Thursday, Oct. 23, 2014

ISBE to Honor Math Teacher With Early Educator Award

Mathematics teacher Cassandra “Cassie” Fenton is the centerpiece of the Illinois State Board of Education’s announcement this week about Saturday’s 40th annual Those Who Excel awards banquet in Bloomington-Normal. More than 230 educators and school staff members from around the state will be recognized. Fourteen people from the Stevenson community are among the honorees.

One individual every year is chosen as the Outstanding Early Career Educator, and this year the honor goes to Fenton, who has worked at Stevenson for five years.

“Cassie is an extraordinary teacher who brings hope to students who have long been resolved as ‘math unable,’” SHS Director of Mathematics Darshan Jain said in the announcement. “As an early career educator, she has challenged the labels placed on students with needs and placed the responsibility of bridging the gap on herself. She is developing as a leader of differentiated instruction.”

State Superintendent of Education Christopher Koch said: “Learning about teachers who demonstrate a strong connection to students in their first few years of their career is exciting. I am happy to have the chance to bring attention to educators who are making a difference early in their careers because they represent the future of what I and many others still believe is one of the most important professions. Cassie is clearly a teacher who is making a difference in our classrooms.”

Plenty of Bid Opportunities in SHS Online Auction

Bids have been placed on about 60% of the items available in the fifth annual Stevenson Online Auction, which runs through 9 p.m. Monday. The highest bid so far is $1,000, placed on a one-week stay at a retreat in Utah valued at $2,800. The retreat is an outlier, however. Most of the 147 items in the auction are valued at $200 or less, and only 22 have a required minimum bid above that level. A wide variety of items are available, ranging from dining opportunities at area restaurants and gift cards, to life-improvement lessons and tickets to sporting events and theatrical productions. Click here to see what’s available, and to place a bid.

It’s Vegas in Lincolnshire, Baby!

The Stevenson High School Foundation invites you to step back into the golden era of Las Vegas during a performance by the Chicago Rat Pack at 7:30 p.m. Saturday in the West Auditorium. The Chicago Rat Pack features a trio of performers who faithfully bring back to life the music and antics of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr., with the backing of an 11-piece orchestra. The Chicago Rat Pack has appeared in New York, Las Vegas, Atlantic City and Miami, among other places. Tickets for the show are $20 in advance and can be ordered online at stevensonfoundation.org, or by calling 847-415-4121. There also is a VIP package for $40 that includes VIP seating and a post-concert reception at Sullivan’s Steakhouse. Tickets at the door Saturday night will cost $25.

Special Ed Parents Invited to SECB Meeting

The Special Ed Parent Community Board (SECB) invites parents and guardians of Stevenson special education students to its first parent gathering of the school year from 7-8 p.m. Tuesday in Room 2104. The board wants to know how parents feel the start of the school year has progressed. What went well? What didn’t go well? The board also seeks ideas for discussion topics for future meetings. If you plan to attend, please RSVP to Mara Grujanac at mgrujanac@d125.org or 847-415-4128.

SHS Asks You to Take a Short Communications Survey

Stevenson is asking students, parents and other community members to take a brief 10-question survey about the school’s communications efforts. The survey, which is anonymous, asks respondents how they get their Stevenson information and which of the school’s communication vehicles they refer. Click here to take the survey.

PATRIOT SPORTS

Click here to see today’s athletic schedule

Follow us on Twitter: @aeshssports

Wednesday’s Varsity Results

Field Hockey

Stevenson at IHSFHA Playoff: New Trier brought an end to the Patriots’ season, winning by a 3-0 score. The Trevians are the No. 2 seed in the state playoffs, while SHS was No. 15. – IHSFHA.org

Boys Ice Hockey

Glenbrook North 3, Stevenson 1: GBN (17-4, 2-2) scored twice in the third period to break a 1-1 tie and earn the Scholastic Hockey League victory at Northbrook Ice Center. The Patriots fell to 3-2 in the league and 6-5-2 overall. – Scholastic Hockey League.org, Stevenson Hockey.org.

State Football Playoff Field to be Unveiled Saturday Night

Stevenson’s varsity football team knows it will be playing in the state playoffs for the 26th consecutive season. Its opening-round opponent, on the other hand, remains a mystery. The suspense will end at 8 p.m. Saturday, when the Illinois High School Association unveils the playoff brackets on Comcast SportsNet Chicago, and at IHSA.tv and CSNChicago.com.

