Thursday, May 21, 2015

2012 Alum Earns National Honor for Mental Health Work

Sonia Doshi, a 2012 Stevenson graduate finishing her junior year at the University of Michigan, has been selected to receive the 2015 Student Voice of Mental Health Award from The Jed Foundation. The award honors college and university students working to promote emotional health with, and prevent suicide among, their peers. She will be honored at the foundation’s 14th annual Bright Night gala in New York City on June 3.

Doshi’s interest in mental health issues began at Stevenson, when she witnessed first-hand her best friend’s struggles with depression. She resolved to reverse the stigma surrounding mental illness. Since then, Doshi has become a leader within the Healthy Minds Network, a mental health research team for young adults and adolescents. Last summer, HMN hired her as its research study coordinator, testing the effectiveness of internally-produced, short engaging video interventions to increase help-seeking and coping skill behaviors for college students. From that experience, Doshi organized the Tinyshifts National Film Competition last fall, which invited college students around the country to submit two-minute films portraying how they coped with stress. (Click here to watch the winning entry.)

This year, she started a student organization at Michigan called the Healthy Minds Student Leadership Coalition, which brings together students from across campus to discuss mental health research and increasing on-campus programming. Doshi produced the campus’ first Mental Health Monologues, in which students shared their stories related to mental health and illness through performances of spoken word, poetry and dance.

Doshi also has been heavily involved with the AthletesConnected Project, in partnership with the UM Depression Center and the school”s athletics department, which works to provide support and encourage help-seeking behaviors in the athletic community.

Juniors, Seniors Receive Department Awards

Hundreds of junior and senior students were honored with departmental awards Wednesday during separate ceremonies in the Performing Arts Center. Links to award winners: Seniors | Juniors

Two Seniors Named to Daily Herald Academic Team

Seniors Han Song Huang and Caroline Kelmis earned honorable mention status on this year’s Daily Herald Academic Team. Read more about them here.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Wednesday’s Varsity Results

Boys Volleyball

Stevenson d. Grant, 25-18, 25-19: Grant Maleski slammed 11 kills to lead the visiting Patriots (20-15, 8-3) in their North Suburban Conference finale. Joe Palminteri had five kills and Justin Leonard added four. Eric Zalewski and Jeffrey Wang each distributed 11 assists, and Zalewski also served two aces. Peter Drozdzewicz led the team with six digs, and Luke Feder made four.

Girls Lacrosse

Stevenson at IHSWLA Playoffs: Lake Zurich beat the Patriots, 15-10, in the second round of the state tournament at Conant High School. SHS, which had a four-game winning streak snapped, ended its season with a 10-11 record.

Water Polo Teams Seeking First State Title

Stevenson’s water polo teams will finish their seasons in home water this weekend, as the IHSA state tournament comes to the Patriot Aquatic Center. The boys and girls teams will be seeking their first state title. The Patriot girls finished third in Illinois last year, and this season will bring a school-record 33-0 record into today’s 4:30 quarterfinal matchup with St. Ignatius. The boys were fourth last year and second in 2013. SHS, which has a 26-6 record, faces Lincoln-Way Central at 5:45 p.m. Friday. Illpolo.com has a state tournament preview here.

Patriot Trio Prepares for State Track and Field Meet

Three Patriots are participating in the IHSA Class 3A girls track and field state meet beginning Friday at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston. Freshman Isabelle Sparreo will run in the 800 and 1,600, while juniors Charlotte Langbo and Janine Fajardo will compete in the long jump and 100 high hurdles, respectively. You can see how their state-qualifying efforts compare with other competitors here.

SHS Hosts Tennis Sectional Today and Saturday

The boys tennis team will play host to an IHSA sectional tournament at the Vernon Hills Athletic Complex this weekend. Action begins at 2 p.m. today and concludes on Saturday. The sectional will feature SHS and eight other schools, including conference rivals Libertyville, Lake Zurich, Vernon Hills, Mundelein and Wauconda. Matt Harvey and Adam Maryniuk are the No. 1 seed in doubles, while Ben Bush and Josh Cheng are a 3-4 seed. In singles, Colin Harvey and Brian Weisberg are 3-4 seeds. Click here for the Daily Herald preview ($).

Boys Track and Field Team at Palatine Sectional

The boys track and field team competes in the 17-team IHSA Palatine Sectional today. Almost half of the field — eight schools — is from the North Suburban Conference. Click here for results this evening.

Senior Tennis Player Makes College Commitment

Senior Michelle Tulchinskaya signed a letter of intent on Monday to play women’s tennis at the St. Louis College of Pharmacy. She is the college’s highest-rated recruit this year, with a ranking of 23rd among graduating seniors in Illinois and among the top 500 in the nation. Tulchinskaya won North Suburban Conference doubles championships in 2013 and 2014, and also qualified for the Illinois High School Association state tournament in 2013, when SHS placed fourth as a team.

State Champion Gymnastics Team Honored

The state champion boys gymnastics team was honored this morning before school during a ceremony in the Recital Hall. The Daily Herald stopped by to take photos and video ($).

Gartenberg Named TribLocal Athlete of the Month

Melissa Gartenberg won May Athlete of the Month honors from TribLocal’s Libertyville/Lake Forest edition. She will be featured in the May 28 edition of TribLocal. Gartenberg, a senior captain of Stevenson’s undefeated girls water polo team, led SHS in every major statistical category except for goals scored, in which she was second.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Looking for a Yearbook? Go to the Superstore

If you forgot to pick up your yearbook earlier this week, go to the Superstore to get your copy. Make sure you have your school ID. If you would like to buy a yearbook, a limited number are available for $50 at the Superstore. Cash, check, Patriot Dollars (student ID), Visas or MasterCard will be accepted.

Watch SHS Play in the State Water Polo Tournament for Free

The first 50 Stevenson students attending the girls and boys water polo state quarterfinal games will be admitted for free, thanks to the SHS Sports Boosters, who are paying their way. Make sure you have your school ID to take advantage of this great offer! The girls play St. Ignatius at 4:30 today, and the boys face Lincoln-Way Central at 5:45 p.m. Friday.

Volunteers Need to Help Transfer Students

Student volunteers are needed to help transfer students this fall. There are a limited number of spaces available, so sign up as soon as possible in any Student Services office. Volunteers will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. There will be a mandatory meeting for all volunteers from 8-8:25 a.m. next Wednesday (second day of the week) in Room 6048.

Clean Out PE Lockers By June 1

All PE lockers must be cleaned out by the end of the last regular school day on Monday, June 1. Locks will then be cut off and any belongings left behind will be donated to local charities.

PREP

Can you believe that summer camps start next month? Camps are available in sports, music, engineering, arts and crafts and careers. Registration is now open so check out what’s available and register today!

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

State says PARCC tests will have shorter, simpler format in 2015-16

District, city argue Crystal Lake bleachers case before state Supreme Court

CPS principal training deal got green light despite red flags

Charter school backers rally in Chicago, head to Springfield to oppose bill

Charters might move into closed CPS schools

Bartlett High selects student with Down Syndrome as Prom queen

Schaumburg Lutheran school principal prepares to leave after 42 years (DH – $)

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Survey finds U.S. schools ramping up safety measures

Unapproved calculators cause testing issues in several Florida counties

Rash of suicides sparks widespread training effort for teachers in D.C. area

Los Angeles school board seat is a pivotal win for charter school movement

Energy companies step in to help fund STEM education

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.