Monday, April 13, 2015

Project Dance Reaches $40,000 Goal

Project Dance reached its goal of raising $40,000 to benefit the Riverside Foundation and the Stevenson Foundation’s Kids In Need Fund. Donations moved past the $40,000 mark Friday afternoon; the dance was held Saturday night.

AP Art, Advanced Photography One Person Shows This Week

Students in Advanced Placement art classes and Advanced Photography will have their works on display during the annual One Person Shows on Tuesday and Wednesday in Room 2104 and the Upper Forum of the West Building. The show will be open from 8 a.m. to 3:25 p.m. both days, with a public reception taking place from 7-9 p.m. Tuesday. Click here to see the student-artists who will be featured.

Space Available for Incoming Freshman Parent Event

Seating is still available at an anti-drug and alcohol event for incoming freshman parents on Wednesday that will feature several panelists with Stevenson connections. The Parent Empowerment Event, sponsored by the Stand Strong community coalition (of which Stevenson is a member), will take place at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Noah’s of Lincolnshire, 200 Barclay Boulevard, in Lincolnshire. The event will provide parents with practical strategies and information about communicating with children about alcohol and other drugs; local laws about “social hosting”; the effects of alcohol and marijuana on a teenager’s developing brain; and work being done in the community to reduce underage consumption. To reserve a space for the free event, or for more information, click here.

Freshman Second at Illini Archery Invitational

Sami Hartman Stackhouse finished second among all female competitors at the Illini Archery Invitational on Saturday at the University of Illinois. The freshman won a two-round shootout to earn the second-place finish. Prior to the shootout, she recorded a score of 285, which included 17 bullseyes, 11 nines and two eights.

Foundation Sponsoring Children’s Play Sunday

The Stevenson Foundation closes its 2014-15 children’s theater schedule with “The Magical Lamp of Aladdin” on Sunday. Show times are 1 and 3 p.m. in the Little Theater of the Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $5, and may be reserved in advance by ordering online at StevensonFoundation.org or calling 847-415-4121, and also may be purchased at the door Sunday.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Saturday’s Varsity Results

Girls Water Polo

Stevenson at Fenwick Invitational: The No. 2 Patriots defeated No. 4 Fenwick, 10-9, to capture the tournament championship with a 4-0 record. Allison Travetto scored the decisive goal with less than two minutes remaining for SHS (15-0), which rallied from a 6-3 deficit. Travetto had four goals in the game, as did Melissa Gartenberg, who forced a turnover in Fenwick’s final possession to seal the victory. Gartenberg made 10 steals and registered four assists. Travetto added a pair of assists. Goalkeeper Lauren Burns had 11 saves to go along with two assists. Annika Hotchkiss and Autumn Hoang had one goal apiece. The Pats advanced to the championship game with a 14-3 win over Homewood-Flossmoor. Travetto, Gartenberg and Claire Haas each scored three times, while Hotchkiss had two goals. Tanya Shkiler, Eileen Hoang and Christina Spizzirri each found the back of the net one time. Burns made eight saves and Brigitte Lefebvre had three. – Illpolo.com

Badminton

Stevenson at Willowbrook Invitational: The Patriots won the tournament with 57 points, beating out the host school and Glenbard East, each of which scored 52. – Chicago Tribune

Boys Water Polo

Stevenson at DeSmet Jesuit Tournament: In St. Louis, Andrew Shashin and Dan Maleski each scored three goals as the Patriots (13-2) beat Lindbergh, 9-5, in the third-place game. Alex Kapecki, Collin Kapecki and Liam Holzer each scored once. Earlier in the day, SHS beat Chicago’s DeLaSalle, 11-6 before falling to eventual runner-up St. Louis University High, 14-3, in the semifinals. Kapecki had four goals against DeLaSalle, while Shashin and Luke Gable-Preze each netted three. – Illpolo.com

