Thursday, September 10, 2015

New Law Provides Powerful Lesson for Students

The new state law requiring Illinois colleges to give credit for Advanced Placement scores of 3 or higher was a powerful reminder to SHS students who worked to make it a reality. “They saw that they can make law happen,” State Representative Carol Sente told Pioneer Press. “It doesn’t get any better than that.” The Vernon Hills Democrat admitted that when she first heard from students and their teachers at Stevenson, the need for change didn’t seem apparent. But after doing some research, Sente became convinced and championed the legislation through the state House.

Northern Illinois University has become the first college in the state to update its AP credit policy to reflect the new legislation. Even though the law doesn’t take effect until 2016, NIU has made its change effective with this fall’s incoming freshman class.

WUIS, the National Public Radio affiliate in Springfield, spoke with 2015 graduate Corey Weil, who was one of the students involved in the AP credit lobbying effort.

Journalism Teacher Chosen to Present at Conference

Journalism teacher Dean Bradshaw has been selected to present two sessions at the Fall National High School Journalism Convention in November. His talks will be among more than 300 instructional sessions and other activities led by other journalism advisers from across the country, as well as award-winning writers, photographers and multimedia journalists.

Bradshaw will lead two sessions. “No, You Can’t Say ‘Thumbs Up’” will highlight the common traits to excellent movie review writing, as well as ways to avoid cliches. He also will discuss alternative types of reviews for student audiences. His second session, “Newspaper and the Principal: Making Each Other Nervous,” will highlight ways to create a healthy relationship between the principal, adviser and school newspaper staff. In addition to giving some tips, Bradshaw also will address concerns felt on each side and examine the different perspectives involved.

The convention, which will be held in Orlando, is sponsored by the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association.

Communication Arts Teacher, IATE Earn Honor

Communication Arts teacher Kimberly Musolf is the new president of the Illinois Association of Teachers of English, which saw its membership grow by more than 11% over the last year. In recognition of IATE’s growth, she and other affiliate leaders will be honored at the National Council of Teachers of English convention in November. They will receive the Kent D. Williamson Affiliate Membership Award.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Wednesday’s Varsity Results

Boys Cross Country

Stevenson at Artman Memorial Invitational: The Patriots dominated an eight-team field at Melas Park in Mount Prospect, claiming the first five places and six of the top 10. Jared Borowsky won the race in 15:32.9, followed by Paul Udoni (15:59.4), Nikita Smyrnov (16:20.4), Brett Lucas (16:24.4) and Caleb Oh (16:32.1). Adam Butler was ninth (16:39.40). Jakob Bloomfield was 21st (17:44.3). SHS had a final team score of 15 points, followed by Oswego East (75) and Niles Notre Dame (85). – Official Results

Girls Cross Country

Stevenson at Artman Memorial Invitational: The Patriots edged Rosary, 38-39, for the team title at Melas Park in Mount Prospect. Isabelle Sparreo won top honors with a time of 18:17.3. Jessica Philipp was third (19:12.8), Shea Kirby ninth (20:35.0) and Gabriela Jagielo 10th (20:36.6). Lauren Appell placed 15th (21:03.0), Jessica Woodard was 16th (21:14.1) and Sydney Pacernick was 18th (22:11.0). – Official Results

Girls Volleyball

Stevenson d. Warren, 25-22, 22-25, 25-18: Jori Radtke recorded 21 kills, 15 digs and 4 aces for the visiting Patriots (11-4) in their North Suburban Conference opener. Jordyn Taborek had 8 kills and Emma Bufe added 5 along with a pair of solo blocks. Morgan Berland made 17 digs and served 4 aces, and Corissa Kurth dished out 21 assists. – Daily Herald

Girls Swimming and Diving

Stevenson 106, Zion-Benton 75: The host Patriots won the first five events to build a comfortable cushion that the Zee-Bees could not overcome. Seven Pats won individual events: Kathy Xiang (diving, 187.00), Morgan Bosse (100 back, 1:05.37), Danielle Kameristy (500 free, 5:56.45), Mila Wawer (100 butterfly, 1:05.82), Irune Andres (50 free, 27.21), Rachel Song (200 IM, 2:21.67) and Iza Pelka (200 free, 2:01.36). The 200 free relay unit of Bosse, Song, Ashley Carollo and Callie Coffey won in a time of 1:46.49, while the 200 medley relay squad of Carollo, Andres, Sasha Kokhan and Elyse Spearman had a winning time of 1:58.25. – Complete varsity/JV results

Girls Tennis

Stevenson 8, Vernon Hills 0: The Patriots (7-0) surrendered only four games all afternoon. Singles winners were Zoe Taylor (6-0, 6-1), Dhwani Kumar (6-0, 6-0), Stephanie Burger (6-0, 6-0) and Maria Sarabia (6-0, 6-1). In doubles, the winning teams were Vinaya Rao/Kate Harvey (6-0, 6-0), Alexandra Zoubareva/Elizabeth Ferdman (6-0, 6-0), Gwenna and Bronwyn Heidkamp (6-0, 6-0) and Alyssa Glaser/Shelby Liu (6-1, 6-1).

