Monday, October 5, 2015

16 Students Earn Honors at Model UN Conference

Sixteen students earned awards at the Model United Nations conference hosted by Sandburg High School on Saturday. Anita Fang and Samarth Maduru earned Best Delegate honors, while Marco Laudati, Wilson Liu, Daniel Brot and Kevin Li received Outstanding Delegate designation. Honorable mention honors went to Teddy Coburn, Yeshi Cai, Rebecca Lin, Andy Hwang, Lara Iriarte, Mary Polupan, Ryan Rezania, Michelle Fan, Rohit Mandava and Mariel Boden.

PSAT Registration Deadline Thursday

Thursday is the deadline for sophomores and juniors to register for the PSAT exam, which will be given at the school on Wednesday, October 14. Click here to register for the optional test, which provides practice for the SAT Reasoning Test and also serves as the National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (NMSQT). Top performing juniors nationally (approximately 1%) may be eligible for money through National Merit, National Achievement, or National Hispanic Scholarship funds. A registration link and more details are available on our PSAT page.

Fall Orchestra Concert Tonight in the PAC

Music of the masters will be presented by the Stevenson Strings, Concert Orchestra and the Patriot Symphony Orchestra (including members of the Stevenson Honor Band) at 7 o’clock tonight in the Performing Arts Center. Click here to see the program and orchestra rosters. For those unable to attend tonight, the concert will be streamed live by the Stevenson Broadcast Network. Click here to watch.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Saturday’s Varsity Results

(+) indicates article requiring response/registration/payment to view

Boys Soccer

Stevenson 1, Lake Zurich 1: Jun Min scored off an assist from Dennis Katsman for the visiting Patriots (7-4-3, 2-2-2). Both teams scored their goal in the first half. Jeremy Klaber made six saves. – Daily Herald

Boys Golf

Stevenson at Bruce Slovitt Trevian Invitational: The Patriots placed fifth out of 16 teams at Winnetka Golf Club, shooting a team score of 322, 15 strokes behind champion Loyola. – Daily Herald

Boys Ice Hockey

Rockford 6, Stevenson 5: Jackson Leptich scored two goals for the Patriots in their Scholastic Hockey League opener on the road. Michael Dowd had a goal and an assist, and Jack Wiley and Roey Kleiman also scored. Daniel Levey assisted on two goals, while Daniel Wolfe and Seth Cohen each had one assist. Goalie Nick Cimarusti stopped 28 shots.

Friday’s Varsity Results

Girls Tennis

Stevenson 8, Glenbrook South 0: At the Vernon Hills Athletic Complex, the Patriots (15-0) remained unbeaten with straight-set wins in every match. Zoe Taylor (6-0, 6-1), Dhwani Kumar (6-2, 7-5) and Maria Sarabia (6-1, 6-3) were the singles winners. Vinaya Rao/Kate Harvey (6-1, 6-2), Alexandra Zoubareva/Elizabeth Ferdman (6-2, 6-2), Gwen Heidkamp/Paige Nierman (6-0, 6-2), Alyssa Glaser/Samantha Burger (6-1, 6-2), and Bronwyn Heidkamp/Shelby Liu (6-3, 6-1) earned the doubles victories.

Football

Warren 30, Stevenson 27: The Blue Devils (4-2, 4-0) scored on a 93-yard kickoff return with 1:10 remaining, moments after Tyler Vincent’s 5-yard run had given the visiting Patriots (3-3, 1-2) the lead. Vincent, returning from injury, ran for 171 yards on 13 carries. SHS led at halftime 14-10 behind Jack Sorenson’s legs and arm. He ran for a 1-yard TD and connected with Henry Marchese from four yards out. Marchese caught 10 passes for 134 yards. Sorenson finished 15-of-26 passing for 180 yards. – Journal and Topics, News-Sun, Daily Herald (+)

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Graduation Cap and Gown, Announcement Orders

Seniors will have their graduation meeting during the activity period this Thursday. Seniors can order their graduation caps and gowns, and graduation announcements, between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday, October 15-16, in the Patriot Lobby by Room 2400.

Need Halloween Ideas? Stop by the Thespian Costume Sale

It’s back! We’ve cleaned out the costume storage room for the “Nearly Annual Thespian Costume Sale.” Items will be on sale Wednesday and Thursday in the Glass Commons during all lunch periods. Drop by to browse our racks to find Halloween costume inspiration! Items range from $25 to $3. Bring cash!

PPA Bake Sale Wednesday Afternoon

Don’t miss the PPA Bake Sale Wednesday afternoon in the Wood and Glass Commons! Pies, donuts, Puppy Chow and more. All items are $1.

Showcase Auditions Sign-Ups Start October 14

Audition sign-ups for Showcase, the Patriot Parent Association’s annual student variety show, will be held Wednesday and Thursday, October 14-15, and Tuesday and Wednesday, October 20-22, during all lunch periods in the Wood and Glass Commons. What kinds of acts are the PPA looking for? Visit www.d125.org/showcase for the answer to that question, the audition sign-up form, plus other important information.