Girls Soccer

Stevenson 2, Grayslake Central 1: Savannah Kruse and Emma Jaeger scored in the second half as the Patriots rallied from a 1-0 halftime deficit to earn their first victory of the season. Goalkeeper Hannah Petrich had six saves for SHS (1-3). – Daily Herald ($)

Boys Volleyball

Stevenson at Warren Invitational: The Patriots reached the title match of the Silver Flight before falling to Prospect, 25-20, 25-23. SHS (5-3) beat Warren, 26-24, 26-24, and Highland Park, 25-14, 25-20, to reach the final. Grant Maleski had 11 kills against Highland Park, 10 versus Warren, and eight against Prospect. He recorded five blocks against Warren. Jesse Kesner had 15 kills on the day, including six against Prospect. Eric Zalewski passed out 42 assists in the three matches, while Luke Feder had 18 digs and served five aces. Justin Leonard recorded nine blocks, four apiece against Highland Park and Warren. – Daily Herald ($)

Baseball

Stevenson 11, Naperville Central 7: Willie Bourbon homered and drove in three runs for the visiting Patriots (8-2) in the nonconference contest. Jimmy Marchese added a double. Justin Stark earned the win on the mound; he gave up no earned runs in four innings. SHS took control of the contest by scoring six runs in the second inning. – Daily Herald ($)

Boys Lacrosse

Neuqua Valley 10, Stevenson 3: The Patriots fell to 1-2 with the loss in Naperville. – IHSLA.org

Friday’s Varsity Results

Boys Gymnastics

Stevenson at Robert Bohl Invitational: At Mundelein, the Patriots won the 18-team meet with a score of 147.05, well ahead of Deerfield (141.98) and Glenbrook South (141.33). The meet featured several teams considered contenders for the state title. Arie Feltman-Frank won the all-around competition with a score of 52.10, while Matt Krames was sixth with 49.30. Feltman-Frank won the horizontal bar (8.6), was second on still rings (9.0), fourth on parallel bars (8.4), and seventh on pommel horse (8.7). Krames finished second on vault (9.25) and parallel bars (8.7), was sixth in floor exercise (8.75) and horizontal bar (7.4), and placed 10th in still rings (7.7). Elijah Klaber took fourth in still rings (8.7), eighth on horizontal bar (7.1) and ninth on pommel horse (8.6). – Chicago Tribune, Daily Herald ($)

Boys Water Polo

Stevenson at DeSmet Jesuit Tournament: Cris Tomassetti scored five goals and Collin Kapecki added four as the Patriots (12-1) opened the two-day tournament in St. Louis with a 16-7 win over Chaminade. Andrew Shashin and Alex Kapecki each had two goals. SHS followed up with 12-1 win over MICDS (Mary Institute and St. Louis Country Day School), behind four goals from Shashin and two from Tomassetti. – Illpolo.com

Boys Volleyball

Stevenson at Warren Invitational: The Patriots (3-2) opened the two-day tournament by splitting a pair of matches. SHS beat Niles West, 25-21, 25-16, after falling to Lincoln-Way East, 25-21, 21-25, 15-9. Grant Maleski had 14 kills in the loss, and 19 on the day. Jesse Kesner added eight kills in two matches, while Justin Leonard had six kills against Niles West. He also had six services aces in the two contests. Eric Zalewski registered 29 assists in the two matches. Luke Feder made 11 digs and Jeffrey Wang had nine.

