Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Color Fun(d) Run Coming Sunday

The Color Fun(d) Run starts at 9 a.m. Sunday. Register today to receive a free T-shirt while supplies last. Race packets may be picked up on Friday during lunch in the Wood Commons and after school until 4 p.m. Or, stop by Road Runner in Kildeer on Saturday between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to pick up your race packet. Runners may register the day of the race until 8:30 a.m., but will not receive a Color Fun(d) Run T-shirt. Go to www.classy.org/shscolorfundrun to sign up.

Fall Play Looks at Prejudice, Plagiarism

The Fine Arts Division will present the fall theatrical production, “Third,” in the Studio Theatre Thursday through Saturday. Showtimes are 7 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with a 2 p.m. matinee performance also set for Saturday. Admission is $5. Wendy Wasserstein’s play focuses on a college professor who accuses one of her students of plagiarism after he submitted an essay that she believes was too sophisticated to have come from him.

Stand Strong Receives $625K Federal Grant

The Stand Strong Coalition, of which Stevenson is a member, has received a five-year, $625,000 grant from the federal government to assist in its efforts to reduce illegal substance use by District 125 youth. The grant will provide a major boost to the coalition, which was started in 2014 and is led by SHS parent Jamie Epstein. Stand Strong is sponsoring “Not My Kid!? 2” in the Performing Arts Center on Wednesday, September 30.

Communication Arts Teacher to Talk in Peoria October 1

Communication Arts teacher Christy Koulouris will be giving a presentation with two Loyola University professors at the Illinois Reading Conference in Peoria on Friday, October 2. Koulouris will join Dr. Jane Hunt, Dr. Sabina Neugebauer and Dr. Aimee Ellis to discuss academic language, including strategies to support the building blocks of reading and writing across disciplines. Koulouris is working toward her master’s degree in educational reading and literacy from Loyola, and Hunt, Neugebauer and Ellis are her professors.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Saturday’s Varsity Results

Girls Tennis

Stevenson at Fremd Invitational: The Patriots won six of seven flights en route to capturing the tournament title. SHS amassed a team score of 54 points, ahead of Glenbrook North (45) and Glenbrook South (35). Zoe Taylor won the No. 1 singles title, losing only two games in three matches, and posted a 6-0, 6-0 decision in the championship match. In No. 1 doubles, Kate Harvey and Vinaya Rao knocked off the top seed from Glenbrook North in the title match, rallying for a 4-6, 6-1 (8) victory. Stevenson’s other champions were Dhwani Kumar in No. 2 singles and Maria Sarabia in No. 3 singles, plus the doubles teams of No. 3 Gwenna Heidkamp/Paige Nierman, No. 4 Bronwyn Heidkamp/Samantha Burger.

Boys Golf

Stevenson at Deerfield Invitational and Zion-Benton Invitational: The Patriots split into two squads, finishing fourth at the Deerfield event and 11th at the Z-B invite. SHS posted a score of 306 at Deerfield, behind Glenbrook South (294), Loyola (299) and Lake Forest (304). Jackson Bussell and Kamaren Sandhu each shot a 74 at Twin Orchard Country Club, with tiebreakers placing Bussell in sixth overall and Sandhu 10th. Jake Labow and Jedi Jhu each shot 79. The Patriots placed 11th at Shepherd’s Crook Golf Course with a team score of 345, 23 strokes behind champion Mundelein. Kevin Chin led SHS with an 83 and Scott James had an 84. – Daily Herald

Girls Golf

Stevenson at Vernon Hills Invitational: The Patriots finished fourth at Vernon Hills Golf Club with a score of 384, behind Geneva (361), Conant (366) and Lemont (368). Katie Hannahs finished ninth overall with a 91, and Olivia Stomberg was 10th with a 92. – Daily Herald

Friday’s Varsity Results

Football

Stevenson 38, Lake Zurich 35: Jack Sorenson accounted for five touchdowns as the host Patriots (2-1, 1-0) held off a late rally by the Bears (0-3, 0-1) in the North Suburban Lake opener for both schools. In the first half, Sorenson threw three TD passes to Matt Norton (25, 21 and 26 yards), and also ran for a 6-yard score as SHS built a 28-7 lead. Sorenson’s fourth touchdown pass, a 44-yarder to Michael Marchese, made the score 38-21 with 7:49 remaining. Lake Zurich scored twice in 28 seconds, aided by a successful onside kickoff, and pulled within 38-35 with 1:40 to go. The Bears tried another onside kick, but it was recovered by the Patriots, who then ran out the clock. Sorenson finished the night 17-for-23 passing for 278 yards. Stevenson also received a 30-yard field goal from Peter Drozdzewicz. – Chicago Tribune, Daily Herald | Stevenson Broadcast Network highlights

