Tuesday, October 6, 2015

More Than 50 Students to be Honored at SPARK Symposium

More than 50 students who participated in summer research internships related to science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) will be honored, along with their mentors, during the annual SPARK Symposium and Recognition Dinner on Thursday. The event is closed to the public.

Students who will be honored include: Rahul Arun, Revanth Bellam, Mariel Boden, Joshua Brot, Alexis Cacioppo, Kevin Cao, Akshay Chaubal, Michelle Fan, Adit Ghosh, Aman Grover, Adnan Hossain, Amber Hu, Isheeta Jaria, Shubhangi Joshi, Christie Kang, Aaron Kennerley, Ali Ladha, Hyung Seok Lee, Jeemin Lee, Ken Lee, Tae-Geun Lee, Emily Leng, Cary Li, Alice Liu, Katherine Liu, Anastasiya Loos, Dani Lopez, David Luo, Teresa Mao, Julia Mei, Bijan Moazezi, Rebecca Nelson, Caleb Oh, Sneha Poondru, Mekki Rachedine, Eric Ren, Gillian Rubenstein, Hyun Jung Ryu, Nathan Shlobin, Niveda Tennety, Matthew Treiber, Michelle Tsai, Lia Tziortzis, Diane Um, Alli VanOverberghe, Ajay Varadhan, Prithvi Velpuri, Ekaterina Villevald, Teja Vontikommu, Kathy Xiang, Cindy Yao, Kevin You, Riya Zachariah, Jennifer Zhang, Shu Zhang and Serge Zvenigorodsky.

Botanic Garden Teacher is Artist of the Month

Chicago-area photographer and workshop teacher Dianne Kittle is the Art Department’s Visiting Artist of the Month for October. Samples of her work are on display in the Rotunda Gallery, located in the 1400 hallway of the West Building, and she will come to the school later in the month to meet with students. Kittle teaches fine art photography at the Chicago Botanic Garden. She has taught and exhibited photography in the Chicago area, as well as in Bangkok, Sydney and Colorado Springs.

Former U.N. Ambassador to Speak at Stevenson Center

Former U.S. Ambassador Thomas Pickering will discuss “The U.S, the U.N., and the Future” at the Adlai Stevenson Center on Democracy at 2 p.m. Saturday in Mettawa. He will discuss the mission of the United Nations, its relevance in the world today, and offer ideas for strengthening the agency. Admission is free for students who register by email to info@stevensoncenterondemocracy.org, and $15 for adults. Click here to buy tickets.

Correction

Monday’s item on the Model United Nations team incorrectly identified one of the students receiving awards at Saturday’s conference at Sandburg High School. Freshman Daniel Brot should have been listed, rather than his brother, senior Josh Brot.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Monday’s Varsity Results

(+) indicates article requiring response/registration/payment to view

Girls Volleyball

Stevenson d. Palatine, 25-9, 25-17: Jori Radtke had 10 kills and three digs, and Isabella Milejczyk served six aces for the Patriots (22-6) on the road. Corissa Kurth dished out 13 assists and served two aces. Morgan Berland and Chloe Robinson made six and five digs, respectively. Jordyn Taborek added four kills. – Daily Herald

Boys Soccer

Stevenson 4, Carmel 2: Keeper Jeremy Klaber and the Patriot defense withstood persistent early attacks, and Jun Min scored two goals and added an assist in Mundelein. Klaber made eight of his 11 saves in the first half, including stopping a penalty kick, against the speedy Corsairs (11-6). Min opened the scoring for SHS (8-4-3) on a penalty kick in the game’s fourth minute, and Avery Delgado scored on a header set up by Kevin O’Reilly 20 minutes later. In the second half, Dean Lim scored off an assist from Min to make it 3-0, and Min pushed the advantage to 4-0 with help from Ben Brandt. Carmel didn’t score its goals until the 63rd and 78th minutes. – Daily Herald (+), Pioneer Press

Girls Cross Country

Stevenson 19, Antioch 42; Stevenson 15, Zion-Benton 49: Isabelle Sparreo led all runners with a time of 18:29.69 at Shiloh Park in Zion. She led an SHS contingent that posted five of the six fastest results. Jessica Philipp was third (19:59.23), Kendall Roberts fourth (20:12.78), Shea Kirby fifth (20:28.61) and Gabriela Jagielo sixth (20:31.74). Natalie Sparreo was eighth (20:41.57) and Claire Sullivan 10th (20:49.80). – Official Results

