Monday, October 19, 2015

State Honors Those Who Excel Recipients

Eleven members of the Stevenson community were honored during the Illinois State Board of Education’s 41st annual Those Who Excel/Illinois Teacher of the Year banquet on Saturday in Normal.

The Academic Literacy Team of Maureen Rubenstein, Daniel Argentar, Brian Wise, James Barnabee and Nicole Fuller received the Award of Excellence, which is the highest level of recognition, in the Team category.

Two individuals were honored with the Award of Merit: Communication Arts teacher Stephen Heller (Classroom Teacher) and Special Education instructional aide Yolanda Pilch (Educational Service Personnel).

The Award of Recognition was given to four others: Business teacher Taylor Osicek (Early Career Educator), school psychologist Mandi Croft (Student Support Personnel), SHS parent Jenni Vravick (Community Volunteer), and Assistant Superintendent for Business Mark Michelini (School Administrator).

Statesman Scores Nearly Perfect Rating in Contest

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, received several honors in the Kettle Moraine Press Association 2015 publication contest. The newspaper’s 2014-15 editions received an All-KEMPA rating, the contest’s highest honor, and posted a nearly perfect score. The Statesman earned 97% of a possible 1,200 points in the contest. Several current and former students received individual honors:

• Brenda Reyn received two excellent ratings and one honorable mention for three of her editorial cartoons.
  • Reyn, Cindy Yao, Sabrina Szos, Alex Shafran, Stephanie Namkoong (Class of 2015), and Fathma Rahman (2015) received a superior rating for team reporting.
  • Katy Roach (2015) received a Best in Show for news writing, an excellent rating for opinion column writing, and an honorable mention for sports feature.
  • Shubhangi Joshi received a superior rating for sports news while Namrata Sridhar received an honorable mention in the same category.
  • Alice Vagun (2015) received an honorable mention for front page design.
  • Szos and Sarah Verschoor received an excellent rating for two-page spread.

Dean Bradshaw’s crew also received a superior rating as well as an honorable mention for two of its staff editorials. Awards were announced Friday at the KEMPA Scholastic Journalism Conference.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Saturday’s Varsity Results

Boys Golf

Stevenson at IHSA Class 3A State Tournament: The Patriots finished 10th at The Den at Fox Creek Golf Course in Bloomington, their best finish ever. SHS entered the second day in eighth place. Jake Labow led the Pats with a two-day score of 160, tying for 34th place. He had a 7-over-par 79 on Saturday and an 81 on Friday. Jackson Bussell finished with a 167, including a team-best 78 on Friday. James Dvorak and Kamaren Sandhu each had 169. Jedi Jhu shot 171 for the team’s fifth score. Zach Orlowsky and Kevin Chin also participated. Stevenson’s previous best finish at state was 12th place in 2001. – Official Results

Girls Tennis

Stevenson hosted IHSA Sectional: The Patriots won their fifth consecutive sectional championship, and qualified all four entries for this week’s state tournament. Defending state champions Kate Harvey and Vinaya Rao won the doubles championship, defeating teammates Elizabeth Ferdman and Alexandra Zoubareva, 6-3, 6-1. Rao and Harvey won all four of their matches in straight sets during the sectional. Zoubareva and Ferdman, meanwhile, reached the title match with a come-from-behind victory over Fremd. In singles, Zoe Taylor and Dhwani Kumar squared off in the third-place match, with Taylor prevailing, 6-2, 6-1. SHS had a team score of 31 points, well ahead of runner-up Barrington (19) and Palatine (18). – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Boys Cross Country

Stevenson at NSC Championships: The Patriots finished third behind Lake Zurich, which won its seventh title in the last eight years, and one point less than Warren. Nikita Smyrnov finished 10th in 15:40.87 to lead SHS while Brett Lucas was 12th (15:44.29). Adam Butler (21st, 16:10.33), Jacob Sparreo (23rd, 16:11.39) and Paul Udoni (24th, 16:12.05) also captured all-conference honors. Mattaeus Klonowski placed 38th (16:30.99). The Pats competed without their top runner, Jared Borowsky, who missed the meet at Lakewood Forest Preserve with an injury. Borowsky, who finished fifth in the conference last year as a junior, is expected to be ready for this week’s Lake Forest Regional. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Girls Cross Country

