Thursday, June 4, 2015 – Final Digest Until August 2015

Class of 2015 Graduates Tonight

The Class of 2015 will graduate tonight during the commencement ceremony at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates. The ceremony begins at 7 p.m. For those unable to attend, commencement will be streamed live by the Stevenson Broadcast Network through High School Cube at this link. As of Tuesday, 966 seniors were scheduled to graduate. This year’s student speakers will be seniors Allison Phillips and Jacob Victor.

Farewell to Retiring Faculty, Support Staff

In addition to bidding farewell to its latest graduating class, Stevenson also says farewell today to 16 people with more than 400 years of service to students: Joan Ackerman-Zimny, Helen Berger, Susan Crook, Nancy Eberhardt, Gerald Franklin, Nancy Gold, Marianne Grieco, Christina Kelly, Terry Maloney, Vicky Nordhem, Richard Pierce, Catherine Rauch-Morse, Michael Reimer, Cheryl Singley, Robert “Bubba” Smith and Barbara Thill. Four others retired earlier in the 2014-15 school year: Jeff Green, Jean Harrison, Ruth Hedberg and James “Smokey” Murray.

Clarification on Helicopter Ball Drop

Wednesday’s Digest item about the $10,000 helicopter ball drop at the June 29 Stevenson Foundation golf outing failed to mention this: A predetermined number will be randomly selected prior to the outing. If a ball with that number is the first into the hole, the holder of that ball wins $10,000. If you want to buy a golf ball for the drop, one is $20 and three are $50. Click here to order.

Sophomore Selected to Study in South Korea

Sophomore Eric Kang will study Korean this summer in South Korea as part of a National Security Language Initiative for Youth scholarship for 2015-16 he received from the U.S. State Department. Kang is one of only 620 students from across the United States who will receive a scholarship to study Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian, or Turkish overseas this year. While in South Korea, Kang will receive formal instruction and informal language practice in an immersion environment.

Last Daily Digest Until August

Today is the final day of the school year, and the last day for the Daily Digest until the 2015-16 year begins in August. What began as a moment of post-referendum whimsy in 2002 has lasted for 13 years, and we are grateful to our readers for their support.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Wednesday’s Varsity Results

Baseball

Stevenson hosted IHSA Class 4A Sectional: Jake Nusinow and Tyler Pauly combined for a four-hit shutout as the eighth-seeded Patriots beat No. 5 Glenbrook South, 6-0, and advanced to the sectional championship game at 11 a.m. Saturday. SHS (26-11-1) will face the winner of today’s semifinal between Warren and Mundelein. Nusinow improved to 5-0, giving up four hits, striking out two and walking none in five innings for SHS, which avenged a 2-0 loss to the Titans (22-12) in last year’s regional semifinal. No. 9 hitter Dylan Molek went 3-for-3 and had a two-run single in the third inning that gave the Pats a 5-0 lead. He also stole two bases. SHS scored five runs in the first four innings, had 12 hits in the game, and played errorless defense. Jimmy Marchese, Willie Bourbon, Robby McGaha and Charlie Ling each drove in a run. – Pioneer Press, Daily Herald ($)

Softball

Stevenson at IHSA Class 4A Glenbrook South Sectional: The 10th-seeded Patriots (17-15) blasted No. 9 Lake Zurich in the sectional semifinal, 12-1 in six innings, and will take on No. 6 New Trier for the championship at 4:30 p.m. Saturday. The Trevians defeated top seed and defending state champion Warren in the other semifinal. Winning pitcher Myra Peterson allowed just five hits in six innings, and her defense was errorless for the second straight game. Offensively, the Pats pounded out 14 hits while avening two regular-season losses to the Bears, including a 12-0 blanking. Leadoff hitter Vera Pflugradt had three hits, including a double, and scored three runs. Two others had three hits: Hannah Epstein went 2-for-4 with two triples and two runs batted in. Taylor Koenigs, who had a triple and two singles, and Trish Porzycki, who had three singles. Kayliegh McGovern hit a two-run double. Stevenson ended the game early with an eight-run sixth inning. – Daily Herald ($), Pioneer Press

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Textbook Return Information

All grades can return textbooks to the Wood Commons today until 1:30 p.m.

Testing Center Hours During Final Exams

The Testing Center is open today until 3 p.m. Other important reminders:

• Students must sign up for tests during finals times. A test can only be taken during a free period. Before and after final times don’t require signing up.
  • If a student is signed up during a rescheduled final, the TC needs a note or email from the teacher or counselor that the final has been rescheduled.

If you have any questions see Mrs. Miller or Ms. Plante in the TC.

Looking for a Yearbook? Go to the Superstore

Pre-ordered yearbooks can be picked up at the Superstore until Friday. Make sure you have your school ID. If you would like to buy a yearbook, a limited number are available for $50 at the Superstore. Cash, check, Patriot Dollars (student ID), Visa or MasterCard will be accepted.

Freshman B Soccer Team Photo at Superstore

Freshman B soccer players can pick up their replacement team yearbook photo at the Superstore.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Tentative teachers contract reached in Wheaton Warrenville District 200 (DH – $)

Northwestern professor’s case highlights clash of Title IX, academic freedom

New Trier breaks ground on $100M campus addition

University of Illinois president says job cuts coming

Former Lincoln-Way West aide faces sex charges

University of Chicago charter school thriving

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

All Baltimore school students to get free meals

Colorado school kitchen manager fired for giving poor students free lunches

The rich get richer: Harvard receives $400M gift, its largest ever

California district backs down, will let student wear eagle feather to graduation

In Colorado, teaching to a changing climate

Some Berkeley parents wonder if their school district is too nice to outsiders

Are online schools a better option for teen mothers?

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.