Friday, October 23, 2015

Science, Health Teachers Speaking at National Conferences

Teachers from Stevenson’s Science and Physical Welfare divisions have been chosen to give presentations at national conferences for peers in their fields.

Science teachers Molly Sponseller and Kellie Dean will be speaking at the National Science Teachers Association Area Conference this afternoon in Reno, Nevada. They will share practical ways to integrate Next Generation Science Standards into science and engineering classrooms. Dean and Sponseller will share a smorgasbord of lessons, activities and ideas. Their presentation is part of a session hosted by the NSTA’s Committee on High School Science Teaching. Stevenson’s Director of Science, Dr. Steve Wood, is a member of the committee.

Health Education teachers Chad Dauphin and Tom Loew have been selected to present at the 2016 SHAPE America National Convention and Expo in April. The title of their presentation is “New Ideas And Activities In Teaching Health Education: 2016 Ed.” This is the second straight year the duo has been selected to present at the national conference.

Dauphin and Loew also will be among the presenters at the Illinois Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance conference November 19 at Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles. Their presentations will include “Having Fun In Health” and “Helping Students Build and Communicate Their Personal Brands.”

Get Your Countdown to College Guide

The College/Career Center held its annual “Finding the Fit” night earlier this week, the kickoff for its Countdown to College program for junior families. A key component of the program is the Countdown to College guide, an 87-page publication that addresses finding a college, the admissions process, financial aid and scholarships, and more. The guide is a free resource for Stevenson families. Click here to download a copy.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Girls Tennis

Stevenson at IHSA State Tournament: The Patriots finished the first day in second place with 20 points, two behind two-time defending state champion Hinsdale Central and two ahead of New Trier. SHS finished second to Hinsdale Central last year. Defending state doubles champions Vinaya Rao and Kate Harvey won all three of their matches, setting up a fourth-round showdown with Glenbrook North’s Hailey Koretz and Caroline Chatas today at Hersey High School. Zoe Taylor also went 3-0 on the first day, and will face Nicole Roc of Chicago Northside in the singles fourth round this morning at Buffalo Grove. Dhwani Kumar battled back from a second-round defeat in singles with a pair of victories, and will face Nicole Tyulpa of Rock Island at Wheeling. Alexandra Zoubareva and Elizabeth Ferdman won their first two doubles matches before being derailed in the third round. They will face Morgan Rerko and Brittany Rohrsen of St. Charles North in the consolation bracket today. Click here to keep tabs on the Patriots throughout today and Saturday. – Day 1 Results | Daily Herald (+)

Football Team Seeks 27th Consecutive Playoff Bid

The Patriot football team travels to Mundelein for its regular-season finale tonight, looking for a sixth victory to ensure a place in the IHSA Class 8A state playoffs. SHS has a 5-3 record, and has won two games in a row. The Mustangs, meanwhile, are 4-4 and have only won once since opening the season 3-0. Stevenson has earned a state playoff bid in each of the last 26 seasons. The 2015 IHSA Football Playoff Pairing Show will air live on Comcast SportsNet Chicago on Saturday from 8-10 p.m., and also will be streamed live at www.IHSA.tv and CSNChicago.com.

Soccer, Cross Country Teams Seek Regional Titles

Three SHS sports teams will compete for regional championships on Saturday. The boys soccer team will face Highland Park for the IHSA Class 3A regional championship, starting at 3 p.m. at Highland Park High. The girls and boys cross country teams, meanwhile, will run in the IHSA Lake Forest Regional at Lake Forest’s west campus on Saturday. The girls’ race begins at 2 p.m., followed by the boys at 3. See the results at these links: Boys Soccer | Girls Cross Country | Boys Cross Country

Boys Golf Set Up for More State Appearances

The boys golf team had its best showing ever at the IHSA state tournament last weekend, finishing 10th. With several players returning next year, hopes are high that the Patriots will earn a repeat trip downstate. Pioneer Press talked with senior Jake Labow and head coach John Rueth about the squad’s success in 2015.

Wrestling Alum Leads Purdue University Squad

Purdue University’s student newspaper has a good article about Danny Sabatello (Class of 2011), who reached the third round of the NCAA wrestling tournament last year. Entering his senior season, Sabatello is looked upon as the team’s leader.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

ACT Room Assignments for Saturday

The ACT college-entrance examination will be administered at Stevenson on Saturday. Click here for room assignments. Testing begins at 8 a.m. in the East Building.

All Math Classes to Attend Anti-Bullying Talk Today

All students enrolled in a math course will attend a special presentation in the Performing Arts Center during their scheduled math class today. Students will hear a presentation by Jerry Ackerman, leader of the “I Will Defend” anti-bullying initiative. His presentation will focus on the 90% of students who are neither the bully or bullied, but who are the bystander. Through student participation and humorous stories, Ackerman offers practical tools for taking the power away from a bully. Ackerman has spoken to more than 1 million students, and is a regular speaker for the Navy SEALS. He is the author of six books and a regular on Sirius/XM Radio. You can read more about Ackerman at http://www.jerryackerman.net/about.html.