Stevenson at NSC Championships: Isabelle Sparreo finished second, leading the Patriots to a third-place showing at Lakewood Forest Preserve. Sparreo posted a time of 17:16.11, and was one of four SHS runners who earned all-conference honors by placing in the top 30. She was joined by Jessica Philipp (13th, 18:21.59), Natalie Sparreo (16th, 18:42.22) and Gabriela Jagielo (28th, 19:04.01). Shea Kirby was 35th (19:17.38), Kendall Roberts finished 37th (19:19.89) and Claire Sullivan placed 41st (19:28.55). All seven Stevenson runners finished before any other team with seven competitors. – Official Results | Daily Herald (+)

Girls Swimming and Diving

Stevenson hosted SHS Invitational: Casey Kirby and Iza Pelka each won an individual event and swam on winning relays as the host Patriots captured the team title over eight other schools. Kirby won the 100 backstroke (59.17) and Pelka captured the 200 free (1:58.48), and both comprised half of the winning 400 free relay with Rachel Song and Irune Andres (3:40.17). Kirby also was part of the victorious 200 medley relay with Song,  Ashley Carollo and Danielle Fang (1:50.09). Runner-up finishes came from Song in the 100 fly (58.18), Kirby in the 100 free (54.22), Fang in the 100 breast (1:08.65), Andres in the 200 individual medley (2:12.13) and 500 free (5:14.94), and the 200 free relay (1:41.54). Third-place efforts were put in by Morgan Bosse in the 200 free (2:01.46) and 500 free (5:27.60), and Carollo in the 100 back (1:01.02). SHS racked up 317 team points, well ahead of Lincoln-Way East (256) and Plainfield (175.5). – Daily Herald

Boys Ice Hockey

Loyola Gold 3, Stevenson 1: At Heartland Arena, Jordan Marcelletti scored the lone Patriot goal, assisted by Tim Fogliatti and Daniel Wolfe. Goalie Josh Pike stopped 17 shots.

Friday’s Varsity Results

Football

Stevenson 42, Zion-Benton 14: The Patriots (5-3, 3-2) racked up nearly 400 yards of offense, including 290 on the ground, against the visiting Zee-Bees (3-5, 0-5). Anthony Sibo led the way with 162 yards on eight carries, including touchdowns from 80 and 55 yards out. Tyler Vincent gained 125 yards on 12 carries, and had TD runs of 70 and 8 yards. Jack Sorenson was 7-of-11 passing for 107 yards and two TDs, both to Henry Marchese (39 and 21 yards). Ryan Greenbury and Spencer Cadiz recovered blocked kicks that led to Stevenson touchdowns. SHS led 28-0 at halftime. – Pioneer Press, Daily Herald (+), Stevenson Broadcast Network replay

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Want to Go to Fright Fest? Sign Up By Thursday

Catalyst is sponsoring a trip to Great America for Fright Fest on Saturday. This event is open to all Stevenson students. You can purchase tickets and turn in the required permission slip at the school store. The last day to sign up is Thursday. Free bus transportation to and from Great America will be provided. Buses will leave at 4:30 p.m., and return around 12:30 a.m. Local police have been notified about the event, so you should be safe from curfew violations. For more details, click here.

Save a Life and Help Kiva Club By Giving Blood

Be a “donating Dracula” and help save three lives by giving blood at the Student Activities blood drive on Friday, October 30. The blood drive will take place during periods 3-8 in the Wrestling Room (Room 2111). You must be at least 17 years old to donate blood, and also must weigh at least 110 pounds. Click here to register, and for the required permission form. The registration deadline is Friday. In addition to helping others, your donation also helps the Kiva Club. LifeSource Blood Services will give the club money based on the number of donors who participate. The money will be used to support Kiva Club’s efforts to provide “micro loans” to entrepreneurs in developing countries.

Showcase Auditions Sign-Ups End This Week

The second round of audition sign-ups for Showcase, the Patriot Parent Association’s annual student variety show, will be held Tuesday through Thursday during all lunch periods in the Wood and Glass Commons. What kinds of acts are the PPA looking for? Visit www.d125.org/showcase for the answer to that question, the audition sign-up form, plus other important information.

PPA Bake Sale Wednesday Afternoon

The PPA’s next bake sale is Wednesday in the Wood and Glass Commons. All treats will be $1; cash only.