Bourbon Looks to Close Football Career on Top

Quarterback Willie Bourbon is very impressive on the football and baseball fields, and the senior also shines in this interview with Beth Long from High School Cube News. Bourbon talked about the Stevenson’s top-ranked football team, saying that “I truly believe we have something special here,” and also gave kudos to Patriot fans and the school. He also discussed his decision to retire from football after this season and play baseball in college.

Volleyball Alum Earns MAC Honor

Jenna Radtke (Class of 2013), a sophomore on the Northern Illinois University women’s volleyball team, recently earned Mid-American Conference West Division Defensive Player of the Week honors. Radtke, who also earned the honor during her freshman season, was selected October 13 after leading the Huskies to victories the previous weekend over Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan.

STUDENT ANNOUNCEMENTS

Graduation Cap and Gown Orders Today and Friday

Measurements for graduation caps and gowns will take place today and Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the West Building’s Patriot Lobby (by Room 2400). Visit this web page for prices and details.

Turn in Senior Party Permission Forms With Cap and Gown Orders

Seniors: Come sail away! Don’t forget to turn in your permission form for the Senior Class Party aboard the Odyssey this week. The PPA will be in the Patriot Lobby with Jostens as you complete your order for graduation cap and gowns. Don’t forget — space on the cruise is limited and it will sell out! Forms are available for download at www.d125.org/ppa/senior_class_party.aspx. The Senior Class Party will be held June 3. After this week, permission forms can be turned in to the Patriot Superstore.

Help Us Celebrate Food Day 2014 on Friday

Friday is Food Day 2014, and we need a very important ingredient: You! Use Friday to start — or celebrate —eating a healthier diet and putting your family’s diet on track. Food Day is not just a day; it’s a year-long catalyst for healthier diets and a better food system. Let’s use this energy to make a meaningful and long-lasting difference! Help us celebrate Food Day on Friday by stopping by the Wood Commons during your lunch period for a cooking demonstration and free food samples. Students from Gourmet Foods, along with the chefs and cooks from Sodexo, will be making vegetable stir fry. Find out more about Food Day, and how you can “eat real” and put our food system on a more humane, sustainable path, at foodday.org.

Showcase Audition Sign-Ups End Today

Audition sign-ups for Showcase, the annual student variety/talent show sponsored by the PPA, are today during all lunch periods in the Wood Commons. Showcase variety act auditions will be held December 4-8. Band auditions are set for December 6. Emcees/anchors auditions will be held December 2. Showcase 2015 will be held March 6-7. For more information on Showcase, visit d125.org/ppa/showcase.

Blood Drive Sign-Ups End Friday

Sign-ups for the National Honor Society’s upcoming blood drive will take place today and Friday in the East and West Commons areas. Students also can sign up online through this link: http://stevensonblooddrive.wikispaces.com/. Anyone 17 years or older can sign up with a parent permission slip. The sign-up information, forms, and downloadable permission slips are all located at the link. All permission slips should be returned to the Student Activities Office or turned in when entering Room 2111 on the date of the drive. Students must have a full free period to donate. Students may ask their applied health or PE teachers for special permission to donate during those classes. The blood drive will be held Friday, October 31, during periods 3-8 in the Wrestling Room (Room 2111). The theme is “Starve a Vampire and Save a Life!”

Last Chance for Yearbook Re-Takes on Friday

Did you have a bad hair day when your yearbook photo was taken in August? Never had your yearbook photo taken? Your last chance to have another yearbook photo is ’Friday from 10:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. This opportunity is available only for freshmen, sophomores and juniors (plus SHS teachers and staff). Seniors who want to have their yearbook portrait re-taken must call Visual Image Photography at 800-577-9570.

Want to be Known for Your Writing? Submit to the Half-Wit

Freshmen and sophomores: Do you love to write? Is it frustrating when you spend hours on an essay only to receive a letter grade? Do you want to be published? Do you want to be famous within the hallways of Stevenson? Now you can! Submit any and all short stories, poems, plays, songs lyrics, and essays to jbarnabee@d125.org along with your name and ID number, and you, yes you, could have the chance to get your writing published in the Half-Wit.

CLUB NEWS

Have you heard of GAGA? No, not Lady GAGA, but GAGA the game? It’s an Israeli game that’s all the rage! If you know it and want to play it, or if you want to learn more about it, join Club Israel today in Room 1508-1510. Any questions, contact Mrs. Argentar.