Baseball

Stevenson 16, North Chicago 0 (5 inn.): Robert McGaha hit a grand slam during the host Patriots’ 15-run first inning. Evan Scaletta had two hits in the game, including a double. Jake Nusinow struck out six in two innings of work. – Daily Herald ($)

Softball

Fremd 8, Stevenson 4: The Patriots (2-4) led 2-0 after four innings, but were unable to hold off the Vikings (8-0) in Palatine. Molly Thon was 2-for-3 with an RBI double, while Emma Oriatti went 2-for-4 with a double and a run-scoring single. Vera Pflugradt also singled home a run. SHS lost starting catcher Trish Porzycki — whom was featured in this article just a day earlier — to an apparent broken wrist during the game. – Daily Herald ($)

Girls Lacrosse

Lake Zurich 14, Stevenson 9: The Patriots fell to 3-3 overall and 1-1 in the North Suburban Conference. – IHSWLA.org

Girls Badminton

York 10, Stevenson 7

Graham Named New Girls Basketball Coach

Ashley Graham, who guided Prospect High School to its best season in 2014-15, has been named the seventh varsity girls basketball coach in Stevenson history. Graham, who turned 29 in March, served as the varsity assistant at SHS for three seasons before taking over Prospect’s program in 2012. Click here to read more.

Brunson Impresses at Nike Hoop Summit

Jalen Brunson scored 12 points and dished out seven assists for the USA Junior National Select Team during its 103-101 loss to the World Select Team at the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, Oregon on Saturday. | Official release, USA Today

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Late Arrival on Thursday

Don’t forget: This Thursday is a late arrival day, and not next Thursday as listed in the Guidebook.

Mr. SHS Tickets on Sale at the Superstore

Mr. SHS is Friday night at 7 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. Pick up your tickets at the Superstore for $5. You can even buy tickets at the door the night of the show! Support the seniors and come on out and have a great night.

Sophomore Class Board Leading Autism Awareness Fundraiser

The Sophomore Class Board and the Special Education Division want you to help create a “blue out” for the Allied Soccer game against Lakes at 1 p.m. Saturday in the Stadium. You can buy “Light It Up Blue’ T-shirts for $10 during the lunch periods or in the Superstore this week. If you wear the shirt on Saturday, you’ll get into the party after the game for free. Click here for details.

Sushi Station in the West Commons Today

Sodexo is offering a made-to-order sushi station in the West Commons during the lunch periods today. You can mix and match from 15 different sushi types, made with either traditional sushi rice or healthy brown rice. Using only the finest ingredients, the products offer diners everything from raw, exotic fish to fully-cooked, traditionally-prepared seafood to vegan and vegetarian options. The sushi station will be located near the main cashier lines.

PPA Bake Sale Wednesday

The next PPA bake sale is Wednesday. Donuts, puppy chow, pies and other goodies will be available for $1.

2015-16 Student Council Applications Being Taken

Anyone interested in serving on the Student Council for the 2015-16 school year is invited to apply online by Friday, April 24. Existing members must re-apply.

Don’t Wait to Sign Up for Summer School

Are you thinking about registering for summer school classes? Don’t wait and miss out on the class you want. You can sign up online at www.d125.org/summer.

New College Essay Workshop Coming This Summer

Attention junior students: Do you want help with your college essays? Would you like to complete most of the work before senior year so you can enjoy the fall? Join the 100 students who have already signed up for our college essay workshop this summer! The first week of each semester, you can get help on your personal statement for the common application, supplemental essays for specific colleges, and even scholarship essays! Get suggestions and feedback! Finish this over the summer before senior year begins! Register for this new summer school workshop on the summer school web page.

Calling All Student Poets

The ILC has turned its front glass wall into a Poetry Wall for the month of April. Stop by and create your own poem!

Want to Learn Russian or Chinese for Free?

Students who will be returning to Stevenson for 2015-16, and who have had no prior exposure to the Russian or Chinese languages, are invited to apply for the STARTALK program at Lewis University. There are no tuition costs, and successful students will receive three university credits. The program runs from June 15 through July 10 at Lewis University’s campus in Romeoville. The application deadline is May 4. Click here for more information.

COLLEGE NEWS

Attention Juniors: All junior families are invited to participate in our Narrowing Your Options program, which consists of individual 30-minute appointments with a college counselor (one appointment per family) through the end of June. Scheduling a Narrowing Your Options appointment will greatly assist you in the college planning process. Please fill out this form and turn it in by Monday, April 20.

