Friday, September 25, 2015

Homecoming Dance Parking, Drop Off Information

Students coming to Saturday night’s Homecoming Dance must park or be dropped off in parking lot B or E, then walk through the building to the Field House. Parking lot D will be unavailable, and the Field House entrance will be locked.

38 Seniors Named National Commended Students

Thirty-eight seniors have been named Commended Students in the 2016 National Merit Scholarship Program. They are among 34,000 students who are being recognized for their exceptional academic promise. Although they will not continue in the 2016 competition for National Merit Scholarship awards, Commended Students placed among the top 5% of the more than 1.5 million students who took the 2014 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test.

Stevenson’s Commended Students are: Ishita Aggarwal, Eugenie Bang, Cameron Bernstein, Tiffany Chen, Maya Cohen, Revell Cozzi, Lauren Cuasay, Constance Du, Alan Fang, Chloe Feast, Jessy Feng, Hannah Francis, Helen Huang, Nathan Ji, Shubhangi Joshi, Pratik Kamat, Caroline Kim, Dae Hyun Kim, Yelim Kim, David Luo, Teresa Mao, Ashley Mathews, Jared Millman, Bijan Moazezi, Madhavi Murali, Vikaas Ranganathan, Jessica Rath, Megan Rivkin, Matthew Ryan, Elizabeth Shakhnazaryan, Nathan Shlobin, Nicole Strezewski, Niveda Tennety, Matthew Treiber, Ajay Varadhan, Max Wei, Natalie Wu and Jennifer Zhang.

Statesman Honored for Articles on Self-Expression

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, has been honored for a package of articles about self-expression published in its May 29 issue. The paper received a Certificate of Merit in the “Single Subject – Feature Package” category from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association as part of its 32nd Gold Circle Awards program. Among the students responsible for the articles were Alexandra Shafran, Sabrina Szos, Joylyn Yang and Nikol Safronova, as well as editors Sarah Verschoor and Brenda Reyn. The program attracted more than 11,000 entries in the newspaper, magazine, yearbooks and digital media categories from students at the collegiate and secondary school levels throughout the United States.

Patriot Nation, Got News?

We want to hear from you! Share your stories, photos, videos, and more with us. Tag us using #shareSHS across all social channels, or email us at shareSHS@d125.org and get social at Stevenson. Big or small, we want it all. You just might see your news in the spotlight.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Girls Golf

Stevenson 190, Lake Zurich 231: Alexia Fidman earned medalist honors at Crane’s Landing with a 44. She was followed by Myra Peterson (45), Olivia Stomberg (49) and Maddie Schaetzlein (52).

Boys Golf

Stevenson 155, Libertyville 158: All five Patriots scored under 40 at Pine Meadow Golf Course. James Dvorak led SHS with a 38, while Kamaren Sandhu, Jackson Bussell, Jake Labow and Zach Orlowsky each shot 39. – Daily Herald

Boys Ice Hockey

Stevenson 3, New Trier White 1

Boys Soccer

Stevenson 1, Buffalo Grove 1: Jun Min put the host Patriots (6-2-1) on the board with about four minutes remaining in the first half, and the Bison tallied the tying score in the second. – Pioneer Press

Girls Volleyball

Lake Forest d. Stevenson, 25-17, 21-25, 25-22: Jori Radtke had 10 kills and Isabella Milejczyk added 8 for the Patriots (19-5, 4-1) in the Sports Center. Radtke also made 6 digs and had 2 blocks. Katie Collins served 6 aces and Corissa Kurth dished out 21 assists. Morgan Berland led SHS with 21 digs. Chloe Robinson served 2 aces and Zoe Graflund had 2 blocks. – Daily Herald

Former Patriot Linemen to Meet in Columbus

Two former Patriot linemen will see each other when their college teams play tomorrow. Logan Gaskey (Class of 2013) and Zach Novoselsky (Class of 2014) are offensive linemen for top-ranked Ohio State and Western Michigan, respectively, which face off in Columbus, Ohio at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. The game will be televised on ABC. Novoselsky is the Broncos’ second-string right guard; Gaskey is a reserve lineman for the Buckeyes.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Want Homecoming Tickets? Buy Them at the Door

The only way to get tickets for Saturday’s Homecoming Dance is to buy them at the door for $30 each. You can pay in cash, use your school ID to pay through your Patriot Dollars account, or with a check made out to Stevenson High School. Only SHS students can buy tickets at the door. Non-SHS students may not buy tickets at the door. The dance starts at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Field House. Students must park or get dropped off in parking lot B or E. The Field House entrance will be locked.