Girls Golf

Stevenson 181, Vernon Hills 223: Alexia Fidman won medalist honors, shooting a 40 at Crane’s Landing. Olivia Hancock posted a 45, Olivia Stomberg had a 47 and Maddie Schaetzlein carded a 48.

Tuesday’s Varsity Results

Boys Cross Country

Stevenson 15, Libertyville 45; Stevenson 20, Lake Forest 39: Jared Borowsky had the top time at Half Day Forest Preserve. He covered the course in 15:45.48. Paul Udoni was third (16:03.17), Caleb Oh finished fourth (16:11.86), Brett Lucas placed fifth (16:19.11), Adam Butler took seventh (16:49.02) and Nikita Smyrnov ended ninth (17:10.41).

Girls Swimming and Diving

Stevenson 109, Glenbrook North 73: In Northbrook, Rachel Song won the 100 backstroke and swam on two victorious relays for the Patriots. Song captured the 100 back in 1:02.49, was part of the 200 medley relay with Ashley Carollo, Irune Andres and Iza Pelka (1:53.80), and joined Carollo, Casey Kirby and Morgan Bosse in claiming the 400 free relay (3:44.73). Kirby won the 200 free (2:00.53), Pelka touched first in the 100 butterfly (1:00.59), Andres took the 100 breaststroke (1:09.69), and Kathy Xiang won the 1-meter diving (191.65). – Complete Results

Meeting for Baseball Parents Tuesday Evening

Parents who have a student trying out for baseball next spring are invited to a parent meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the West Staff Dining Room by the Sports Center.

Athletic Director Providing Concussion Guidance

Athletic Director Trish Betthauser is helping three of Stevenson’s consortium districts — 96, 102 and 103 — prepare to implement concussion protocols in their junior high schools next year. A new state law requires junior high schools to follow the same procedures for determining when student-athletes can return to competition after suffering a concussion.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

9/11 Remembrance Ceremony Friday Morning

Students Helping Soldiers will hold its annual 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony at 10 a.m. Friday at the Garden of Peace, Hope and Remembrance by parking lot B. All students are invited to the event, which honors everyday first responders, military personnel, veterans and the casualties of September 11, 2001. Friday night, Students Helping Soldiers will honor veterans at the home football game during the “Touchdown for Troops” Military Appreciation Night.

Spirit Fest is Coming This Saturday

Don’t miss Spirit Fest on Saturday. The National Honor Society will have several new attractions, plus there will be a chance to set a new world record. Spirit Fest starts at 5 p.m. in the Stadium, and runs until 9, when the night concludes with a fireworks show. Before the fireworks, everyone in attendance will be invited to take part in a world-record attempt at the most people taking part in a water balloon toss. There also will be games, music, food, raffles and the 5K Spirit Walk. Eighty percent of this year’s Spirit Fest funds raised will benefit the Hydrocephalus Association, while the other 20% will go to the Stevenson Foundation’s Kids In Need (KIN) Fund. A minimum donation of $10 is requested, but any donation amount will be accepted. Click here to register for Spirit Fest, or to make an online donation.

It’s Not Too Late to Sign Up for the Color Fun(d) Run

Don’t miss the annual Color Fun(d) Run at 9 a.m. Sunday, September 20 at Stevenson. It’s a 5k run-walk for charity. Grab your friends, form a team and register today! Go to www.classy.org/shscolorfundrun to sign up! The next 100 students who sign up will get a free T-shirt.

Learn About the ACT’s Updated Writing Section

Did you know the writing section of the ACT exam has changed, starting with the first test date this Saturday? Any students that would like to review the new format or practice the new writing section can visit the Communication Arts tutors: Ms. Rabe and Mr. Kramer in the ILC, and Ms. Olkanetskaya in the ELC. For more information on writing section changes, click here.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Interested in participating in a Career Shadow? The Career Exploration Program can connect you with a professional that will host you for a day-long job shadow in a number of different areas, including healthcare, business, engineering and others.  Career shadows provide you the opportunity to experience what it is really like on the job, and can connect you to lifelong mentors that can help guide your career direction and future. Please visit the Career Exploration webpage and fill out a Career Shadow application or email Mrs. Willock in the College and Career Center at dwillock@d125.org.

