s West Campus in 17:05, 29 seconds ahead of the runner-up from Libertyville. Jessica Philipp was sixth (17:50), and three others posted top-15 finishes: Natalie Sparreo (ninth, 18:40), Gabriela Jagielo (10th, 18:57) and Shea Kirby (14th, 19:08). Kendall Roberts was 18th (19:19) and Lauren Appell placed 22nd (19:42). In the team standings, Stevenson posted 40 points, 10 behind champion Lake Forest. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Boys Soccer

Stevenson at IHSA Class 3A Highland Park Regional: For the second straight year, the Patriots (9-8-3) saw their season end with a close loss to Highland Park in the regional championship game. The 15th-seeded Giants (7-10-5) edged the No. 10 Patriots, 2-1. Last year, Highland Park beat Stevenson, 2-0 in two overtimes, for the Barrington Regional title. On Saturday, Matt Randall scored his first goal of the season, tying the game at 1-1 in the 65th minute. The Giants scored the winning goal 10 minutes later on a penalty kick. SHS had a goal disallowed in the second half, and also had a penalty kick stopped by the Highland Park goalkeeper. – Daily Herald (+)

Friday Varsity Results

Football

Stevenson 55, Mundelein 21: Tyler Vincent had one of the greatest performances ever by a Patriot running back … and he did it all in the first half. The senior ran for six touchdowns, and gained a total of 284 yards on only eight carries. His previous best was three TDs in a game. The school record for most yards rushing in a game is 335, set in 1991 by Joel Dant on 20 carries. Vincent scored on runs of 14, 55, 66, 68, 47 and 20 yards as the visiting Patriots (6-3, 4-2) built a 48-14 halftime lead. Vincent, who sat out the entire second half because of the lopsided score, reached the end zone the first three times he touched the ball. His first TD was set up by a Connor Santini fumble recovery; another came after an interception by Mike Maskalunas, who had two picks on the night. Ryan Magee had a third interception for the Pats. The victory ended Mundelein’s hopes for its first playoff bid since 2004. The Mustangs finished their season 4-5 overall and 1-5 in the NSC Lake. SHS, meanwhile, has won three games in a row and will play host to Conant in the first round of the Class 8A playoffs on Friday. – Pioneer Press, Daily Herald (+)

Boys Ice Hockey

Providence Catholic 7, Stevenson 5: In Orland Park, Jackson Leptich scored two goals and had three assists, and Jordan Marcelletti also scored twice with one assist. Jason Roseman had the other goal, and an assist. Other assists came from Daniel Levey, Jacob Saddler and Tim Fogliatti. Goalie Nick Cimarusti stopped 24 shots.

SHS to Play Host to Conant in Class 8A Football Playoffs

Stevenson will welcome Conant to campus for a first-round matchup in the IHSA Class 8A football playoffs at 7:30 p.m. Friday. Both schools are 6-3. SHS is the No. 16 seed in Class 8A, while the Cougars are No. 17. The two schools have meet in the playoffs once before: Stevenson edged Conant, 9-7, in the Class 8A quarterfinals in 2002. This is the 27th consecutive year the Patriots have qualified for the state playoffs, the second-longest streak in Illinois. Mt. Carmel has 30 consecutive playoff appearances. Admission to Friday night’s game will be $5; there will be no advance ticket sales. For those unable to attend, the game will be streamed live by the Stevenson Broadcast Network at www.highschoolcube.com/schools/sbn, and also will air on the school’s student radio station, WAES 88.1 FM. The game also will be Comcast’s CN100 Game of the Week, with replays at noon and 4 p.m. Saturday on Comcast cable channel 100.  Class 8A pairings

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

S-Factor Auditions Coming in November

Auditions for Stevenson’s only singing competition, S-Factor, are November 16-17 and 19-20. Singers and hosts can sign up for auditions at http://goo.gl/forms/eCxjqlWZx1.

Yearbook Re-Take Days Wednesday and Friday

Yearbook re-takes for freshmen, sophomores and juniors (plus SHS faculty and staff) will be held Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. Seniors who want to have their yearbook portrait re-taken must contact Visual Image Photography at www.vipis.com or call 800-577-9570.

Halloween Costumes: What Not to Wear

Students and staff can wear Halloween costumes to school on Friday. Because we want this to be a fun and safe experience for everyone, we ask that anyone wearing a Halloween costume adhere to a few long-standing school rules. These rules include no face coverings such as masks, disguising makeup, or sunglasses; no double-meaning suggestive phrases on clothing or anywhere on the person; and no inappropriate props such as look-alike weapons. The rules are in effect not only during the school day but also during any after-school activity or event on campus on Halloween.

Visiting Artist of the Month Presentation on Friday

The Visiting Artist of the Month for October, Dianne Kittle, will be here Friday to give a presentation during periods 6 and 7. She will be speaking at the Visiting Artist Gallery, located in the West Building by the 1400 hallway.