Student Art Contest for Room 8080

The Mathematics and Science Divisions are sponsoring a student artwork contest to decorate their newly renovated office in Room 8080 of the East Building. The artwork will be displayed prominently on glass panels behind the division assistant’s desk at the entrance of the room. Artwork should capture the artist’s interpretation of students’ learning experiences within Stevenson’s Mathematics and Science classes. Students can submit artwork ideas individually, or as a team. Multiple submissions are allowed. Click here to see contest details. The deadline to submit artwork is Wednesday. Interested students are encouraged to visit Room 8080 to see the glass panel.

Report Bullying Through the In Case of Crisis App

Have you checked the In Case of Crisis app on your iPad? There’s been a content update to add a link to report bullying. You can provide information anonymously about bullying, harassment or intimidation. If you don’t have the app on your iPad, and would like help downloading it, stop by the SMARTdesk in the Link.

Be Smart, Be Safe at Railroad Crossings

Did you know that it is illegal to cross over, under or around a railroad crossing gate when it is lowered or being raised? Someone found guilty faces a mandatory $250 fine or 25 hours of court-ordered community service for the first offense. A second offense brings a mandatory $500 fine. Many pedestrians are killed or injured each year because they misjudged the speed of an approaching train, or were fixated on a stopped train and failed to notice another coming on the opposite track.

CLUB NEWS

Are you interested in weather and always wanted to understand it better? The Meteorology Club meets at 3:45 p.m. Monday in Room 2500. Contact Mr. Eriksen for more information at seriksen@d125.org.

The Magicians Club meets Monday from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in Room 6066! Veteran and aspiring magicians are both welcome. Learn the craft, help aspiring magicians, and prepare for performances outside of school! For more information, feel free to contact Nathan Ji at natji6@students.d125.org.

Do you love animals? Do you want to help a great cause? The Animal Welfare Club will be making fleece blankets for local animal shelters at its next meeting on Tuesday. Come out to help support our local shelters while getting a community service hour! The meeting will be at 3:45 in Room 2500. We hope to see you there!

Come to French Club on Tuesday! Enjoy delicious French snacks! Practice speaking French! Learn about cultures of the French-speaking world! Meet us in Room 2632 at 3:30.

Ted-Ed Club: Have you ever been inspired by a TED talk before? If so, why not create your own? Join the Ted-Ed club! Our first meeting will be on Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. in Room 1414.

Interested in raising cancer awareness and planning fundraisers? Join Relay for Life Club. Our first meeting will be Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in Room 1508. Our club pairs with Buffalo Grove High School to organize the Relay for Life event. We also plan awareness days and fundraisers at SHS.

ATHLETICS

Anyone interested in boys bowling: There is an important first meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the West Staff Dining Room. Student-athletes and their parents are invited. Come meet the new coach!

CAREER EXPLORATION

Save the date! There will be a Health Careers Night on Wednesday, November 4 at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge from 6-8 p.m. The event will be held in the Grainger Atrium and Yacktman Children’s Pavillion. Learn about health career choices; talk with people who work in various health-related careers; and obtain information about educational requirements and salary ranges. Advance registration is recommended. For more information and to register, please call HealthAdvisor at 1-855-312-KIDS; mention class code 8P54.

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

COLLEGE NEWS

If you are an outstanding senior student who is interested in the University of Notre Dame, you might want to apply for its prestigious Hesburgh-Yusko scholarship. This scholarship provides $25,000 per year towards the cost of attendance at ND, plus opportunities to engage in learning seminars and summer enrichment programs.  Stevenson can nominate one or two applicants who display outstanding leadership, academic achievement, a sincere commitment to service and solid moral character.  Applications are available in the CCC and are due October 23.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Prospect Heights District 23 teachers reject contract offer

Judge says Crystal Lake South must tear down its bleachers

Three Elgin schools to remain closed due to legionella bacteria

Former Gavin Middle School teacher pleads guilty to sexual assault

Schools made cuts while Niles administrators collected $450K in perks

Principal for new Dyett High School reprimanded in previous job

Aurora police investigating graffiti around Metea Valley High

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Seattle school board halts suspensions for elementary students

Princeton cleared of anti-Asian discrimination claims

Fordham rescinds honorary degree to Bill Cosby

New tool for colleges shows what works (and doesn’t) to curb binge drinking

How Dartmouth is getting students to help prevent sexual assault

Making college more affordable, one text at a time

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.