Wednesday, October 7, 2015

All Students Eligible for Free EKG Screening

The Max Schewitz Foundation will provide free EKG screening for all Stevenson students on Wednesday and Thursday, November 4-5. Screening will be done at the school with the help of SHS parent and community volunteers.

Students can register up through the testing dates. If you register early (on or before Friday, October 16), you will receive a copy of your child’s EKG by email for no charge. After October 16, there will be a $10 service fee per copy.

Approximately 175-200 parent volunteers are needed. All volunteers sign a confidentiality agreement, and medical information is kept confidential. Only the cardiologists who interpret the EKGs and the Max Schewitz Foundation staff have access to the student’s test results. Stevenson will not receive EKG results.

For details on EKG testing, to register a student for testing, or to sign up as a volunteer, go to: http://www.events.org/screensforteensstevenson.

First Statesman of the Year Coming Out Thursday

Stevenson’s student newspaper, The Statesman, will publish its first issue of the school year on Thursday. Statesman staffers will report on the new Quiet Learning Center, Illinois’ new medical marijuana law and dispensary creation, security cameras on buses, the recent decline in underage drinking, and the “Play Smart Play Hard” safe football program from the Illinois High School Association.

Editor’s Note

The Daily Digest will not be published Thursday or Friday, nor on Monday. The Digest will resume publication Tuesday.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Tuesday’s Varsity Results

Boys Golf

Stevenson at IHSA Class 3A Buffalo Grove Regional: Buoyed by a sizzling 70 from Kamaren Sandhu, the Patriots finished third at Buffalo Grove Golf Club and qualified for Monday’s sectional in Rockford. Sandhu shot a 33 on the front nine, the best nine-hole score of the day, and finished tied for second, two strokes behind the medalist from Fremd. Jedi Jhu and Jackson Bussell each shot a 75, Zach Orlowsky carded a 76, Jake Labow had a 78, and James Dvorak contributed an 81. SHS finished with a team score of 296, one stroke behind Barrington and three back of champion Highland Park. – Official Results

Girls Tennis

Stevenson 7, Deerfield 0: At the Vernon Hills Athletic Complex, the Patriots (16-1) bounced back from their first loss in convincing fashion. Zoe Taylor posted a 6-1, 6-0 decision at No. 1 singles, while Kate Harvey and Vinaya Rao were 6-2, 6-0 winners at No. 1 doubles. Dhwani Kumar (6-0, 6-1) and Maria Sarabia (6-3, 6-2) prevailed at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively. Other doubles wins came from No. 2 Elizabeth Ferdman/Alexandra Zoubareva (6-2, 6-2), No. 3 Paige Nierman/Gwen Heidkamp (6-1, 6-0), and No. 4 Samantha Burger/Alyssa Glaser (6-1, 6-3).

Boys Soccer

Vernon Hills 1, Stevenson 0: The Cougars (11-5) defeated the visiting Patriots (8-5-3) for the first time in their history. – Daily Herald

Monday’s Varsity Results

Field Hockey

Stevenson 4, Naperville North 0: The Patriots had a dominating performance on Senior Night, with goals scored by Megan Lillis, Jamie Schlacter, Allison Schultz and Jenna Eckerling.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Mandatory Meeting for Juniors During Activity Period

Juniors: There is a mandatory meeting with your counselor during the activity period on Thursday. You must attend this meeting even if you are part of a club that is meeting.

Grove 2204 Studio Theater

Jones 2104

Kellogg 7044/7046

Kelly 2206 West Auditorium

Kulla 2206 West Auditorium

Martin 7014

Moran 2202 Chorus Room

Perkins 2500/2504

Roznowski 4100 Recital Hall

Scanio 8046/8048

Seeger 6048/6050

Sullivan 7096

Timm 4200 Little Theater

Vazquez 2104

PPA Bake Sale This Afternoon

Don’t miss the PPA Bake Sale this afternoon in the Wood and Glass Commons! Pies, donuts, Puppy Chow and more. All items are $1.

Need Halloween Ideas? Stop by the Thespian Costume Sale

It’s back! We’ve cleaned out the costume storage room for the “Nearly Annual Thespian Costume Sale.” Items will be on sale today and Thursday in the Glass Commons during all lunch periods. Drop by to browse our racks to find Halloween costume inspiration! Items range from $25 to $3. Bring cash!

Showcase Auditions Sign-Ups Start October 14

Audition sign-ups for Showcase, the Patriot Parent Association’s annual student variety show, will be held Wednesday and Thursday, October 14-15, and Tuesday and Wednesday, October 20-22, during all lunch periods in the Wood and Glass Commons. What kinds of acts are the PPA looking for? Visit www.d125.org/showcase for the answer to that question, the audition sign-up form, plus other important information.

Homework Center Word of the Day Winner

Shreya Sriram is this week’s Homework Center Word of the Day winner. She will receive a $5 gift certificate to Jazzman’s. Last week’s winner was Maya Parekh. Thank you to all who participated. Don’t forget to stop by the Homework Center in Room 1313. It’s a place where you can finish your homework or get peer tutoring, develop creative ideas and organizational skills, as well as motivation skills. The Homework Center also has “thinker toy” strategy games.

Sushi Station in the West Commons October 16

Sodexo is offering a made-to-order sushi station in the West Commons during the lunch periods on Friday, October 16. You can mix and match from 15 different sushi types, made with either traditional sushi rice or healthy brown rice. Using only the finest ingredients, the products offer diners everything from raw, exotic fish to fully-cooked, traditionally-prepared seafood to vegan and vegetarian options. The sushi station will be located near the main cashier lines.