Girls Tennis

Stevenson 7, Warren 0: In Gurnee, the Patriots improved to 8-0 by winning every match in straight sets. Defending state champions Vinaya Rao and Kate Harvey were 6-1, 6-1 winners at No. 1 doubles. They were followed by No. 2 Elizabeth Ferdman/Alexandra Zoubareva (6-1, 6-0), No. 3 Paige Nierman/Gwen Heidkamp (6-1, 6-0) and No. 4 Samantha Burger/Bronwyn Heidkamp (6-1, 6-0). The singles victories were posted by No. 1 Zoe Taylor (6-0, 6-1), No. 2 Dhwani Kumar (6-0, 6-0) and No. 3 Maria Sarabia (6-1, 6-1).

Girls Volleyball

Stevenson d. Mundelein, 25-13, 25-16: Jori Radtke had 10 kills and 7 digs, and Corissa Kurth added 16 assists for the Patriots (12-4, 2-0) in the Sports Center. – Chicago Tribune

Girls Golf

Libertyville 164, Stevenson 171: At Willow Glen Golf Course, the Patriots had their best round of the season. Alexia Fidman led SHS with a 40, followed by 42’s from Myra Peterson and Maddie Schaetzlein, and a 47 from Olivia Stomberg.

Patriettes Selling Bears, Bulls Raffle Tickets

The Patriettes are selling raffle tickets at the next two home football games to raise money for their trip to the National Dance Alliance High School National Championship in Orlando in February. The prize on September 18 will be four tickets to the Bears game against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday, December 6. The prize on September 25 will be two tickets to the Bulls game against the Indiana Pacers on Monday, November 16. Click here for more details.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Auditions for Just the Guys, Jazz Etc., Ladyjazz

Auditions for the co-curricular vocal groups Just the Guys, Jazz Etc., and Ladyjazz will take place next week in the Choir Room. These are small, select vocal groups that specialize in singing pop/contemporary a cappella music. The Just the Guys audition will be held at 7 p.m. tonight, Jazz Etc. is at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, and Ladyjazz takes place at 7 p.m. Thursday. Students should pick up important audition materials in the Choir Room or by emailing the choir director, Alice Nuteson, at  anuteson@d125.org. There is music to prepare prior to the audition.

PPA Bake Sale on Wednesday

Don’t miss the PPA Bake Sale Wednesday afternoon in the Wood and Glass Commons! Pies, donuts, Puppy Chow and more. All items are $1.

Parent Information Meeting for Trip to China

The parent information meeting for next summer’s 12-day China educational tour, “Connecting Culture and Service in China,” will be held at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Room 7096. Students will earn summer school credit and an estimated 15 service hours from the tour. This opportunity is open to current freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Come to learn more on Wednesday.

AP European History Trip Information Meeting

All current AP European History students, plus any juniors who took the course last year, are eligible to participate in the AP European History Summer Travel Experience in 2016. The 12-day trip will includes visits to Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Vienna, Ljubljana and Venice. A parent information meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Recital Hall. For more information, visit the Student Travel Experiences page.

Fashion Trip to NYC Planned for Next June

The Family and Consumer Science Department is sponsoring a fashion industry-focused trip to New York City next summer from June 6-9. If you have taken any of the following courses, you are eligible to go: Introduction to Clothing and Design, Clothing and Design, Advanced Clothing and Design, Interior Design, or Fashion Merchandising and Design. There will be an informational meeting on Wednesday, October 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. Flyers are available in Room 1410 for more information. If you have any questions or cannot attend the meeting, see Mrs. Erickson in Room 1410. Hope to see you on October 28.

CLUB NEWS

Freshman Class Board will meet today after school in Room 6022. Homecoming is just around the corner. FCB has a lot to offer friends, fun, leadership opportunities community hours and snacks. All freshmen are welcome to come.

Chess Club meets almost every Tuesday and Thursday in Room 7022. Meetings run from 3:30 to approximately 5 p.m.

Animal Welfare Club is having its first meeting today at 3:45 in Room 2500. Research says that petting a dog reduces your stress, so come meet Monty the therapy dog and de-stress. We will also start planning for future meetings, so come with ideas about events or speakers, and fundraisers that our club can run. All animal lovers are invited. Hope to see you there.

Anime Club will meet this afternoon. Join us in Room 1414 to relax, watch movies, and enjoy snacks! Everyone is welcome!