Miss Saigon Ticket Sales Start Monday

Tickets for Miss Saigon, the 2015-16 school musical, will go on sale starting Monday. Tickets can only be purchased online. The cost will be $10. All seats are reserved. Performances are scheduled for Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m., November 13-14, and 2 p.m. on Sunday, November 15, in the Performing Arts Center. For more information regarding ticket sales, contact Sally Miller at 847-415-4126 or smiller@d125.org.

S-Factor Auditions Coming in November

Auditions for Stevenson’s only singing competition, S Factor, are November 16-17 and 19-20. Singers and hosts can sign up for auditions at http://goo.gl/forms/eCxjqlWZx1.

Yearbook Re-Take Days Next Week

Yearbook re-takes will take place Wednesday and Friday, October 28 and 30, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. This opportunity is available only for freshmen, sophomores and juniors (plus SHS teachers and staff). Seniors who want to have their yearbook portrait re-taken must contact Visual Image Photography at www.vipis.com or call 800-577-9570.

ATHLETICS

Boys bowling and boys and girls fencing begin Monday. Bowlers will take the shuttle at 3:30 p.m. from the Field House to their practice facility, Lakeside Lanes, in Mundelein. The bus will return to the forum entrance at the end of practice. Fencing will be handing out equipment in the southwest equipment closet of the Field House on the first two days of practice. Monday’s schedule is: A-D 3:45 p.m.; E-G 4:20 p.m.; H-J 5 p.m.; and K-M 5:40 p.m. Tuesday’s schedule: N-P 3:45 p.m.; Q-S 4:20 p.m.; T-W 5 p.m. and X-Z 5:40 p.m.

Anyone interested in trying out for boys basketball should plan on attending an informational meeting. The freshman and sophomore teams will have meetings next  Wednesday. Sophomores will meet from 3:35-4 p.m. in Room 2900. Freshmen will meet in Room 8048 from 3:45-4 p.m. The varsity meeting will be held from 7:30-8 a.m. Monday, November 2 in Room 6070. If you are unable to make the meetings, contact the appropriate coach: Coach Ambrose (varsity) at pambrose@d125.org; Coach Hess (sophomore) at dahess@d125.org; and Coach Gimre (freshman) at kgimre@d125.org.

There will be an informational meeting for girls basketball next Wednesday at 3:45 p.m. in the Little Theater (Room 4200).  If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Graham at agraham@d125.org.

There will be a girls bowling informational meeting next Thursday in Room 2002 at 3:30 p.m. If you cannot attend, contact Coach Johnson at rjohnson@d125.org.

INTRAMURALS

Open Field Softball ends next week. All softball players are welcome to come to the JV softball field Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:45.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention juniors and seniors, the following colleges are coming next week to visit Stevenson: Union College, Pitzer College, University College Dublin, College of Lake College, Elmhurst College, Sewanee: The University of the South, Truman State University, Albion College, Carthage College, Rockford University, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, University of South Carolina, Macalester College, Missouri University of Science and Technology, Coe College, University of Colorado, College of the Holy Cross, Trinity College, Kettering University, Simmons College, Oberlin College, IDC Herzliya, Cornell College, Northwestern University, and Ripon College. Check Naviance for the dates and times. Remember to check our website for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit on Naviance. Please remember to print your confirmation page and have it signed two days prior to the college visit and have the page signed by your teacher.

Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship applications are available for seniors in the College/Career Center. This scholarship is for a full-time high school senior with a minimum 2.8 GPA, who plans to attend college, university, vocational or technical school in the U.S. In addition, you must be committed to community service and have demonstrated leadership abilities. Please stop in the CCC today to pick up your application. The deadline to return a completed application is Friday, October 30.  

CAREER EXPLORATION

Save the date! There will be a Health Careers Night on Wednesday, November 4 at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge from 6-8 p.m. The event will be held in the Grainger Atrium and Yacktman Children’s Pavilion. Learn about health career choices; talk with people who work in various health-related careers; and obtain information about educational requirements and salary ranges. Advance registration is recommended. For more information and to register, please call HealthAdvisor at 1-855-312-KIDS; mention class code 8P54.

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

CLUB NEWS

The Video Game Club meeting on Tuesday has been canceled.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

East St. Louis teachers strike, now in third week, remains stalemate

Catholic high school administrator arrested on child sex abuse charges

Only 30% of CPS students go to their local high school, survey says

Police: Slain teacher’s reluctance to accept help was warning sign

Chicago student reaches for the stars, lands at White House

Richland Community College president to retire in spring

A kinder, gentler dodgeball: Game of gaga gaining ground at schools

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

State universities online to chase out-of-state students, and their money

Disadvantaged start hurts boys more than girls, study suggests

The evolution of the GI Bill

Dice game dispute leads to fatal shooting on Tennessee State campus

Stories of strippers for recruits rocks University of Louisville basketball program

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.