Boys Cross Country

Stevenson 24, Antioch 31; Zion-Benton 20, Stevenson 37: At Shiloh Park in Zion, Mattaeus Klonowski led the Patriots with a third-place finish in 17:00.75. Joseph Axelson was sixth (17:10.59) and Tim Green took seventh (17:11.77). Jakob Bloomfield finished 13th (17:39.35) and Daniel Engel was 17th (17:48.48). – Official Results

Girls Tennis

New Trier 6, Stevenson 2: In Winnetka, the Patriots (15-1) suffered their first loss of the season. The winning entries were both in doubles: No. 1 Vinaya Rao/Kate Harvey (6-4, 7-5) and No. 3 Gwen Heidkamp/Paige Nierman (6-2, 6-2). SHS finished second in the state last year, and the Trevians were fourth.

Lillydahl Returning to Lead Boys Swim Program

Doug Lillydahl, who coached Stevenson’s boys swimming and diving team to second-place finishes at the state finals in 2003 and 2004, is returning to the helm of the program he guided for eight seasons. Under his tutelage, Stevenson had its only top-four showings at the Illinois High School Association state meet. Lillydahl’s teams had a record of 42-13 in dual meets — including a 38-5 mark in his last six years — and went undefeated in three seasons. Read More

Catchings, Fever Take WNBA Finals Lead

Former Stevenson all-stater Tamika Catchings scored 12 points, grabbed six rebounds and had four assists as the Indiana Fever beat the Minnesota Lynx, 75-69, in the opening game of the WNBA Finals on Sunday. Game two in the best-of-five series is tonight at 7 o’clock on ESPN2. Daily Herald writer Patricia Babcock McGraw talked with Catchings recently (+) as she nears the end of her professional career.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Need Halloween Ideas? Stop by the Thespian Costume Sale

It’s back! We’ve cleaned out the costume storage room for the “Nearly Annual Thespian Costume Sale.” Items will be on sale Wednesday and Thursday in the Glass Commons during all lunch periods. Drop by to browse our racks to find Halloween costume inspiration! Items range from $25 to $3. Bring cash!

PPA Bake Sale Wednesday Afternoon

Don’t miss the PPA Bake Sale Wednesday afternoon in the Wood and Glass Commons! Pies, donuts, Puppy Chow and more. All items are $1.

Showcase Auditions Sign-Ups Start October 14

Audition sign-ups for Showcase, the Patriot Parent Association’s annual student variety show, will be held Wednesday and Thursday, October 14-15, and Tuesday and Wednesday, October 20-22, during all lunch periods in the Wood and Glass Commons. What kinds of acts are the PPA looking for? Visit www.d125.org/showcase for the answer to that question, the audition sign-up form, plus other important information.

Yearbook Re-Take Days for Students (Grades 9-11), Staff

Did you have a bad hair day when your yearbook photo was taken in August? Never had your yearbook photo taken? You’ll have a second chance during yearbook re-take days Tuesday and Friday, October 20 and 23, from 10:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. This opportunity is available only for freshmen, sophomores and juniors (plus SHS teachers and staff). Seniors who want to have their yearbook portrait re-taken must contact Visual Image Photography at www.vipis.com or call 800-577-9570.

Graduation Cap and Gown, Announcement Orders

Seniors will have their graduation meeting during the activity period this Thursday. Seniors can order their graduation caps and gowns, and graduation announcements, between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday, October 15-16, in the Patriot Lobby by Room 2400.

ATHLETICS

Nominations are now being taken for the new ESPPA Awards. ESPPA stands for Exceptional Stevenson Patriot Pride Award, and every season the Athletic Department will be honoring athletes at all levels for great performances. There are even awards for outstanding team managers and fans. You can nominate someone today by going to the ESPPA web page.

INTRAMURALS

Did you hear about the new IM Club? IM Spikeball is now at Stevenson and it starts tomorrow! Spikeball will meet on Wednesdays after school in the outfield of the sophomore baseball field. No need to register, just stop on by and have some fun! More information is available at www.d125.org/spikeball.

Open Field Softball is available every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:45 until October 27 on the JV softball field. All softball players are welcome. Click here for the fall schedule.