INTRAMURALS

Did you hear about the new IM Club? IM Spikeball is now at Stevenson and it starts today! Spikeball will meet on Wednesdays after school in the outfield of the sophomore baseball field. No need to register, just stop on by and have some fun! More information is available at www.d125.org/spikeball.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention juniors and seniors, the following colleges are coming this week to visit Stevenson: Lawrence University, Lawrence Technological University, University of Connecticut, Illinois Wesleyan University, Denison University, Illinois Institute of Technology, Smith College, Bradley University, UCLA, College of Wooster, University of Kansas, Hamilton College, Ohio State University, Rhodes College, Williams College, University of Cincinnati, University of Mount Union, University of Puget Sound, Villanova University, Middlebury College, Washington and Lee University, Princeton University, Wesleyan University, University of Tulsa, Otterbein University, Lehigh University, Kendall College, Mount Mercy College, Indiana State University, Tufts University, Lewis University, Luther College, Northern Michigan University, University of Alabama, Pace University, Georgetown University, Whittier College and Iowa Wesleyan University. Please check Naviance for the dates and times. Remember to check our website for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit on Naviance. Remember to print your confirmation page and have it signed two days prior to the college visit, and have the page signed by your teacher.

The Campus Pride College Fair and Prep Day for junior and senior LGBTQ and Ally students, and their families, in partnership with Teach for America, is coming to the Chicago area. The fair will be held Saturday, November 7, from 1:30-3:30 p.m. at the Center on Halsted, 3656 N. Halsted St., in Chicago. Parking fees may apply. There is an early registration discount until October 23. For more information, go to  http://campusprideindex.org/menu/collegefair.

Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship applications are available for seniors in the College/Career Center. This scholarship is for a full-time high school senior with a minimum 2.8 GPA, who plans to attend college, university, vocational or technical school in the U.S. In addition, you must be committed to community service and have demonstrated leadership abilities. Please stop in the CCC today to pick up your application. The deadline to return a completed application is October 30.

CLUB NEWS

The Interactive Gamers Club will be hosting a Sealed Magic tournament Thursday after school in Room 1204 (Faculty Dining Room). The cost is $5, and each participant will get six packs, in addition to prizes and raffles! You must be able to stay until 5:30 to participate.

Peer Tutors will have a general meeting after school Thursday in the Little Theater.

The Stevenson Styler will be meeting Thursday during the activity period in Room 1612.  We will be working on our articles for the Fall edition. Hope to see you there!

Food Revolution Club members, please meet in Room 1406 during the activity period on Thursday for a culinary demonstration from Chef Brian Schrieber from Kendall College. We will be comparing and contrasting store-bought convenience food used in salad preparation versus local, fresh ingredients. Interested in joining the club? Please contact our sponsor, Sara Lohrmann, at slohrmann@d125.org.

Are you interested in a future in a medical or health care field? HOSA is a nationally chartered club that allows students to compete in health science-related events, including biomedical debate, medical math and health career display. The club is perfect for anyone interested in the medical field, as it offers valuable insight to how a career in medicine works. Club meetings consist of event preparation, presentations and guest speakers. We meet once every two weeks on Wednesday after school in Room 6048/6050. Our next meeting is today. Hope to see you there!

The Black Association of Stevenson Students will host its first E-Board Elections at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, October 14 in Room 1414. The club is seeking students willing to participate in planning field trips, guest speakers, and other grand events for the school. Positions for election include president, vice-president, secretary, and marketing/media coordinator. Also, don’t forget that the group meets today after school in Room 1414.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

Save the date! There will be a Health Careers Night on Wednesday, November 4 at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge from 6-8 p.m. The event will be held in the Grainger Atrium and Yacktman Children’s Pavilion. Learn about health career choices; talk with people who work in various health-related careers; and obtain information about educational requirements and salary ranges. Advance registration is recommended. For more information and to register, please call HealthAdvisor at 1-855-312-KIDS; mention class code 8P54.

ATHLETICS

Nominations are now being taken for the new ESPPA Awards. ESPPA stands for Exceptional Stevenson Patriot Pride Award, and every season the Athletic Department will be honoring athletes at all levels for great performances. There are even awards for outstanding team managers and fans. You can nominate someone today by going to the ESPPA web page.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

Majority of McHenry schools’ Homecoming week cancelled due to strike

Lawmakers ask state education officials to explain $11K perk for superintendent (+)

Former Neuqua Valley teacher charged with trying to seduce student (+)

Will federal funding spawn more suburban charter schools? (+)

Urbana lifts fingerprint rules for many school volunteers

Emanuel wants CPS property tax increase, but mum on spending specifics (+)

Chicago Teachers Union president Lewis running for re-election

Elgin U-46 board splits over closed-session recordings (+)

NU, Chicago schools hope online courses led kids to medical careers

Waukegan District 60 working to boost attendance, tackle truancy (+)

Hinsdale District 86 board member files complaint over treatment by resident (+)

Sex offender complains to police after being turned away from Sandwich High (+)

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Where else are you applying? Colleges can’t ask applicants much longer

Washington state lawmakers being fined $100K per day over education funding

Surprisingly few urban high school students take the SAT or ACT

Pediatricians now agree: Screen time isn’t so bad for kids

Publisher apologizes for textbook calling slaves “workers”

Atlanta-area schools let kids skip the uniform … for a fee

Campuses debate rising demand for “comfort animals”

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.