Friday, May 15, 2015

AP Credit Equity Bill Clears Next Hurdle, But Fate Uncertain

The Illinois Senate’s Higher Education Committee on Tuesday gave its unanimous approval to a bill that would require all Illinois public colleges and universities to grant credit for Advanced Placement exam scores of 3 or higher. However, House Bill 3428, also known as the AP Credit Equity Bill, has not yet been scheduled for a vote by the full Senate, and is facing opposition from the higher education lobby.

At Tuesday’s hearing, senators from both political parties lamented that Illinois public universities are unwilling to support a change that would bring them in line with educational institutions in several other states, including Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio. Committee chairman Pat McGuire, a Democrat from Joliet who is a former English high school teacher and school board member, said that Illinois universities seem content to “hold the door open” for students exiting to neighboring states.

AP Government teachers Dan Larsen and Andy Conneen testified before the committee on Tuesday. Larsen reflected on how AP credit acceptance policies have changed during his 25 years of teaching. Conneen read a statement prepared by senior Corey Weil, who was unable to attend the hearing because he was taking the AP Government exam at Stevenson.

Incoming Freshmen Can Receive iPads for Summer School

Incoming freshmen who are registered for summer school are eligible to sign up to receive their iPads now. All other incoming freshmen can receive iPads beginning June 16. Click here to review the letter sent home to the Class of 2019. Click here to schedule an iPad pick-up appointment.

2015-16 Student Government Leaders Announced

Rohan Bhattaram, a junior from Kildeer, will be the Student Council president for the 2015-16 school year. He was elected during student government elections last month. Erica Cole and Jessica Herst will be the Student Council vice presidents, while Karin Eng and Caleb Oh will serve as secretary and treasurer, respectively. Paula Perez was chosen as the Student Council representative to the District 125 Board of Education, and Maxwell Kahn was picked to be council historian. Other class officers elected were:

Class of 2016: Reema Amin, president; Holly Youngberg and Izabela Zaluska, vice presidents; Mandy Gollay, secretary; and David Bailey, treasurer.

Class of 2017: Matthew Cabrera, president; Robin Cheifetz and Sushmetha Venkata Submanian, vice presidents; Stephanie Diao, secretary; and Scotty Orlov, treasurer.

Class of 2018: Sasha Lenox, president; Nicholas Duffy and Nicki Nouri, vice presidents; Jessica Bae, secretary; and Sarah Jacob, treasurer.

Baroque Concert Video Available

Thursday night’s Baroque Concert, featuring Rachel Barton Pine, was streamed live by the Stevenson Broadcast Network. Click here to watch the video.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Boys Water Polo

Stevenson at IHSA Buffalo Grove Sectional: Alex Kapecki and Colin Kapecki each scored four goals as the top-seeded Patriots (24-6) beat No. 8 Palatine, 19-5. Dan Maleski added three goals for SHS, which will face fifth-seeded McHenry in the sectional semifinal at 7 o’clock tonight. Luke Gable-Preze and Nick Koto each had two goals. Shaurya Gilani and Charlie Day combined to stop 13 shots. – Illpolo.com

Boys Track and Field

Stevenson at NSC Championships: Jared Borowsky won the 3,200 meter run and finished second in the mile for the Patriots, who placed fifth overall at Lakes Community High School in Antioch. Borowsky posted a time of 9:18.75 in the 3,200, and ran the 1,600 in 4:22.39. Tim Vestuto finished second in the 100 (10.99) and was fourth in the 400 (50.52). Henry Sise placed third in the shot put (54-3). Aaron Lund was fourth in the 110 high hurdles (15.08) and Matt Poetker was fourth in the discus (148-8). Sammy Oh was fifth in the 3,200 (9:33.61) and in the 1,600 (4:26.13). David Goncharov finished sixth in the triple jump (40-10). SHS took fifth in the 400 relay (43.72) and sixth in the 800 relay (1:34.43). – Daily Herald ($)

Baseball

Stevenson 2, Crystal Lake South 0: Michael Kingery threw a complete-game two-hitter for the host Patriots (19-10-1), striking out two and only walking one. The game was scoreless until the sixth inning, when Jimmy Marchese singled home Willie Bourbon, who had doubled. Carter Baretz drove in Robby McGaha with an RBI groundout. Baretz was 2-for-3, while McGaha went 2-for-2. – @SHS_Baseball1, Daily Herald ($)

Softball

Wauconda 3, Stevenson 0: The Patriots were no-hit on the road, as Kayla Wedl struck out 19 for the Bulldogs (21-10), who won their seventh straight game. SHS (11-14) had two runners reach base, both on dropped third strikes. – Daily Herald ($)

Boys Lacrosse

Glenbrook South 16, Stevenson 3

Lacrosse Alum Member of National Club Champion Team

Lily Walker (Class of 2013) was a member of the University of Michigan club team that won the U.S. Lacrosse Women’s Collegiate Lacrosse Associates national championship on Sunday. The 19-1 Wolverines beat Virginia Tech, 11-8, in the Division I final in Virginia Beach. Walker is studying chemical engineering at Michigan.

Freshman Selected for USA Hockey Development Camp

Will Spitzer, a freshman, has been selected to participate in USA Hockey’s Boys Select 15 national development camp July 15-21 in Amherst, New York. He is one of 12 players from Illinois selected to the camp. Spitzer, a defenseman who does not play in Stevenson’s ice hockey program, survived three tryouts, two in Chicago and one last weekend in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. The final tryout featured 160 players from six states.