Yearbook Re-Take Days for Students (Grades 9-11), Staff

Did you have a bad hair day when your yearbook photo was taken in August? Never had your yearbook photo taken? You’ll have a second chance during yearbook re-take days Tuesday and Friday, October 20 and 23, from 10:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. This opportunity is available only for freshmen, sophomores and juniors (plus SHS teachers and staff). Seniors who want to have their yearbook portrait re-taken must contact Visual Image Photography at www.vipis.com or call 800-577-9570.

Missing Something? Stop By Room 2416

If you’re missing a gym bag, swim bag, lunch bag or any other item, stop by the lost and found area in Room 2416, the West Attendance Office. Please consider marking your name on your items so they can be returned promptly if found. You can also look on the Lost and Found web page to see what items have been turned into Room 2400.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention Seniors: Got a question about your college application? Trying to figure out how to make the Common App work for you? Why not drop by the College/Career Center anytime between 7:30 and 8:15 tomorrow? The CCC will host Drop-In Days for seniors every second day of the week until November 3. Join us if you have a quick college question.

Attention juniors and seniors, the following colleges are coming this week to visit Stevenson: Lawrence University, Lawrence Technological University, University of Connecticut, Illinois Wesleyan University, Denison University, Illinois Institute of Technology, Smith College, Bradley University, UCLA, College of Wooster, University of Kansas, Hamilton College, Ohio State University, Rhodes College, Williams College, University of Cincinnati, University of Mount Union, University of Puget Sound, Villanova University, Middlebury College, Washington and Lee University, Princeton University, Wesleyan University, University of Tulsa, Otterbein University, Lehigh University, Kendall College, Mount Mercy College, Indiana State University, Tufts University, Lewis University, Luther College, Northern Michigan University, University of Alabama, Pace University, Georgetown University, Whittier College and Iowa Wesleyan University. Please check Naviance for the dates and times. Remember to check our website for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit on Naviance. Remember to print your confirmation page and have it signed two days prior to the college visit, and have the page signed by your teacher.

CLUB NEWS

Anime Club meets today. Join us at 3:30 in Room 1414 to relax, watch movies, and enjoy snacks! Everyone is welcome!

Interested in earning volunteer hours by doing service projects in the local community? Want to build leadership skills? Interested in making new friends? Interact Club, the student branch of Rotary International, will have its first meeting on Monday, from 3:30-4:30 in Room 1500-1502. Pizza will be served. Come join us!

Food Revolution Club members, please meet in Room 1406 during the activity period on Thursday for a culinary demonstration from Chef Brian Schrieber from Kendall College. We will be comparing and contrasting store-bought convenience food used in salad preparation versus local, fresh ingredients. Interested in joining the club? Please contact our sponsor, Sara Lohrmann, at slohrmann@d125.org.

The Scholastic Bowl teams will meet for the first time in Rooms 1500/1502 today. If you’re a fan of Jeopardy or trivia games, please come join our nationally ranked team! If you have any questions, contact Mr. Fedewa.

Are you interested in weather and always wanted to understand it better? The Meteorology Club meets at 3:45 p.m. today in Room 2500. Contact Mr. Eriksen for more information at seriksen@d125.org.

The Magicians Club meets today from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in Room 6066! Veteran and aspiring magicians are both welcome. Learn the craft, help aspiring magicians, and prepare for performances outside of school! For more information, contact Mr. Flanagan.

The Black Association of Stevenson Students will host its first E-Board Elections at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, October 14 in Room 1414. The club is seeking students willing to participate in planning field trips, guest speakers, and other grand events for the school. Positions for election include president, vice-president, secretary, and marketing/media coordinator.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration webpage and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

INTRAMURALS

Open Field Softball is available every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:45 until October 27 on the JV softball field. All softball players are welcome. Click here for the fall schedule.

Open Diamond Baseball ends this week. The remaining dates are today, Tuesday and Thursday. Workouts take place on the sophomore baseball field from 3:45-6 p.m.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

State’s new school ranking system gives little weight to academic performance (+)

McHenry High School teachers’ strike will continue through at least Tuesday

State senator’s bill would address school closings (+)

Lack of Legionella help from state, feds frustrates Elgin U46 leader

Public angered by sudden changes to Chicago Board of Ed’s participation rules (+)

Growing number of deer taking toll on Joliet Junior College grounds

Student convinces UI professor to move test for Cubs game

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

College debt squeezing parents, students simultaneously

Court strikes down payments to college athletes

College rankings fail to measure influence of the institution

Meet the former New York state schools chief replacing Arne Duncan

Survey of college admissions officers highlights continuing trends

Why does a strong real estate market push people to forgo getting an education?

The Education Department isn’t warning students about beauty schools

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.