CLUB NEWS

Animal Welfare Club is having its first meeting on Tuesday at 3:45 in Room 2500. Research says that petting a dog reduces your stress, so come meet Monty the therapy dog and de-stress. We will also start planning for future meetings, so come with ideas about events or speakers, and fundraisers that our club can run. All animal lovers are invited. Hope to see you there.

Chess Club meets almost every Tuesday and Thursday in Room 7022. Meetings run from 3:30 to approximately 5 p.m.

Want to be heard? Join the Speech and Drama team! Practice writing and performing your very own speech, or take acting to the next level with competitions against other schools. Come to Room 2616 at 3:30 Tuesday for general information and snacks!

Guitar Club will be holding its first meeting after school in the Orchestra Room on Thursday, September 17. Guitar Club is primarily a casual, drop-in group in which students practice and jam. You can either bring your own guitars, or use one of the classical acoustic guitars or basses available through the Music Department. Complete beginners and advanced players are welcome, as well as singers and songwriters.

Zumba Club will have an informational meeting at 3:35 p.m. Thursday, September 17 in Room 2816.

The Magicians Club meets for the first time on Monday, September 21 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in Room 6066! Veteran and aspiring magicians are both welcome. Learn the craft, help aspiring magicians, and prepare for performances outside of school! For more information feel free to contact Nathan Ji at natji6@students.d125.org. See you soon!

COLLEGE NEWS

“Write Stuff” for Seniors: Would you like some assistance with your college essay writing or personal statement? The College Counselors are holding their final “Write Stuff” essay workshop at 9:30 a.m. Friday (a Late Arrival day) in the College/Career Center, Room 1123. This workshop will give direction and provide strategies for the use of the essay and/or personal statement in the admission process.

Juniors and seniors: Please check Naviance daily to see an updated list of colleges that have scheduled a visit to Stevenson. Here is a list of colleges that will be visiting soon: University of Illinois at Chicago, Syracuse University, Tulane University, American University, Butler University, DePauw University, Saint Mary’s College, Kenyon College, University of Notre Dame, University of Redlands and University of Rochester. Use Naviance to sign up for the college that you are interested in visiting. View all upcoming college visits, sign up, and print a confirmation page. Put your ID number on this page and have your teacher sign it at least 2 days prior to the visit. Bring the signed confirmation page to the visit. Instructions are posted on the College/Career Center webpage. If the college visit occurs during your lunch or free hour, follow the same procedure, but no signature is necessary on the confirmation page.

Considering Indiana University in Bloomington? The Wells Scholarship is one of the most prestigious and selective undergraduate awards offered by any American university. The Wells Scholars Program provides special educational opportunities that encourage academic excellence, growth in leadership, and engagement in the larger world. Stevenson is allowed to nominate one student from the Class of 2016. Interested Seniors may pick up nomination materials in the College/Career Center. The deadline to return the nomination forms is Wednesday, September 16. Please know if selected, the nominee will need to complete the Wells Scholarship application by Thursday, October 1.

Considering the University of North Carolina? The Morehead-Cain award, the oldest and one of the most prestigious scholarship programs in the country, recognizes well-rounded student leaders who demonstrate outstanding potential for leadership in high school, in college and beyond. The Morehead-Cain Scholar is expected to be, in conduct and achievement, a superior citizen. This merit-based award includes four years of tuition and expenses at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, as well as fully funded summer enrichment programs that supplement academic study with off-campus travel and experience. Stevenson is allowed to nominate one student from the Class of 2016. Interested seniors may pick up nomination materials in the College/Career Center. The deadline to return the nomination forms is Wednesday, September 16. Please know if selected, the nominee will need to complete and submit the Morehead-Cain application by Thursday, October 15.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

CPS swim coach hailed as hero after student collapses in pool

College of DuPage financial officials fired

Chicago teachers asked to raise pension contributions

Rauner signs law disrupting school-to-prison pipeline

District 300 approves elimination of class rank

Former Barrington High student faces charges in threat against school

Poor kids in Chicago have more school options, but that’s not necessarily good

Chicago parents, activists 25 days into hunger strike

Three schools on closure list for St. Charles District 303

New Elgin U46 boundary plan includes all-day kindergarten, school additions

UI compromises on plan to plant American flags for 9/11 display

Astronaut from Chicago says stop taking the fun out of science

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Maryland’s largest school district votes to end final exams for high schools

President Obama steps up push for free community college tuition

Presidential candidates slam Common Core, but education standards take root

Has gentrification begun in New Orleans schools?

Intel ending sponsorship of prestigious high school science competition

Notre Dame president stands firm amid shifts in college athletics

First days of school in NYC, decade by decade

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.