Friday, October 31, 2014

Stevenson Stands Tall Among State Schools

Today marks the annual release of standardized testing results for public schools in the state of Illinois, and Stevenson stands out in every category.

Stevenson had an average score of 26.4 on the ACT college entrance exam in the 2013-14 school year, the top mark among Lake County public high schools, and 87.5% of students who took the Prairie State Achievement Exam last spring met or exceeded state standards. Statewide, only 54% of students met or exceeded state standards. State-released data also shows that 86% of Stevenson students are prepared for college, versus 46% of all Illinois high schoolers. Click here to see Stevenson’s state report card.

District 125’s consortium schools — elementary and junior high schools from which SHS draws most of its students — also did well. Lincolnshire-Prairie View District 103, Kildeer Countryside District 96, and Aptakisic-Tripp District 102 were among the county’s leaders in the percentage of students meeting or exceeding state standards in reading and math on the Illinois Standards Achievement Test. Those districts also ranked near the top in student growth measurements.

Daily Herald: Stevenson High again earns top marks on report cards

Senior Second in First Amendment Contest

Senior Kellie Roth took second place in the annual First Amendment essay and art contest sponsored by the Greater Chicago/Upper Midwest chapter of the Anti-Defamation League, and the Chicago Tribune. She and the other contest winners will be honored at the chapter’s Jerold S. Solovy Freedom Award Dinner Tuesday, November 11 in Chicago. This year, several thousand middle and high school students were invited to enter the contest and submit essays, works of art, and multimedia that answered the question, “How does the First Amendment affect my daily life?” Winners attending the event will read excerpts of their work and receive scholarships from the ADL.

Free Concert By Great Lakes Naval Show Band on Sunday

The Great Lakes Naval Station show band, Liberty Call, will perform a free concert at 2 p.m. Sunday in the West Auditorium. Although the show is free, the Stevenson Foundation is requesting that those planning to attend register online at stevensonfoundation.org. Sunday’s concert is part of the foundation’s Professional Performance Series. Future free shows include the Natya Dance Troupe (January 25), Q101 morning show personality Kathy Hart (February 8) and “breakfast queen” Ina Pinkney (April 19). Also scheduled are a March 20 appearance by Close to You, a Carpenters tribute band, and a children’s play, “The Magical Lamp of Aladdin.” Tickets for Close to You are $20, while “Aladdin” tickets are $5. Tickets can be ordered at stevensonfoundation.org or by calling 847-415-4121.

Foundation Director Shares Lincolnshire Favorites

Stevenson Foundation Executive Director Greg Diethrich is featured in this week’s “Splash” supplement produced by Sun-Times Media. He talks about some of his favorite spots in Lincolnshire to eat and for entertainment.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Follow us on Twitter: @aeshssports

Thursday’s Varsity Results

Girls Volleyball

Stevenson hosted IHSA Class 4A Regional: Jori Radtke slammed 17 kills and Corissa Kurth served 7 aces and dished out 27 assists as the Patriots upset second-seeded Hersey, 25-20, 23-25, 25-21, to capture its fifth consecutive regional championship. SHS (23-13), which lost twice to the Huskies (31-6) earlier this season, advances to the Glenbrook North Sectional. The seventh-seeded Patriots will face No. 3 Carmel (32-5) in the sectional semifinals at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. After losing the second set to Hersey and falling behind in the third, Stevenson rallied behind the serving of Kurth and Morgan Berland, who had 22 digs, and strong frontline play from Anna Drozdzewicz (2 blocks), Emily Brasier and Jacqueline Green. Isabella Milejczyk finished off the match with her 11th kill of the night. Radke added 15 digs and Kurth had 14. SHS had six blocks. The regional championship was the 10th in head coach Tim Crow’s 13 seasons, and the 24th in program history. – Daily Herald

Basketball Team Ranked No. 21 by USA Today

Stevenson’s boys basketball team is ranked No. 21 in the first USA Today Super 25 of the 2014-15 season. The Patriots will open play November 24 against Argo in the Lyons Township Thanksgiving Tournament. The game will take place at Hinsdale Central.

Football Game on SBN/High School Cube Tonight

Tonight’s Stevenson-Lyons Township playoff football game will be broadcast by the Stevenson Broadcast Network through High School Cube at 7 o’clock tonight. The link to watch is at: http://hscu.be/e/383171. Today’s Daily Herald has an article featuring head coach Bill McNamara and his thoughts on the Class 8A northern bracket, which might be the toughest in the state. The article also has a note about a special visitor who stood on the sidelines for last week’s game at Libertyville: Northwestern University head football coach Pat Fitzgerald, who came to see Cameron Green, one of his recruits. Green didn’t disappoint, catching two touchdown passes.

Cross Country Teams Ready for Sectional

The girls and boys cross country teams will run in the IHSA Class 3A Schaumburg Sectional on Saturday, hoping to qualify for the state meet in Peoria. The girls finished third at last weekend’s Libertyville Regional, with two Patriots posting top 10 finishes: Jessica Philipp (fourth) and Isabelle Sparreo (ninth). The boys were fourth at the Libertyville Regional, and two runners finished in the top four: Sam Oh, who was runner-up, and Jared Borowsky, who placed fourth. Link for sectional results: Boys | Girls

Meeting for Wrestling Parents Tuesday Night

There will be a meeting for parents of SHS wrestlers at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Wrestling Room (2111).