Open Diamond Baseball ends this week. The remaining dates are today, Tuesday and Thursday. Workouts take place on the sophomore baseball field from 3:45-6 p.m.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention juniors and seniors, the following colleges are coming this week to visit Stevenson: Lawrence University, Lawrence Technological University, University of Connecticut, Illinois Wesleyan University, Denison University, Illinois Institute of Technology, Smith College, Bradley University, UCLA, College of Wooster, University of Kansas, Hamilton College, Ohio State University, Rhodes College, Williams College, University of Cincinnati, University of Mount Union, University of Puget Sound, Villanova University, Middlebury College, Washington and Lee University, Princeton University, Wesleyan University, University of Tulsa, Otterbein University, Lehigh University, Kendall College, Mount Mercy College, Indiana State University, Tufts University, Lewis University, Luther College, Northern Michigan University, University of Alabama, Pace University, Georgetown University, Whittier College and Iowa Wesleyan University. Please check Naviance for the dates and times. Remember to check our website for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit on Naviance. Remember to print your confirmation page and have it signed two days prior to the college visit, and have the page signed by your teacher.

Seniors interested in the University of Virginia: The Jefferson Scholars Foundation awards full scholarships to UVA to students who have demonstrated uncommon academic ability, exceptional leadership and a commitment to the community at large.  Stevenson may nominate one student for this prestigious scholarship. If you are interested, please pick up an application from the CCC. Please return this application to the CCC by October 23.

If you are an outstanding senior student who is interested in the University of Notre Dame, you might want to apply for its prestigious Hesburgh-Yusko scholarship. This scholarship provides $25,000 per year towards the cost of attendance at ND, plus opportunities to engage in learning seminars and summer enrichment programs.  Stevenson can nominate one or two applicants who display outstanding leadership, academic achievement, a sincere commitment to service and solid moral character.  Applications are available in the CCC and are due October 23.

CLUB NEWS

Do you want to help change the world? Stevenson’s very own Gay-Straight Alliance meets on Tuesdays. Come on down for support, friends and fun. We meet in Room 6012 right after school.

Food Revolution Club members, please meet in Room 1406 during the activity period on Thursday for a culinary demonstration from Chef Brian Schrieber from Kendall College. We will be comparing and contrasting store-bought convenience food used in salad preparation versus local, fresh ingredients. Interested in joining the club? Please contact our sponsor, Sara Lohrmann, at slohrmann@d125.org.

Are you interested in a future in a medical or health care field? HOSA is a nationally chartered club that allows students to compete in health science-related events, including biomedical debate, medical math and health career display. The club is perfect for anyone interested in the medical field, as it offers valuable insight to how a career in medicine works. Club meetings consist of event preparation, presentations and guest speakers. We meet once every two weeks on Wednesday after school in Room 6048/6050. Our next meeting will be tomorrow. Hope to see you there!

The Black Association of Stevenson Students will host its first E-Board Elections at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, October 14 in Room 1414. The club is seeking students willing to participate in planning field trips, guest speakers, and other grand events for the school. Positions for election include president, vice-president, secretary, and marketing/media coordinator.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

Save the date! There will be a Health Careers Night on Wednesday, November 4 at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge from 6-8 p.m. The event will be held in the Grainger Atrium and Yacktman Children’s Pavilion. Learn about health career choices; talk with people who work in various health-related careers; and obtain information about educational requirements and salary ranges. Advance registration is recommended. For more information and to register, please call HealthAdvisor at 1-855-312-KIDS; mention class code 8P54.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

(+) indicates article requiring registration/payment to view

McHenry High School District 156 teachers’ strike enters fourth day

Indian Prairie District 204 teachers rejected second proposal (+)

Bomb threat cancels evening classes at College of DuPage

Report of possible weapon leads to lockdown at Shepard High School

Chicago’s first Asian-American principal, a war hero, dies at age 90

UI team among hundreds preparing for Elon Musk’s Hyperloop competition

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Community colleges face big security risks with few resources

California teens foil classmate’s plan for school massacre, police say

Now that Arne Duncan is out, is No Child Left Behind to stay?

Education Department pumps brakes on competency-based education

Ohio forges education data, but wins $71M federal grant anyway

Students, celebrities connect for tutoring

Can $25M get 500 poor kids to and through college? One billionaire is trying

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.