ATHLETICS

The girls bowling informational meeting has been moved to 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, November 4 in Room 2002. If you cannot attend, contact Coach Johnson at rjohnson@d125.org.

Boys bowling and boys and girls fencing begin today. Bowlers will take the shuttle at 3:30 p.m. from the Field House to their practice facility, Lakeside Lanes, in Mundelein. The bus will return to the forum entrance at the end of practice. Fencing will be handing out equipment in the southwest equipment closet of the Field House on the first two days of practice. Monday’s schedule is: A-D 3:45 p.m.; E-G 4:20 p.m.; H-J 5 p.m.; and K-M 5:40 p.m. Tuesday’s schedule: N-P 3:45 p.m.; Q-S 4:20 p.m.; T-W 5 p.m. and X-Z 5:40 p.m.

Anyone interested in trying out for boys basketball should plan on attending an informational meeting. The freshman and sophomore teams will have meetings Wednesday. Sophomores will meet from 3:35-4 p.m. in Room 2900. Freshmen will meet in Room 8048 from 3:45-4 p.m. The varsity meeting will be held from 7:30-8 a.m. Monday, November 2 in Room 6070. If you are unable to make the meetings, contact the appropriate coach: Coach Ambrose (varsity) at pambrose@d125.org; Coach Hess (sophomore) at dahess@d125.org; and Coach Gimre (freshman) at kgimre@d125.org.

There will be an informational meeting for girls basketball Wednesday at 3:45 p.m. in the Little Theater (Room 4200).  If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Graham at agraham@d125.org.

There will be an informational meeting for boys swimming and diving after school Wednesday, November 4 in the pool balcony. Come and meet the new head coach, Mr. Lillydahl, as he shares information on signups, tryouts, athletic forms, and team practices for this year.

INTRAMURALS

Open Field Softball ends this week. All softball players are welcome to come to the JV softball field Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:45.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention seniors: Got a question about your college application? Trying to figure out how to make the Common App work for you? Why not drop by the College/Career Center anytime between 7:30 and 8:15 tomorrow? The CCC will host Drop-In Days for seniors every second day of the week this month. Join us if you have a quick college question.

Attention juniors and seniors, the following colleges are coming this week to visit Stevenson: Union College, Pitzer College, University College Dublin, College of Lake College, Elmhurst College, Sewanee: The University of the South, Truman State University, Albion College, Carthage College, Rockford University, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, University of South Carolina, Macalester College, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Coe College, University of Colorado, College of the Holy Cross, Trinity College, Kettering University, Simmons College, Oberlin College, IDC Herzliya, Cornell College, Northwestern University, and Ripon College. Check Naviance for the dates and times. Remember to check our website for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit on Naviance. Please remember to print your confirmation page and have it signed two days prior to the college visit and have the page signed by your teacher.

Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship applications are available for seniors in the College/Career Center. This scholarship is for a full-time high school senior with a minimum 2.8 GPA, who plans to attend college, university, vocational or technical school in the U.S. In addition, you must be committed to community service and have demonstrated leadership abilities. Please stop in the CCC today to pick up your application. The deadline to return a completed application is Friday.  

CAREER EXPLORATION

Save the date! There will be a Health Careers Night on Wednesday, November 4 at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge from 6-8 p.m. The event will be held in the Grainger Atrium and Yacktman Children’s Pavilion. Learn about health career choices; talk with people who work in various health-related careers; and obtain information about educational requirements and salary ranges. Advance registration is recommended. For more information and to register, please call HealthAdvisor at 1-855-312-KIDS; mention class code 8P54.

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

CLUB NEWS

The Video Game Club meeting on Tuesday has been canceled.

Are you interested in weather and always wanted to understand it better? The Meteorology Club meets at 3:45 p.m. today in Room 2500. Contact Mr. Eriksen for more information at seriksen@d125.org.

The Magicians Club meets today from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in Room 6066! Veteran and aspiring magicians are both welcome. Learn the craft, help aspiring magicians, and prepare for performances outside of school! For more information feel free to contact Nathan Ji at natji6@students.d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Chicago high school football player dies after being injured in game

Dold bill prohibits states from using federal funds to pay pension obligations (+)

Tentative deal in Woodland District 50 teachers contract dispute

CPS to recommend two new charters, place 10 others on academic probation

Shooting leads to soft lockdown at Bolingbrook High

20 years after Fox River Grove school bus accident, difficult emotions linger (+)

For Elk Grove teacher with cancer, all of life is a teachable moment (+)

Gibson City schools try to end fear for at least one Syrian family

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Obama proposes capping standardized testing at 2% of classroom time

Alleged drunk driver kills four, injures dozens at Oklahoma State Homecoming

How will Facebook founder’s new school challenge education?

Former Secretary of Education Spellings picked to lead U. of North Carolina

The online college that’s helping undocumented students

Iowa high school runner disqualified after helping rival runner who collapsed

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.