Would you like to help create designs for the Fine Arts posters and program covers? If so, please attend the Poster Design Club meeting by Room 6008 on Friday at 7:30 a.m. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Grice at jgrice@d125.org.

The Speech and Drama Team meets at 3:45 today in the East ILC.

Sophomore Class Board will have a meeting after school today in Room 1500.

Freshman Class Board is meeting today after school in Room 2119. New members are welcome.

Pass on the Beat provides service through music to the community. The club meets every Thursday after school in the Band Room.

Video Game Club meets today from 3:45-5:30 in Room 6072.

Life is tough. Law Club is the answer. Join us at 3:45 today in Room 7054. #LawClub

Table Tennis meets today in the Lower East Commons from 3:30-6:30.

COLLEGE NEWS

Students and parents: The College of Lake County in Grayslake is hosting the Lake County Area College Night (ICE Fair) tonight from 6-8 p.m. This is a great way for you to network with many colleges (more than 150), all under one roof.  Attending colleges can be obtained at www.clcillinois.edu/collegenight. See you at the fair.

Seniors: We’ve added one more Drop-In Day for you to ask questions about the Common Application, the University of Illinois’ application, transcripts, and other issues. The College/Career Center will be opened from 7:30-8:15 a.m. on Tuesday (second day of the week schedule) for you to get questions answered.

The following colleges and universities will be visiting Stevenson next week: Washington and Lee University, Monmouth College, Michigan Technological University, Coe College, Saint Mary of the Woods College, Ferris State University, Bowling Green State University,Whitman College, College of Lake County, Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design, University of Tennessee, College of the Holy Cross, University of Tulsa, Valparaiso University, University of Nebraska, North Central College and the United States Air Force recruiter.

A complete list of rep visits can be found on our Naviance site and is updated twice per week; students should get in the habit of checking Naviance and then arranging to secure a pass to visit with these reps. Procedures to sign-up: 1) Find the list of upcoming college visits on your Naviance page. 2) Sign-up for the specific college on Naviance. 3) Print the sign-up confirmation page. 4) Put your ID number on the page. 5) Have the page signed by your classroom teacher at least two days prior to the visit and bring it to the College/Career Center on the day of the visit. 6) Bring the signed page to the CCC on the day of the college visit. If the college visit occurs during your lunch or free hour, follow the same procedure, but no signature is necessary on the confirmation page.

CAREER EXPLORATION

Save the date! The Career Fair is coming to Stevenson on November 5 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. in the Forum/West Commons. Want to know which careers match up best with your interests? Curious as to which college or courses will be best for your career choice? Learn the answer to these questions and more by attending and talking to all types of professionals in all types of careers! More than 65 representatives from medicine, law, engineering, the arts, human resources, pharmacy, management, advertising, business ownership, entrepreneurship, fashion, finance, technology and many more!

Now accepting career shadow applications for 2014-15: Career shadows are available to students throughout the year. If you are interested in learning first hand about a specific career, please email Mrs. Willock at dwillock@d125.org to set up an appointment.

ATHLETICS

Preseason softball is here! Join last year’s freshman, JV and varsity players for optional morning workouts and weekend open gym sessions. Improve your softball skills, learn an appreciation for the game, make lifelong friends, and develop a sense of Stevenson pride as a member of the Patriot softball program. Workouts are from 6:30-7:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in the Cardio Room. Open gym sessions TBA. All skill levels are welcome and encouraged to attend. For more information, contact Coach Vikartofsky at avikartofsky@d125.org or visit d125.org/softball.

ILLINOIS EDUCATION HEADLINES

Waukegan schools to remain closed for rest of the week due to strike

Instagram threat forces Skokie middle school to close for second day

CPS wants to delay new test even though state already said “no”

Warren Township school board scolds member for divulging private information

Lake County educator named Illinois Elementary Art Educator of the Year

Did a central Illinois school district fail to protect student from bullying?

Chicago sells first shut-down school for $3.5 million

Lewis’ replacement as CTU leader has a message for Rahm Emanuel

Illinois State University upgrades network to support classroom technology

NATIONAL EDUCATION HEADLINES

Fake classes, inflated grades: North Carolina scandal went back two decades

New York may offer job-focused tests as graduation option

7% of New Orleans public school teachers considered ineffective

Principal punishes school newspaper for refusing to print name of its sports teams

##################################################################

The Daily Digest is compiled and edited by Jim Conrey. To subscribe or unsubscribe, contact him at jconrey@d125.org.

Daily Digest archives