Homework Center Word of the Day Winner

Ashwin Suresh is this week’s Homework Center Word of the Day winner. He will receive a Sodexo Smoothie gift certificate. Thank you to all who participated. Don’t forget to stop by the Homework Center in Room 1313. It’s a place where you can finish your homework or get peer tutoring, develop creative ideas and organizational skills, as well as motivation skills. The Homework Center also has “thinker toy” strategy games.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention juniors: Your college search begins this year and the College/Career Center has a program to help. Plan to attend “Finding the Fit” at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the PAC to learn how to choose a college, how colleges choose you, and how this entire college search process works. This 75-minute event is for both juniors and parents, and kicks off our college counseling program for the Class of 2017. Don’t miss this opportunity to focus on finding the right college fit for you!

Attention seniors: Got a question about your college application? Trying to figure out how to make the Common App work for you? Why not drop by the College/Career Center anytime between 7:30 and 8:15 tomorrow? The CCC will host Drop-In Days for seniors every second day of the week this month. Join us if you have a quick college question.

College-bound students with an IEP or 504 plan are invited to attend the annual Choices Fair on Wednesday at Niles North High School. The evening begins with breakout sessions at 6 p.m. and 6:50 p.m., followed by a college fair from 7-9 p.m. For more information about the fair, visit www.postsecondarychoices.org.

Attention juniors and seniors, the following colleges are coming this week to visit Stevenson: Texas State University, Rhode Island School of Design, George Washington University, the Air Force Academy, Augustana College, Art Center College of Design, Caltech, Boston University, Duke University, Ohio University, Northeastern University, University of Oklahoma, Carleton College, Cleveland State University, Kansas State University, Case-Western University, Trinity Christian College, New York University, Baylor University, Calvin College, University of South Alabama, Hofstra University, University of Toronto, Clark University, Indiana University – Purdue, Southeast Missouri State University, Vanderbilt University, Kent State University, Kalamazoo College and Colorado State. Please check Naviance for the dates and times. Remember to check our website for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit on Naviance.  Please remember to print your confirmation page and have it signed two days prior to the college visit and have the page signed by your teacher.

CLUB NEWS

Attention all juniors! If you like breakfast, come get it for free on Tuesday, starting at 7:30 a.m. in Room 2104! Get pumped!

Are you interested in a future in a medical or health care field? HOSA is a nationally chartered club that allows students to compete in health science related events, including biomedical debate, medical math and Health career display. Our next meeting is Wednesday after school in Room 6048/6050. Hope to see you there!

Chinese Club will show the new Karate Kid movie after school Tuesday in Room 2812, with plenty of Chinese snacks to feed your hunger.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

ATHLETICS

There will be an informational meeting for girls basketball on Wednesday, October 28 at 3:45 p.m. in the Little Theater (Room 4200).  If you cannot attend, please contact Coach Graham at agraham@d125.org.

Anyone interested in trying out for boys basketball should plan on attending an informational meeting. The freshman and sophomore teams will have meetings on Wednesday, October 28. Sophomores will meet from 3:35-4 p.m. in Room 2900. Freshmen will meet in Room 8048 from 3:45-4 p.m. The varsity meeting will be held from 7:30-8 a.m. Monday, November 2 in Room 6070. If you are unable to make the meetings, contact the appropriate coach: Coach Ambrose (varsity) at pambrose@d125.org; Coach Hess (sophomore) at dahess@d125.org; and Coach Gimre (freshman) at kgimre@d125.org.

INTRAMURALS

Open Field Softball is available every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:45 until October 27 on the JV softball field. All softball players are welcome. Click here for the fall schedule.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Peoria math instructor named Illinois Teacher of the Year

State board of education paid $500K to departing employees

Waukegan teacher charged with sexual assault of a minor

Eastern Illinois U. faculty members push for provost no-confidence vote

Kelly helps his high school music teacher save her home

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

More schools across U.S. finding alternatives to suspending students

Helicopter parenting: Ruining a generation of children?

Mississippi educators say they’ve been told to stay silent on funding issue

Apple loses patent lawsuit to University of Wisconsin, faces hefty damages

Presidential search snafu latest irritation for University of North Carolina

$300-a-night hotel houses New York U. students due to housing overflow

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.