Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Statesman Receives First-Place Honor in National Contest

The Statesman, Stevenson’s student newspaper, received a first-place ranking from the American Scholastic Press Association in its 2014-15 Scholastic Newspaper Awards competition. The Statesman was one of 143 newspapers from high schools and colleges around the country to earn a first-place ranking, and one of four in Illinois. Only two of the four in the state are high schools (Stevenson and Lake Forest Academy) while the other two are higher education institutions (Lewis University and Moraine Valley Community College).

Journalism teacher and Statesman adviser Dean Bradshaw and his student staff submitted their first three issues of the year, October, November and December, for evaluation. The Statesman’s editor-in-chief this year is Alice Vagun. Fathma Rahman and Nitya Gupta are the managing editors of production, and Easton Self is the managing editor of design. Shubhangi Joshi is the business manager, Kayla Guo and Izabela Zaluska are the copy editors, and Hannah Jeon is the news editor. Sarah Verschoor is the opinions editor, Stephanie Namkoong is features editor, and Katy Roach is sports editor. Vijay Magati, Brenda Reyn and Alex Shafran are graphic editors, and Namrata Sridhar is ideas editor. The reporting staff includes Aman Grover, Nikol Safronova, Sami Sparber, Sabrina Szos, Joylyn Yang and Cindy Yao.

70 Students Qualify for 2016 National Merit Competition

Seventy students have qualified for the 2016 National Merit Scholarship Program, based on their scores from last fall’s Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test. They were among the 50,000 highest-scoring participants among some 1.5 million students who took the test.

Students who will receive recognition in the 2016 National Merit Scholarship Program in the fall include: Ishita Aggarwal, Reema Amin, Eugenie Bang, Allison Bell, Cameron Bernstein, Joshua Brot, Allen Cao, William Chang, Tiffany Chen, Maya Cohen, Revell Cozzi, Lauren Cuasay, Patrick DeMichele, Constance Du, Michelle Fan, Alan Fang, Chloe Feast, Jessy Feng, Hannah Francis, Gillian Grant, Keyu Guo, Haley Hauptman, Sarah Hou, Monique Hsu, Helen Huang, Kelsey Huang, Nathan Ji, Andrew Jin, Shubhangi Joshi, Pratik Kamat, Caroline Kim, Dae Hyun Kim, Yelim Kim, John Kollross, Adam Liu, Emery Liu, David Luo, Teresa Mao, Ashley Mathews, Jared Millman, Bijan Moazezi, Madhavi Murali, Rebecca Nelson, Maxim Papushin, Abhirami Ramakrishnan, Vikaas Ranganathan, Jessica Rath, Megan Rivkin, Matthew Ryan, Alexandr Sein, Elizabeth Shakhnazaryan, Kazuma Shimanaka, Nathan Shlobin, Allison Silverman, Alec Smith, Alexander Smith, Nicole Strezewski, Niveda Tennety, Matthew Treiber, Lia Tziortzis, Ajay Varadhan, Ekaterina Villevald, Max Wei, Natalie Wu, Julianne Yang, Jiyun Yu, Shin Young Yu, Jennifer Zhang, Shu Zhang and Jeffry Zheng.

More Than 90 Students Help at Special Olympics Event

More than 90 students volunteered to help with a Special Olympics bocce ball event at Stevenson on Sunday. Students set up courts, walked athletes to their court, kept score and time, reported scores and handed out awards. The students combined for more than 700 hours of service, each working 8.5 hours.

Freshman Archer Stays on Target

Freshman Sami Hartman Stackhouse finished seventh overall in the high school female division with a score of 271 and 10 tens at the Danville Tournament on Saturday.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Tuesday’s Varsity Results

Badminton

Stevenson 15, Lake Forest 0: In the Field House, the Patriots won 14 of the 15 matches in straight sets. Margaret Chen was a 21-8, 21-5 winner at No. 1 singles, while Nicole Xia and Ashley Richardson earned a 21-10, 21-7 decision at No. 1 doubles. The other winning singles players were No. 2 Michelle Ling (21-9, 21-8), No. 3 Michelle Hu (21-10, 21-12), No. 4 Richardson (21-5, 12-7), No. 5 Shu Zhang (21-15, 21-16), No. 6 Xia (21-15, 21-2), No. 7 May Ling (21-9, 21-9), No. 8 Kelsey Huang (21-7, 21-4), No. 9 Shirley Cao (21-4, 21-7) and No. 10 Sophia Liu (21-10, 21-10). The other doubles winners included No. 2 Hu/Cao (21-7, 21-12), No. 3 Chen/Ling (21-7, 21-11), No. 4 Huang/Zhang (23-25, 21-11, 21-13) and No. 5 Liu/Ling (21-5, 21-15). – Daily Herald ($)

Boys Water Polo

Stevenson 20, Palatine 2: Andrew Shashin and Cris Tomassetti each scored four goals to lead the Patriots (15-2) in Palatine. – Illpolo.com