Purdue Anticipates Big Year for Wrestling Alum

Purdue University’s student newspaper, The Exponent, on Thursday published an article about Stevenson’s two-time state wrestling champion Danny Sabatello (Class of 2011). The Boilermakers are expecting big things from the junior, who qualified for last season’s NCAA tournament. They’re also expecting a prank here or there.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Senior Yearbook Portrait Appointment Deadline is Today

The final deadline for seniors to make an appointment for a yearbook portrait is today. Seniors can call 847-499-9300 to make an appointment. This also will ensure that they will be featured in the 50th anniversary Ambassador yearbook.

Online Ticket Sales for “Cabaret” Underway

Tickets for the fall musical, “Cabaret,” are available online through the SHS Web Store. Tickets are $10 each. “Cabaret” will be performed at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, November 14-15, and at 2 p.m. Sunday, November 16.

Want to Become the Next Great Writer? Submit to the Half-Wit

Sophomores and freshmen: What’s the difference between you and great writers like Ray Bradbury, Sherman Alexie, John Steinbeck and J.K. Rowling? They submitted. Submit any and all short stories, poems, plays, songs lyrics, and essays to the Half-Wit and you could become the next great writer. Send all submissions to jbarnabee@d125.org along with your name and ID number.

INTRAMURALS

The Stevenson Climbing Club informational meeting will be held after school Wednesday in Room 6012. For more information, visit the Climbing Club page at http://www2.d125.org/im/climbing.html.

The informational meeting for IM Basketball League and IM Volleyball League will be held at 3:45 Wednesday, November 12 in Room 2113. This is a combined meeting for both leagues. For more information visit the IM page at http://www2.d125.org/im.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Save the date! The Career Fair is coming to Stevenson on Wednesday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the Forum/West Commons. Want to know which careers match up best with your interests? Curious as to which college or courses will be best for your career choice? Learn the answer to these questions and more by attending and talking to all types of professionals in all types of careers! More than 65 representatives from medicine, law, engineering, the arts, human resources, pharmacy, management, advertising, business ownership, entrepreneurship, fashion, finance, technology and many more!

Now accepting career shadow applications for 2014-15: Career shadows are available to students throughout the year. If you are interested in learning first hand about a specific career, please email Mrs. Willock at dwillock@d125.org to set up an appointment.

CLUB NEWS

Help Animal Welfare club and Jamie Daigler (as part of his Eagle Scout project) collect supplies for PAWS, a local animal shelter. Donations may include pet food, blankets, animal toys, towels or gift cards. Boxes are located inside the Point, Sports Center and Field House entrances.

The Ambassador yearbook club meets today after school in Room 2712.

Interactive Gamers Club meets today after school in Room 1500. If you’re a fan of trading card games or role-playing games, come by to play games and learn about events here at SHS. If you’re interested in more information, or if you’re a beginner that would like to try playing any of those games, come to the meeting or email RFedewa@d125.org.

Meteorology Club meets Mondays at 3:45 in Room 2118. Contact Mr. Eriksen for more information.

Do you like geography and learning about different countries? Do you want to learn about countries you may have never heard of before? Have you taken or are you currently taking AP Human Geography? Then get Djibouti over to Geography Club! We meet every Monday after school in Room 7004. Kenya make it?

ATHLETICS

The varsity boys basketball team will have a very important meeting at 7:30 a.m. Monday in Room 2900 for anyone interested in trying out. This meeting will be short and will cover the basics of trying out. If you cannot make the meeting, you must see Coach Ambrose if you plan to try out. If you are still in a fall sport, you must still come to the meeting.

Attention sophomore boys basketball candidates: There will be a very important meeting at 3:40 Tuesday in Room 2900 for all those interested in trying out for the winter season. It is critical that you attend this meeting if you want to try out. If you cannot make the meeting, you must see Coach Hess in the ILC if you plan to try out.

The boys swimming and diving team will hold an informational meeting Tuesday in the pool balcony at 3:45. Please contact Coach Hartman at ghartman@d125.org if you cannot attend.

An information meeting for girls bowling will take place at 3:30 Wednesday in Room 2002. Please contact Coach Johnson at rjohnson@d125.org if you cannot attend.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

State officials: No more “failing” schools this year

86% of Waukegan teachers vote to ratify new contract, ending 20-day strike

Chico praised for role in helping to end Waukegan teachers strike

Bomb threat cancels activities at Neuqua Valley on Thursday; school open today

Judge again orders Crystal Lake South bleachers to come down

Batavia school district employees criticized over referendum involvement

Ex-Northwestern research doctor to pay $475K to settle grant fraud claims

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

The rise (and projected fall) of teacher union membership, influence in America

Elite colleges exploring alternative to Common Application

Obama retreats on for-profit college crackdown

This is what happens when you criticize Teach for America

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.