Softball Coach Adjusting in First Season

First-year head softball coach Alex Vikartofsky talked with Pioneer Press recently about the experience of coaching her alma mater, and of the learning curve she and her players faced with a new style of leadership.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Food Revolution Day Today

The students in the Family and Consumer Science Department will be participating in Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Day today! As a part of the day, 300 students from the Culinary Arts and Design courses will be making Jamie’s “Squash It” sandwich and watching a Jamie Oliver video! Food Revolution Day is a day to celebrate real food, inspire families to cook again and empower people everywhere to fight obesity. For more information about Food Revolution Day, visit www.foodrevolutionday.com. How are you going to celebrate Food Revolution Day? Show us on Instagram #FRD2015 #SHSFRD2015

Sodexo Holding “Fresh Market” During Lunch Tuesday

Sodexo will have a “Fresh Market” in the Wood Commons during the lunch hours on Tuesday. Stop by for fresh fruits and vegetables, and other healthy items.

Mandatory Meeting for All Juniors on Monday

All juniors will have a mandatory meeting with their counselor during the activity period on Monday. Juniors must attend the meeting even if their club is scheduled to meet. Click here to see room locations.

Graduation Cap and Gown Distribution Tuesday

Caps and gowns will be distributed between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. All seniors should go to the West Building Lower Lobby near the College/Career Center to pick up their cap, gown and tassel. Seniors must show their student ID or a valid driver’s license to receive their purchase. Click here for more information.

Dance Company Auditions Next Week

Two-day general auditions for Stevenson’s Repertory and Mélange co-curricular dance companies (2015-16 school year) will be held Wednesday and Thursday from 3:45-7:30 p.m. You must be present for both days to be considered. Auditions will take place in Dance Studio 2010. To register for the auditions and for more details, visit www.d125.org/dance.

Summer Travel Meetings on Wednesday

Students taking part in school-sponsored trips this summer are required to attend a meeting with their parents Wednesday. Students going on the AP European History trip will meet at 6 p.m. in Room 2104. Students traveling to Spain or Germany will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the West Auditorium.

Spring Fling Food Wristbands For Sale

Are you going to Spring Fling? This week during lunch periods, you can buy wristbands for food at Spring Fling. Wristbands are available for $3 each, and with each one you get a hot dog or hamburger, a bag of chips, and a bottle of water.

Pick Up Yearbooks Next Week

Juniors and seniors can pick up their yearbooks on Tuesday. Freshmen and sophomores can pick up their yearbooks Wednesday. Yearbooks will be available outside the Performing Arts Center and in the Patriot Lobby during lunch periods. Student ID will be required.

Senior Class Party Bus Sign Up Tuesday and Wednesday

If you want to sit with your friends on the bus going to the Senior Class Party cruise, make sure you sign up in the Patriot Lobby on Tuesday or Wednesday. If you don’t sign up for a bus, you’ll be assigned to one at random.

Freshmen Who Wear Red Monday Get a Free Donut

All members of the Class of 2018 who wear red on Monday will receive a free donut during their lunch period. May 18 is the official day of the Class of 2018. On every May 18 before it graduates, Class of 2018 members will get a free treat if they wear the designated color for that day. For those planning ahead, the colors are blue in 2016, yellow or gold in 2017, and green in 2018.

Return Overdue Books, Pay Fines to ILC ASAP

Please return all overdue library books and pay any overdue fines to the ILC as soon as possible. Beginning Monday, no library materials may be checked out until books are returned and fines are paid.

Traffic Alert on Prom Morning

If you’re heading out for hair styling or a haircut Saturday morning before Prom, be aware that Riverwoods Road will be closed from 8-8:45 a.m. from Route 22 north to Riverwoods/Everett Road due to the District 103 PTO’s fifth annual Run for D103. If you want to run in the race, visit www.RunforD103.org.

CLUB NEWS

It’s time for film and fondue with the French Club! Join French Club for chocolate fondue and a movie at 3:30 Tuesday in Room 2632.

To make sure all seniors have a chance to attend, the last Breakfast with Books meeting has been moved to 7:45 a.m. Tuesday in the upper ILC.

PREP

Can you believe that summer camps start next month? Camps are available in sports, music, engineering, arts and crafts and careers. Registration is now open so check out what’s available and register today!

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Sprague School Principal earns leadership award from Golden Apple Foundation

VIDEO: Watch Adler’s reaction as award assembly (DH – $)

College of DuPage president ordered positive mailers before election (DH – $)

CPS employee used principals’ passwords in $870K scam, officials say

Waukegan school evacuated, students injured in two smoke bomb incidents

Proviso West cafeteria worker accused of having sex with student

Waukegan District 60 buys new X-ray machines, metal detectors

CPS school budgets delayed by pension problems

Trinity professor receives kidney from Bannockburn School math teacher

Former Highland Park substitute teacher accused of cyberstalking violates bond

New UI president optimistic about building team to tackle challenges

Stained glass windows back at St. Rita High School after years in storage

Scientist-in-residence at School of the Art Institute uses food to make math fun

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

School bullying at lowest ebb in 10 years, survey says

U.S. asks to join blind student suit against Ohio school

MIT works to relieve student pressure after suicides

Consumer agency opens inquiry on student loan services

Newtown school principal awarded doctorate posthumously

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.