Attention juniors and seniors: A representative from the College of Lake County will be visiting Stevenson on Tuesday, April 21 during seventh period. If you’d like to attend, please sign up through Naviance. You can get full directions on the “College Rep Visit” link on the College/Career Center web page at www.d125.org/college. You must get a pass signed by your seventh period teacher at least two days prior to the visit in order to attend.

INTRAMURALS

Spring IM Archery starts Wednesday. Join today so you can attend. New and old members are always welcome. For more information or to register, visit the IM Archery website at http://www.d125.org/students/shs-intramurals/archery.

CLUB NEWS

Anime Club will not meet today.

SPINS Club members going to the Climbing Mountain at Libertyville Sports Complex on Friday: Please return your permission forms to Student Activities.

Are you passionate about environmental, social, and economic sustainability? Sustainability Council meets every Monday from 3:40-4:40 p.m. in Room 2430. For more information, contact Ms. LaFrancis in Gold Student Services or at slafrancis@d125.org.

The Ambassador yearbook club meets Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays after school in Room 2712.

Pass on the Beat provides service through music to the community. Membership is open to all interested students. The club meets every Tuesday after school in Room 2202.

Gay Straight Alliance meets Tuesdays after school in Room 6012. GSA is a club intended to provide a safe and supportive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning youth and their straight allies. The club provides a confidential place where you can be yourself.

Do you like geography and learning about different countries? Do you want to learn about countries you may have never heard of before? Have you taken or are you currently taking AP Human Geography? Then get Djibouti over to Geography Club! We meet every Monday after school in Room 7004. Kenya make it?

Are you interested in weather and always wanted to learn and understand it more? Come to the Meteorology Club’s next meeting at 3:45 Monday in Room 2500. Contact Mr. Eriksen for more information at seriksen@d125.org.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Now accepting 2014-15 career shadow applications: Applications are available on the Career Exploration web page or in the CCC. Please note all applications for summer shadows are due no later than May 2. Questions? Please contact Mrs. Willock at dwillock@d125.org to set up an appointment.

UPCOMING PREP CLASSES

The PREP Cheer and Dance Junior High Clinic will be held Monday and Tuesday, April 20-21. This two-day clinic will focus on dance/cheer technique and choreography. Participants will learn a variety of dance or cheer skills, plus a routine. Skills include: turns, leaps, jumps, motions, cheer and dance choreography. The clinic is for grades 6-8. Register today at https://registration.xenegrade.com/shsprep/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=1612.

Have you checked out any of PREP’s amazing gardening classes this session? If not, don’t miss out on the last one for this Spring! Perennial Gardening from the Ground Up meets on Wednesday, April 22. In this two-hour presentation we will address selecting, planting and caring for perennial plants that are suitable for northern Illinois. Visit https://registration.xenegrade.com/shsprep/courseDisplay.cfm?schID=1492 for more information and to register!

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

School districts, suburbs lost millions in alleged investment fraud (Trib – $)

BGA says many school districts paying employees’ share of pensions

IHSA: Concussions lawsuit “threatens” football, should be dismissed

Lack of money, interest forcing many high school newspapers to fold (Trib – $)

Illinois changes to cyberbullying codify reality schools already see

District 128 plans athletic field, parking for former Brainerd building site (DH – $)

Northwestern U. students turn to in-house crowdfunding platform for projects

Elgin Community College converting golf course into prairie (DH – $)

Dundee-Crown High honors principal who “bleeds red and blue”

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Where are the teachers of color?

New research shows free online courses didn’t grow as expected

25 years after historic Kentucky reform effort, poorest schools still lag

Are colleges equipped to judge rape cases?

Troy University students suspended over Spring Break sexual assault

West Virginia alters state science standards again over climate change doubts

New Connecticut law helps schools focus on dyslexic youngsters

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.