Want to be heard? Join the Speech and Drama team! Practice writing and performing your very own speech, or take acting to the next level with competitions against other schools. Come to Room 2616 at 3:30 Tuesday for general information and snacks!

Do you want to help change the world? Stevenson’s very own Gay-Straight Alliance meets on Tuesdays. Come on down for support, friends and fun. We meet in Room 6012 right after school.

The Stevenson Styler Fashion Magazine will have its second meeting to begin planning the fall/winter edition on Wednesday at 3:30 in Room 1612. Couldn’t come last week? No big deal, bring your good ideas this week! We hope to see you Wednesday!

Guitar Club will be holding its first meeting after school in the Orchestra Room on Thursday. Guitar Club is primarily a casual, drop-in group in which students practice and jam. You can either bring your own guitars, or use one of the classical acoustic guitars or basses available through the Music Department. Complete beginners and advanced players are welcome, as well as singers and songwriters.

Zumba Club will have an informational meeting at 3:35 p.m. Thursday in Room 2816.

Attention all interested members of Psychology Club, we will have our first meeting of the year after school Thursday in Room 2612. All are welcome! Come and find out how the mind works and how you can improve your own.

Attention transfer students or Stevenson Patriots In New Situations: You are invited to a pizza party during your lunch period on Friday in Room 7096. Drinks, snacks and pizza are free. We will be planning our monthly Friday night field trips for the 2015-16 school year. Please join us! Questions? Contact Ms. Kellogg at skellogg@d125.org or Ms. D’Angelo-Hermes at jdangelo-hermes@d125.org.

Ted-Ed Club: Have you ever been inspired by a TED talk before? If so, why not create your own? Join the Ted-Ed club! Our first meeting will be on Wednesday, September 30 at 7:30 a.m. in Room 1414.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention Seniors: Got a question about your college application? Trying to figure out how to make the Common App work for you? Why not drop by the College/Career Center anytime between 7:30 and 8:15 tomorrow? The CCC will host Drop-In Days for seniors every second day of the week until November 3. Join us if you have a quick college question.

Attention juniors and seniors: Learn about the academic programs, on- and off-campus resources and opportunities, and the admission process for the University of Wisconsin-Madison during a special program at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, September 24 at Libertyville High School.

Juniors and seniors: Please check Naviance daily to see an updated list of colleges that have scheduled a visit to Stevenson. The following colleges will be visiting next week: Southern Illinois University, University of Richmond, University of Texas, University of Arkansas, Gettysburg College, Lynchburg College, Whitman College, Muhlenberg College, Suffolk University, Boston College, Furman University and Carroll University. Please check Naviance for the dates and times. Remember to check our website for instructions on how to sign up for a college visit on Naviance. Please remember to print your confirmation page and have it signed two days prior to the college visit and have the page signed by your teacher.

ATHLETICS

If you missed last week’s NCAA Night and are thinking about playing college sports, check out the College/Career Center’s NCAA eligibility guide.

INTRAMURALS

All ballplayers are welcome to take part in Open Field Baseball on the sophomore baseball field. Open Field Baseball dates are listed on the baseball web page and the Intramurals page.

CAREER EXPLORATION

The Northwestern Medical Explorers program is accepting applications for the upcoming year. The application deadline is September 30. You must be at least 15 years old, a sophomore or junior, in good academic standing, and able to commit to two years of the program. Find out more and apply here.

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration web page and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Minnesota provost named new president of Illinois Wesleyan University

McHenry High School teachers vote to authorize strike

Woodstock residents wondering if District 200 should consolidate high schools

District 300 says cheerleaders’ skirts are too short to wear to school

University of Illinois emails highlight medical school struggle

Woodstock High choral director finalist for Illinois Teacher of the Year

Galena superintendent dies after brief battle with lung cancer

Lincoln-Way District 210 hires interim business manager for “different perspective”

U-46 considering all-day kindergarten throughout district

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

After years of cuts, school districts face teacher shortages

Colleges flush with cash saddle poorest students with debt

Report says expensive tuition is not the source of student debt crisis

CDC study: School lunches healthier, but fewer students are buying them

President Obama’s new “College Scorecard” is a torrent of data

Research group suggests teens should start school no earlier than 10 a.m.

Federal changes mean FAFSA will accept 2-year-old tax data

Colorado loosens high school graduation requirements

Google Chromebooks make up nearly half of all K-12 device sales

University of Cincinnati gambles with building boom

Free freshman year? Texas State hopes to try it out

Butler University replaces student newspaper adviser with school spokesman

Meet Hank Green, one of America’s most popular science teachers

University of Nebraska graduate pays parking tickets … 40 years later

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.