Girls Soccer

Stevenson 1, Warren 1: Goalkeeper Emma Marx made nine saves, including a couple on shots taken at point-blank range for the host Patriots (3-4-1, 0-1-1). Marx was making her second start since breaking her nose in the season opener. Savannah Kruse gave SHS a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute on an assist from Kylie Kirsch. Warren (2-5-2, 1-0-2) tied the game in the second half. – Daily Herald ($)

Baseball

Warren 8, Stevenson 4: Jimmy Marchese and Willie Bourbon each collected two hits for the host Patriots (10-5-1). Marchese, Bourbon and Robert McGaha doubled. Warren (12-6) took a 2-0 lead in the third and did not relinquish the lead. – Daily Herald ($)

Softball

Mundelein 19, Stevenson 9 (5 inn.): Vera Pflugradt, Alyssa Pauly, Emma Oriatti and Alana Labaschin all homered for the visiting Patriots (3-7). Pauly and Taylor Koenigs went 2-for-3. The Mustangs (13-4, 3-1) scored nine runs in the first inning to take control. – Daily Herald ($)

Baseball Alum Helps Illini to Best Start Ever

Adam Walton (Class of 2012) and the University of Illinois baseball team are off to the best start in school history and are currently riding the longest winning streak in college baseball at 13 games. The Illini (32-6-1) are ranked No. 9 by D1 Baseball.com, their highest ever. The redshirt sophomore shortstop has started all 39 games, and leads the team with 51 hits. Illinois currently leads the Big Ten Conference, one game ahead of No. 19 Iowa, which includes 2012 alum Tyler Radtke on its pitching staff.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Auditions for Advanced Chorus, Patriot Singers Next Week

Do you like to sing? Auditions for the 2015-16 Advanced Chorus and Patriot Singers classes will take place the week of April 27. Information and sign-up sheets are posted outside the Choir Room (2202). Please contact Mrs. Nuteson is you have any questions. Don’t miss your opportunity to be a part of these classes!

Volunteers Needed for “Your Actions Matter” Campaign

The Stand Strong community coalition is looking for student and parent volunteers to help with the state’s fifth annual “Your Actions Matter” campaign to change adult attitudes about giving alcohol to minors. Volunteers will work with police officers to provide educational material to stores in Buffalo Grove and Lincolnshire that sell alcohol. Five student volunteers are needed to work from 3:30-6 p.m. Thursday, April 30 in Buffalo Grove, and 10 students are needed in Lincolnshire from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 12. Student and parent volunteers will receive training before going out into the community, and will have a pizza party at the end of each session. Students and parents who are interested can contact Stand Strong director Jamie Epstein at jamieeps@aol.com to sign up, or for more information.

Prom, Post-Prom Tickets On Sale at Superstore, Online

Tickets for the Prom are available at the Superstore in the Wood Commons, and through the Online Superstore. Tickets are $85 each. If you’re going to the Prom with a non-Stevenson student, you’ll need to fill out a special permission form. The form and other information are available at www.d125.org/prom. Ticket sales end May 4. You can also buy tickets to the post-Prom event at Great America, which runs until 5 a.m. the morning after Prom. Tickets are $50 for the post-Prom event. Click here for details and the permission form.

Seniors: Let Statesman Know Your Plans for Next Year

Seniors! If you know what your plans are for next year, let Statesman know so we can add you to the senior insert list that will be published in the final issue of the newspaper! http://goo.gl/hvARIW

Order Your Free WIT By Monday

Complimentary copies of the WIT, Stevenson’s literary magazine run, written and produced by students, are available to anyone who is interested. Orders must be turned in by Monday. Click here to download an order form.

Drawstring Bags in West Lost and Found

The West Attendance Office lost and found, in Room 2416, has an assortment of drawstring bags left behind by students and others. If yours is missing, come look for it today.

CLUB NEWS

Spanish Club will be having a movie night today from 3:30-5:30 p.m. in Room 7096. All students are invited to watch the movie El Dorado, and eat free food such as chicharones, flan and jarritos.

IM Archery will meet indoors in Room 5044 today.

To make sure all seniors have a chance to attend, the last Breakfast with Books meeting has been moved to 7:45 a.m. Tuesday, May 19 in the upper ILC.

ATHLETICS

All interested girls basketball players and their parents are invited to meet new head coach Ashley Graham, and to learn about summer opportunities, at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in Room 1204 (West Faculty Dining Room), which is near the Sports Center entrance.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Now accepting 2014-15 career shadow applications: Applications are available on the Career Exploration web page or in the CCC. Please note all applications for summer shadows are due no later than May 2. Questions? Please contact Mrs. Willock at dwillock@d125.org to set up an appointment.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Suburban colleges’ scholarship amounts fall well below national average (DH – $)

CPS suspends SUPES contract amid federal probe

CPS’ poor financial condition leads to high interest rates on bond sale

Duncan: CPS students deserve stability

Triton College getting new soccer field, updated baseball field

Illinois Supreme Court to hear arguments in Crystal Lake South bleacher case in May

Former suburban prep basketball standout alleges bullying at Air Force Academy

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Valparaiso U. student charged after false report of gun, hostages on campus

Seattle school test-tampering probe: $25K spent, no end in sight

Laid off Katrina teachers appeal to U.S. Supreme Court

Los Angeles school board approves teacher deal but projects $559M deficit

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.